MATCH: Maidenhead United (H) 03/10/23

22 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Have I seriously just read suggestions of playing Norwood and Sutton in central midfield ?

Fucking hell, that’s up there with booing every game. Shambles

Guilty your honour! (regarding Norwood). I did caveat the comment with something like "call me crazy" but we're just not utilising him correctly at the moment and we are short of a creator in midfield. I think he might perform very well on the right side of midfield. Just thought it worth a try if we are not prepared to invest presently in anyone else (which I suspect we won't until people are offloaded). 

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

People saying Norwood retains the ball well seriously haven't been paying attention. He gives it away plenty. I'm not convinced at all by him

I don't see as many as plenty do but that's where I am. Looks like he's running through treacle. Missed a very good chance last night and contributed nothing else 

10 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

It's not fair enough at all, it's the opinion of an 8 year old

Why does it have to get personal though, I understand if yours differs but it doesn't make it any more credible, I've seen enough to suggest that Dickinson is a better option and also that he isn't what we are looking for in the centre of the park, that could change but as things stand that's where I'm at.

26 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

It's not fair enough at all, it's the opinion of an 8 year old

Well yeah. But I can’t stop you from having an opinion of an 8 year old can I haha. 

I know that wasn’t your actual opinion. 

Edited by LightDN123

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Why does it have to get personal though, I understand if yours differs but it doesn't make it any more credible, I've seen enough to suggest that Dickinson is a better option and also that he isn't what we are looking for in the centre of the park, that could change but as things stand that's where I'm at.

Fair enough, apologies. I just think it's bad form to write off a player when he's barely kicked a ball for us. 

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Yardy- seriously? 

You’re an intelligent bloke. 

You’re now comparing Dickenson to Ward. One has a played a few minutes in one game. The other is regular starter. 

It’s completely fine to form an opinion on Dicky. We’ve now seen him multiple times. 

Ward has played training matches, and made one appearance. There is zero credibility in saying- I’ve made my mind up after so little competitive football. 

18 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I understand if yours differs but it doesn't make it any more credible

Sorry- but it does. 

You’ve either have the best eye for a player known to man, or you’re making snap judgements based on a nonsensical context. 

IE- he’s shit because he didn’t dominate in a training game. 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Yardy- seriously? 

You’re an intelligent bloke. 

You’re now comparing Dickenson to Ward. One has a played a few minutes in one game. The other is regular starter. 

It’s completely fine to form an opinion on Dicky. We’ve now seen him multiple times. 

Ward has played training matches, and made one appearance. There is zero credibility in saying- I’ve made my mind up after so little competitive football. 

I'm not looking for credibility I just don't see him getting in our team when fit, these training matches what we had have transitioned pretty accurately in to this season so I wouldn't totally dismiss the form shown by players pre season, probably best parked for now though till the lads been given opportunity to prove his worth.

10 hours ago, LaticsEddie said:

The first half, while not our best performance, I was starting to see the emergence of some kind of identity that Thomson keeps eluding to. It's about building from the back, driving through the lines, and attacking with pace and aggression on the break. Although, teams seem to have cottoned on to Green and Dickinson drifting inside into the pocket and the wing switching has yet to bear fruit. A lot of comments asking what Norwood actually does and I think he's was instructed to come deep and try to dictate which I just dont think is his game, he's a poacher. Thats why I think Willoughby next to Norwood would work better as Willoughby runs the channels and does the hard work. But Reid is the In-form striker and the Willoughby-Reid combo doesn't seem to click...

That second half left me lost for words last night. It was lethargic, we couldn't control the ball, not a single period of sustained possession and their number 17 looked like Jack Grealish at times- and not just because of his horrific barnet. At Wealdstone the dropping deeper and deeper was all on SAS who are constantly treading on each-others toes and cant/wont press the ball but that wasn't the case last night as we were doing that long before Lundstram made his exit and I dont know where the problem stems from. Maidenhead unlucky to be going home with just the point in the end, all to say I predicted a 4-0 win!

From being a neutral on the Thompson full time debate, im starting to err on the side of a new man now. Although, I would like to see what he has up his sleeve after an uninterrupted week on the grass with the players. 

I dont think its all doom and gloom though, I think its clear this run of Tues/Sat games has caught up to us but; Lundstram was terrific and gives us something none of the other midfielders have and thats composure on the ball, Sutton looked to have bounced back from a shocker on Sat, Reid with another goal, Kitching with another assist.

All in all, hopeful for 3 points on Sat and I think the full week of training next week will give us a chance to regroup, recover and hone this emerging "identity" and eliminate the remnants of Unsworth's influence just in time for Dogdale away!

Great summary this. Aligns with my thoughts. It was thoroughly disappointing and that equaliser, from an opposition who barely deserved it was such a big echo from the points dropped at home to Halifax, Solihull, Boreham Wood and Altrincham last season.

Lundstram will be a big player for us when fully fit. Looks after the ball, piles through the lines and goes looking for the ball when not in possession.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I see the right wing back I put up on here a couple of months ago has gone back to Lee Johnson's Fleetwood but is yet to catch

Did you email the club?

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I don't see as many as plenty do but that's where I am. Looks like he's running through treacle. Missed a very good chance last night and contributed nothing else 

He's missed a few very easy chances. He might still bag 25 this season but I'm not convinced

32 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

Maybe so, but he was the best player on the pitch by a country mile.

There’s a good number of opposition players turned up here and looked very good. I don’t know if it’s a combination of raising their game against us or if they are genuinely decent players or a case of this awful habit of us standing off them and going to sleep after 70 minutes. First half last night the opposition didn’t get a look in. Second half . We stand off them and stop pressing, and look what happens. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

If you’re going to argue a point, at least get your facts right… Ward has started 3 games for Latics but has been subbed off in all three (two when injured).

🙄

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

If you’re going to argue a point, at least get your facts right… Ward has started 3 games for Latics but has been subbed off in all three (two when injured).

🙄

Always good to be factually correct. 😁

Only adds to my point though, not only has he hardly played he keeps breaking down which is hardly conducive for top form. Let’s get him fit and see him have a good run, then everyone can opine away. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, True Tic said:

There’s a good number of opposition players turned up here and looked very good. I don’t know if it’s a combination of raising their game against us or if they are genuinely decent players or a case of this awful habit of us standing off them and going to sleep after 70 minutes. First half last night the opposition didn’t get a look in. Second half . We stand off them and stop pressing, and look what happens. 

Spot on. First half they looked nothing. Anybody can look good when you constantly back off and give them room to look like a non-league Pele. That second half was a shocker. Only re-inforces for me that something has been seriously wrong with the fitness regime all season - we look knackered.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Spot on. First half they looked nothing. Anybody can look good when you constantly back off and give them room to look like a non-league Pele. That second half was a shocker. Only re-inforces for me that something has been seriously wrong with the fitness regime all season - we look knackered.

I disagree. They looked like they might be a threat on the counter, they definitely had more up top than say, Oxford.

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Love the idea that professional sportspeople wouldn't be fit with the abundance of nutritionists and conditionists involved these days.

I get it, and tend to agree but you have to take into account confidence, fixture congestion and playing 4-4-2 where you cant afford any passengers.