MATCH: Maidenhead United (H) 03/10/23

Just now, True Tic said:

I agree, bubble burst

To be fair he’s trying to get a tune out of Unsworth’s lot…after an initial boost we seem to be reverting to type.

A reasonable 1st half but we didn’t create an awful lot. 2nd half we were absolutely shocking and in the end very fortunate to escape with a point!

Like I’ve said before I’m not sure Thommo or any other manager could get us challenging with this squad!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, L1onheartNew said:

First half, excellent. Lots of Redfearn influence in the play.

Second half, n'excellent. Lots of Unsworth influence in the play. Ie defend for your life like there is a minute to go against Man City for a full 45.

That is all.

What?

5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

To be fair he’s trying to get a tune out of Unsworth’s lot…after an initial boost we seem to be reverting to type.

A reasonable 1st half but we didn’t create an awful lot. 2nd half we were absolutely shocking and in the end very fortunate to escape with a point!

Like I’ve said before I’m not sure Thommo or any other manager could get us challenging with this squad!

"Reverting to type" is the manager's fault for allowing it. I have never ever seen the legendary 'Manager Bounce' at BP, so if they can do it once, they can do it again.  Subs, to me, didn't help

He's not the man for the job.

First half was reasonable without creating too many chances, their keeper hardly called into action. Second half woeful, aimless balls forward and no composure. .Hudson long balls no attempts to go short and build attacks. We

just allowed them to play their way into the game and an equaliser looked on the cards for the last  half hour. Bright spot was Lundstram just need three like him!

• Like 1

We couldn't handle their number 17 second half, he was all over the pitch dictating play. We are still a couple of players short in midfield and I'm not sure bringing Nuttall on was the right option. Very lucky to get a point after a promising 1st half when we should have put the game to bed. I like the look of Lundstram and hope we can get a full 90 out of him soon. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I think they need reminding that there’s 90 minutes in a game of football not 70, we switch off time and time again around that time, it’s bizarre. I think whoever ends up with the manager needs to be reminding the first thing to be addressed is dealing with physically large but utterly shit football teams in this league and the tactics they use against us . There was absolutely no need to throw that away. They were awful, truly awful and they were getting the better of us. Nuttall is terrible most of the time. I’d have kept Reid on and as controversial as it sounds I’d drop Nuttall and put Fondop on the bench on Saturday. Can’t figure Norwood out. Why is he playing out wide and seemingly in midfield . 
tonight felt like another night of DU. Really disappointed. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SpotTheBall85 said:

Very much an unsworth type performance. We were lucky to get a draw. They had 2 cleared off the line. I'm not being funny and may sound entitled but I expect better. Should be putting majority of the teams in this league to the sword, especially at home.

You don’t sound entitled at all, with the recruitment and investment in this club we are massively underperforming. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The galling thing is that, without the equaliser, Latics are in 7th which would be a  psychological boost. The result tonight is a very definite negative which could have repercussions. Thompson may have done relatively well, compared to Unsworth, but he doesn't have enough to take the team forward.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Norwood a very expensive mistake, could have acquired 2-3 quality players in the positions they were needed in for the cost.

Yes, I’m coming to the same conclusion, the squad is totally unbalanced and we can’t get a grip on matches. It is utterly dreadful to watch and equally pointless having a (supposedly) great attacking line up if you can’t give them the service.

Norwood works hard but mostly in the wrong areas and his frustration is evident which probably doesn’t help anyone.

1 minute ago, Wardie said:

The galling thing is that, without the equaliser, Latics are in 7th which would be a  psychological boost. The result tonight is a very definite negative which could have repercussions. Thompson may have done relatively well, compared to Unsworth, but he doesn't have enough to take the team forward.

Don't know how you can say that. You can't polish a turd.

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Norwood a very expensive mistake, could have acquired 2-3 quality players in the positions they were needed in for the cost.

I feel you may be right.
Norwood should be ripping defences apart by now.
It's not happening.

Just now, Ritchierich said:

Yes, I’m coming to the same conclusion, the squad is totally unbalanced and we can’t get a grip on matches. It is utterly dreadful to watch and equally pointless having a (supposedly) great attacking line up if you can’t give them the service.

Norwood works hard but mostly in the wrong areas and his frustration is evident which probably doesn’t help anyone.

he’s got a good enough track record to suggest the service isn’t the best and it’s not him. He needs to do more but we don’t make it easy. All our crosses come from left full back and rarely from the wingers and chances of a through ball from mid are non existent. I feel when midfield is sorted and we do boss games he’ll score a lot more. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Yes, a total lack of a will to search for a second or third goal and finish it. Felt almost like the players thought one goal would suffice. Maidenhead could have easily won that in the second half . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, diggleblue said:

Don't know how you can say that. You can't polish a turd.

A turd! With the squad assembled? This squad, on paper, as the bookies confirmed, should be promotion candidates. Unsworth fucked it up, Thompson, as much as he has manged to get them initially playing better, is not a manager with a sense of identity. He is not the man to take charge, as much as I respect him, he just isn't up to it. We need someone with experience and a track record.

Let's face it, we ain't going anywhere this season, it's done, gone beyond us and a mid-table to maybe just missing the playoffs is on the cards.

Miracles do not happen.

2 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

he’s got a good enough track record to suggest the service isn’t the best and it’s not him. He needs to do more but we don’t make it easy. All our crosses come from left full back and rarely from the wingers and chances of a through ball from mid are non existent. I feel when midfield is sorted and we do boss games he’ll score a lot more. 

Sorting midfield out is obviously the priority but we have a bloated squad of mostly very average players even for this level so I think it will be next season before we can start to make progress. 

The irony is the club talked about a few seasons with stop the rot then stabilise then challenge as a rough three season target…..I think we got a bit carried away with some of the signings due the hype but in reality most of them have barely made an impression on professional football and we are still weak all over the pitch