Norwood

13 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It won't..and I appreciate the point's being lost by some.

Fantastic stats and absolutely brilliant to have when the team are playing well.  Like yesterday.

But when the team don't play well, he's as bad as any of them - and if he and the team played well every week, we'd be top of the league, but we're not - regardless of what the individual stats say.

I want to see more performances from him like yesterday and occasionally digging us out of the shit when the team's played badly with a winner/equaliser to nick a result when we don't really deserve one.

Then I think we'd have the best player in the league...

So you will only drop this ridiculous point of view if he single handedly gets us promotion we are 3 points of the play offs mainly because of him.

Norwood is doing his bit its time some of the other players did the same on a consistent basis.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

So you will only drop this ridiculous point of view if he single handedly gets us promotion we are 3 points of the play offs mainly because of him.

Norwood is doing his bit its time some of the other players did the same on a consistent basis.

Nope.  Didn't say that as you know.

Just think he could come up with the goods on occasions when things aren't going well.

Yes, his team-mates need to step up too, but as a senior figure, with Championship experience on his CV, I think the other players should be looking to him for inspiration on bad days.  I don't think he provides it, I'm afraid.

Just an opinion.

Untouchable on his day, like...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Fantastic stats and absolutely brilliant to have when the team are playing well.  Like yesterday.

But when the team don't play well, he's as bad as any of them - and if he and the team played well every week, we'd be top of the league, but we're not - regardless of what the individual stats say.

I want to see more performances from him like yesterday and occasionally digging us out of the shit when the team's played badly with a winner/equaliser to nick a result when we don't really deserve one.

Like his last min goal against Chesterfield ? His quality goal v Rochdale which got us the 3 points ? His goal v Woking which got us 3 points ? His goal v D&R which got us a point? 

Like I have said before, he’s not that type of player to create himself chances. But if you can supply him with chances, he will score. All his goals are the same, that is just the player he is. Stones supplied him yesterday and he scored goals. 

• Like 7

Just now, LightDN123 said:

Like his last min goal against Chesterfield ? His quality goal v Rochdale which got us the 3 points ? His goal v Woking which got us 3 points ? His goal v D&R which got us a point? 

Like I have said before, he’s not that type of player to create himself chances. But if you can supply him with chances, he will score. All his goals are the same, that is just the player he is. Stones supplied him yesterday and he scored goals. 

Chesterfield I'll give you.  The team played well in all the others..

You are right about him needing a supply line.  But if he doesn't get it, which has happened in a lot of games this season, he's effectively redundant.  Not his fault, you might argue but then neither should he get a bye from team contribution.

As I say, quality on his day and if he can adapt his game slightly on days when he's not getting a supply line, he'd be the best player in the league..

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Chesterfield I'll give you.  The team played well in all the others..

You are right about him needing a supply line.  But if he doesn't get it, which has happened in a lot of games this season, he's effectively redundant.  Not his fault, you might argue but then neither should he get a bye from team contribution.

As I say, quality on his day and if he can adapt his game slightly on days when he's not getting a supply line, he'd be the best player in the league..

Done it to death, but he’s just not that type of player. He needs someone to create chances for him, that is his drawback. End of the day he’s playing in the national league, he’s not a perfect player that you and a couple other seem to be wanting.

Enjoy it whilst he is here rather than critique is my view. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

It’s really important to remember we’re talking about levels of great here, no one has ever said they don’t rate him, or can’t see he’s our best player.

He scored a lovely goal against Gateshead, but did little else. The argument will always be. Well he’s done his job then hasn’t he. 

Yesterday he scored two different types of goals, but he also worked really hard. His pressing was very good, so we got the benefit of his goals AND his workrate. I don’t expect him to create chances for himself- he’s not Messi. I’d just like him to produce yesterday more often. Because he goes from a great goal scorer to the best player in the division. 

I was talking to the lads about this in the car, and I got shot down- with the line, we’ve had plenty of strikers who work really hard but don’t score when it matters. Which if I have to choose between goals and workrate then it’s obviously goals. 

But that’s the point- we don’t have to choose with Norwood he can do both, he does do both-  sometimes. I don’t think it’s unfair to ask him him to do it more often, because when he does both we often win. 

And we all want to see our team win. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

He scored a lovely goal against Gateshead, but did little else. The argument will always be. Well he’s done his job then hasn’t he.

You must have missed his lovely back header, from an overhit cross, which would have been a tap in had Moore actually made a run into the box and not had his head in the clouds.

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It’s really important to remember we’re talking about levels of great here, no one has ever said they don’t rate him, or can’t see he’s our best player.

Yesterday he scored two different types of goals, but he also worked really hard. His pressing was very good, so we got the benefit of his goals AND his workrate. I don’t expect him to create chances for himself- he’s not Messi. I’d just like him to produce yesterday more often. Because he goes from a great goal scorer to the best player in the division. 

I was talking to the lads about this in the car, and I got shot down- with the line, we’ve had plenty of strikers who work really hard but don’t score when it matters. Which if I have to choose between goals and workrate then it’s obviously goals. 

But that’s the point- we don’t have to choose with Norwood he can do both, he does do both-  sometimes. I don’t think it’s unfair to ask him him to do it more often, because when he does both we often win. 

And we all want to see our team win. 

I see your point but I do think that’s why Stones has been brought in. Stones does a lot of running and I think Mellon recognised we maybe need to fresher legs next to Norwood.

Be important to extend his loan if we can. Issue is, if he scores a couple more here, Wigan might fancy him themselves. 

