MATCH: Maidenhead United (H) 03/10/23

7 minutes ago, Punce said:

I like Sutton, can you say that?   Think he will make a good career but it's asking too much for a lad to play with full confidence and prop up a wobbly team of senior staff.

Does anyone know what's happened to Rooney?

Rooney went to Macclesfield some time ago

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ceskylatic said:

Well that ain’t gonna happen after giving the “donkey” as you describe him a contract extension a few days ago.

He’s not good enough for a central midfielder. That’s my opinion but considering we have barley controlled a game of football with him being ever present in central midfield, I would say I’m being proven correct. 

He runs, he’s always fit and available. He puts in a challenge, but that’s it. Often he wins it and passes it to the opposition. Pointless and doubles his work for himself, which he then runs around and gets applauded for. 

5 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He’s not good enough for a central midfielder. That’s my opinion but considering we have barley controlled a game of football with him being ever present in central midfield, I would say I’m being proven correct. 

He runs, he’s always fit and available. He puts in a challenge, but that’s it. Often he wins it and passes it to the opposition. Pointless and doubles his work for himself, which he then runs around and gets applauded for. 

I think you’re right. In a midfield 2 he’s not good enough for a supposed promotion seeking team. In a 3 he’d do an adequate job of protecting the defence with Lundstram, plus a.n other playing further forward.

4 minutes ago, ceskylatic said:

I think you’re right. In a midfield 2 he’s not good enough for a supposed promotion seeking team. In a 3 he’d do an adequate job of protecting the defence with Lundstram, plus a.n other playing further forward.

Agreed, with the players we have one upfront would probably suit best but then we have 6 forwards on the books to try and keep happy, I suppose it's a bit like asking a joiner to hang a door for you and giving him a bag with 6 hammers in it to do the job and fuck all else.

12 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Completely agree. There are plenty of midfielders who can tackle AND pass. He is nowhere near good enough to play in a two, sits too deep, and doesn't know how to pass forward.

Even so, I think people need to calm down a bit. 11 points out of 15 is good, and we are still searching for a manager. If it takes a few more weeks so be it - why rush and end up with someone like Unsworth? We are only 2 points off the playoffs. If a new man comes in now, his target will be to reach the playoffs, no way the board will expect anything more now. I'm not sure what people want from a caretaker manager. He is picking up points and until that stops, let the process of finding a manager take place.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BerlinBlue said:

Completely agree. There are plenty of midfielders who can tackle AND pass. He is nowhere near good enough to play in a two, sits too deep, and doesn't know how to pass forward.

Even so, I think people need to calm down a bit. 11 points out of 15 is good, and we are still searching for a manager. If it takes a few more weeks so be it - why rush and end up with someone like Unsworth? We are only 2 points off the playoffs. If a new man comes in now, his target will be to reach the playoffs, no way the board will expect anything more now. I'm not sure what people want from a caretaker manager. He is picking up points and until that stops, let the process of finding a manager take place.

Agreed. Absolutely no reason to panic and we have made a long way to recover our shambolic start. 

Best bit about last night was the bookies having the draw at 6/1 at the point Lundstram was replaced by Shelton. Printing money. Although tbf I nearly cashed out when it went 1-1, as felt like they had enough time to grab another.

2 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

I maintain 352 is better for us but we need a proper RWB unless Freeman can get fully up to speed quickly.

I can see the merits to this.

2 out of the 4 central defenders on the books played in a 3 last year, conveniently Hobson RCB and Raglan LCB.

Midfield a constant issue since we've been in this league so having 3 in the centre should bolster it.

Kitching our most prolific creator so having him higher up the pitch would suggest more balls in the box.

Cant trust Sutton or Green in that RWB roll though.

Very disappointing second half. Maidenhead could easily have won on their second half performance. 

Our passing game is still very poor.

I thought Sutton played well in the first half. It was interesting to see Norwood dropping back on two occasions to talk with Hogan and Hudson-probably to tell them where he wants the ball to be played. 

The subs made no impact and as a few have said Fondop would have been a much better support for Norwood if he had been on the bench. Felt Nuttall offered nothing. 

Still, we are in a much better place than a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Norewgian Gunnar said:

Very disappointing second half. Maidenhead could easily have won on their second half performance. 

Our passing game is still very poor.

I thought Sutton played well in the first half. It was interesting to see Norwood dropping back on two occasions to talk with Hogan and Hudson-probably to tell them where he wants the ball to be played. 

The subs made no impact and as a few have said Fondop would have been a much better support for Norwood if he had been on the bench. Felt Nuttall offered nothing. 

Still, we are in a much better place than a few weeks ago. 

I was surprised Willoughby didn’t come on for Reid. Certainly would’ve offered more energy going forward when the team looked gassed.

• Like 3

The first half, while not our best performance, I was starting to see the emergence of some kind of identity that Thomson keeps eluding to. It's about building from the back, driving through the lines, and attacking with pace and aggression on the break. Although, teams seem to have cottoned on to Green and Dickinson drifting inside into the pocket and the wing switching has yet to bear fruit. A lot of comments asking what Norwood actually does and I think he's was instructed to come deep and try to dictate which I just dont think is his game, he's a poacher. Thats why I think Willoughby next to Norwood would work better as Willoughby runs the channels and does the hard work. But Reid is the In-form striker and the Willoughby-Reid combo doesn't seem to click...

That second half left me lost for words last night. It was lethargic, we couldn't control the ball, not a single period of sustained possession and their number 17 looked like Jack Grealish at times- and not just because of his horrific barnet. At Wealdstone the dropping deeper and deeper was all on SAS who are constantly treading on each-others toes and cant/wont press the ball but that wasn't the case last night as we were doing that long before Lundstram made his exit and I dont know where the problem stems from. Maidenhead unlucky to be going home with just the point in the end, all to say I predicted a 4-0 win!

From being a neutral on the Thompson full time debate, im starting to err on the side of a new man now. Although, I would like to see what he has up his sleeve after an uninterrupted week on the grass with the players. 

I dont think its all doom and gloom though, I think its clear this run of Tues/Sat games has caught up to us but; Lundstram was terrific and gives us something none of the other midfielders have and thats composure on the ball, Sutton looked to have bounced back from a shocker on Sat, Reid with another goal, Kitching with another assist.

All in all, hopeful for 3 points on Sat and I think the full week of training next week will give us a chance to regroup, recover and hone this emerging "identity" and eliminate the remnants of Unsworth's influence just in time for Dogdale away!

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, LaticsEddie said:

I can see the merits to this.

2 out of the 4 central defenders on the books played in a 3 last year, conveniently Hobson RCB and Raglan LCB.

Midfield a constant issue since we've been in this league so having 3 in the centre should bolster it.

Kitching our most prolific creator so having him higher up the pitch would suggest more balls in the box.

Cant trust Sutton or Green in that RWB roll though.

Dickenson has played wing back before. I'd also be tempted to just stick with 2 in midfield and have 3 forwards. Sheron as one of the back 3 to step up into midfield in possession.

3 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

Dickenson has played wing back before. I'd also be tempted to just stick with 2 in midfield and have 3 forwards. Sheron as one of the back 3 to step up into midfield in possession.

if youre playin a back three it has to be Raglan Hogan Hobson, IMO

• Like 1

The problem with playing three at the back ( which would accommodate our surplus of centre halves ) is obviously we have no right wing back but Kitching is not an ideal left wing back in my eyes.

He's painfully slow on the turn and despite him being great at getting a cross in they seem to be aimed at a similar trajectory. It would be better if he varied them a bit knocking one in low now and again.

On last night's game it was disappointing that we couldn't press home our first half advantage through missed chances. Norwood tried to take down a cross from the right about eight yards out when a diving header was needed and then inexplicably tried to pass to Reid after he'd got control from a corner when about ten yards out.

Lundstram's performance was very encouraging although he did understandably tire.    