• Like 1

Just now, oafcmetty said:

You must have missed his lovely back header, from an overhit cross, which would have been a tap in had Moore actually made a run into the box and not had his head in the clouds.

They’re 10 second moments from a high quality footballer, and can’t be compared to yesterday when did so much dirty work to add to his obvious sublime techinque. 

Just now, LightDN123 said:

I see your point but I do think that’s why Stones has been brought in. Stones does a lot of running and I think Mellon recognised we maybe need to fresher legs next to Norwood.

Be important to extend his loan if we can. Issue is, if he scores a couple more here, Wigan might fancy him themselves. 

Yeah, spot on. 

I also acknowledge that at 33 he’s maybe not capable of that every week, so like you say Mellon has brought Stones in to do some of his running and feed him. Which is working really well to be fair. 

Id love Stones to be extended for as long as possible, but I think we’re going to struggle given his form. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

Maybe this shows a problem analysing football. Norwood is not fast enough or tricky enough to take a loose ball a distance from goal and make something out of nothing. (Those players are worth millions!)

Norwood is a good finisher, so needs a team around him bringing the ball forward and giving it to him much closer to goal.  So when our team is sitting back, not closing down to win it in forward positions, and passing badly, as has happened in our poor performances, how can Norwood possibly just win the game for us anyway? We really need to be realistic if being critical.

Norwood is an arrogant personality, but at the moment we need him, even if he isn’t great for team spirit.

Couple of things I've noticed about him are he is quick in and around the penalty area particularly when he sniffs out a chance he really comes to life which all good players do and another thing not since Jonathan Forte have I seen a striker you just know will stick it in the bottom corner one on one with the keeper, his mannerisms have been analysed to death and at 33 he ain't going to change but no doubt about it he's on fire at the minute and Mellon appears to be getting the best put of him. 

3 hours ago, Pidge said:

Maybe this shows a problem analysing football. Norwood is not fast enough or tricky enough to take a loose ball a distance from goal and make something out of nothing. (Those players are worth millions!)

Norwood is a good finisher, so needs a team around him bringing the ball forward and giving it to him much closer to goal.  So when our team is sitting back, not closing down to win it in forward positions, and passing badly, as has happened in our poor performances, how can Norwood possibly just win the game for us anyway? We really need to be realistic if being critical.

Norwood is an arrogant personality, but at the moment we need him, even if he isn’t great for team spirit.

I don't mind that bit of arrogance particularly from the main striker.

I want him to have abit of an ego, because you need that if you are a goalscorer and that belief that you can go out every game and score, that will win us games.

I don't think the other players will mind it too much especially if he is delivering which he is.

Edited by GlossopLatic

50 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Don’t agree with any of what you’ve said above…😮

’not fast enough… to take a loose ball a distance from goal…’ 

I give you the third goal at Barnet

’an arrogant personality’ 

Know the guy do you?  I wonder if many of his teammates would agree with you?

For me, the problem is the micro analysis that seems to be prevalent at the moment. 

I'm just glad that he is finally showing what he is capable of at this level 👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Don’t agree with any of what you’ve said above…😮

’not fast enough… to take a loose ball a distance from goal…’ 

I give you the third goal at Barnet

’an arrogant personality’ 

Know the guy do you?  I wonder if many of his teammates would agree with you?

For me, the problem is the micro analysis that seems to be prevalent at the moment. 

I'm just glad that he is finally showing what he is capable of at this level 👍

LOL, I do love forums. There is always someone who will disagree with everything you said! 😂

I’m not sure the 3rd goal at Barnet proves Norwood is fast running with the ball. Once the defender fell over, Norwood was on his own. Even I wouldn’t have been caught! He is quick off the mark and gets half a yard. Great in the box.

I stick with my opinion that fans are wrong to expect him to make a winning goal when the rest are playing poorly. He needs support and some decent passes to feed off. Then he will continue to show us what he does do well.

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

..Norwood is an arrogant personality, but at the moment we need him, even if he isn’t great for team spirit.

Generous and good natured strikers probably don't score as many goals as the greedy and arrogant ones and how do you know he "isn't great for the team spirit"? We have no idea what the other players think of him and after the Reid/McGahey fiasco, I doubt they will be voicing any derogatory opinions. :D 

7 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Generous and good natured strikers probably don't score as many goals as the greedy and arrogant ones and how do you know he "isn't great for the team spirit"? We have no idea what the other players think of him and after the Reid/McGahey fiasco, I doubt they will be voicing any derogatory opinions. :D 

I was actually defending him Wardie.  There are plenty on here saying they don’t like his body language and lack of smile and lack of goals in games when the team are playing badly.

I never said he was greedy, and a little bit of arrogance in a striker on the pitch is a good thing. Off the pitch, less so.

• Like 1

Just now, Pidge said:

I was actually defending him Wardie.  There are plenty on here saying they don’t like his body language and lack of smile and lack of goals in games when the team are playing badly.

I never said he was greedy, and a little bit of arrogance in a striker on the pitch is a good thing. Off the pitch, less so.

Yeah, sorry, the 'greedy' tag was my own thoughts. I think body language thing can be deceptive and open to interpretation. I used to think Andy Murray's body language was quite bad and he looked knackered even before a ball was hit, but he didn't do too badly.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Yeah, sorry, the 'greedy' tag was my own thoughts. I think body language thing can be deceptive and open to interpretation. I used to think Andy Murray's body language was quite bad and he looked knackered even before a ball was hit, but he didn't do too badly.

I think Hobson looks half asleep and lazy in his body language but he’s our best defender. 

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

He's a fox in the box, Stones is just the sort of foraging  player he needed beside him.

• Like 1