41 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

if youre playin a back three it has to be Raglan Hogan Hobson, IMO

Depends how we want to play, I'd be happy to play those 3 if we're going to try to go direct. I'd like us to dominate the ball a bit more and having someone who could step into midfield might allow us to keep the ball a bit more.

4 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Is this the same Sheron that’s played every minute of 5 game unbeaten run. . . 

Does he get any credit for that? 

Why was he ever present under Unsworth. 

Why did he get a contract extension. 

Why has ST played him in every game. 

I’m not saying he’s amazing, they’re better midfielders out there. But he’s a honest grafter, who is always a 7 out of 10, and if he is replaced would still be a very useful squad player. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Is this the same Sheron that’s played every minute of 5 game unbeaten run. . . 

Does he get any credit for that? 

Why was he ever present under Unsworth. 

Why did he get a contract extension. 

Why has ST played him in every game. 

I’m not saying he’s amazing, they’re better midfielders out there. But he’s a honest grafter, who is always a 7 out of 10, and if he is replaced would still be a very useful squad player. 

He’s played because he’s fit and our options in that position have been piss poor. 

7 out of 10 each game ? Absolutely no chance. He gives his all, but I could find you dozens of players who play on a Sunday who will run for our club. 

He is piss poor, technically. Why he got an extension ? No idea but I didn’t agree with it at the time and I still don’t. 

The amount of times I praise him for winning the ball, and follow with the words,  he’s gone and given it away again, is countless. 

2 hours ago, LaticsEddie said:

The first half, while not our best performance, I was starting to see the emergence of some kind of identity that Thomson keeps eluding to. It's about building from the back, driving through the lines, and attacking with pace and aggression on the break. Although, teams seem to have cottoned on to Green and Dickinson drifting inside into the pocket and the wing switching has yet to bear fruit. A lot of comments asking what Norwood actually does and I think he's was instructed to come deep and try to dictate which I just dont think is his game, he's a poacher. Thats why I think Willoughby next to Norwood would work better as Willoughby runs the channels and does the hard work. But Reid is the In-form striker and the Willoughby-Reid combo doesn't seem to click...

That second half left me lost for words last night. It was lethargic, we couldn't control the ball, not a single period of sustained possession and their number 17 looked like Jack Grealish at times- and not just because of his horrific barnet. At Wealdstone the dropping deeper and deeper was all on SAS who are constantly treading on each-others toes and cant/wont press the ball but that wasn't the case last night as we were doing that long before Lundstram made his exit and I dont know where the problem stems from. Maidenhead unlucky to be going home with just the point in the end, all to say I predicted a 4-0 win!

From being a neutral on the Thompson full time debate, im starting to err on the side of a new man now. Although, I would like to see what he has up his sleeve after an uninterrupted week on the grass with the players. 

I dont think its all doom and gloom though, I think its clear this run of Tues/Sat games has caught up to us but; Lundstram was terrific and gives us something none of the other midfielders have and thats composure on the ball, Sutton looked to have bounced back from a shocker on Sat, Reid with another goal, Kitching with another assist.

All in all, hopeful for 3 points on Sat and I think the full week of training next week will give us a chance to regroup, recover and hone this emerging "identity" and eliminate the remnants of Unsworth's influence just in time for Dogdale away!

I didn't see last night so can't comment, but from what I have seen over the past few weeks, and heard from those that went last night, I'm sorry but the only identity I see, is us dropping deeper and deeper in the 2H of games inviting teams onto us.

16 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He’s played because he’s fit and our options in that position have been piss poor. 

7 out of 10 each game ? Absolutely no chance. He gives his all, but I could find you dozens of players who play on a Sunday who will run for our club. 

He is piss poor, technically. Why he got an extension ? No idea but I didn’t agree with it at the time and I still don’t. 

The amount of times I praise him for winning the ball, and follow with the words,  he’s gone and given it away again, is countless. 

😂😂

So he’s on a par with a Sunday league player. . righto.