The Christmasgate Videos

In my job, and the jobs of many others on here I imagine, if I posted anything disparaging about the company I work for, or criticised a decision made by someone more senior than myself on social media. I would expect a punishment of some sort. Now some may feel the club has over reacted but i don’t think a response like this would be exclusive to the business of football. I also have no issue with Mellon running the club along very strict lines in terms of player responsibility. 

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Melon’s post match is absolutely superb, and everything I want to hear after yesterday. It also makes a mockery of the those that tried to minimise it as ‘bantz’ 

Player Suspended - sends a message of the professionalism required and creates the right culture. Backed up by the manager saying exactly the right things and what he expects from the players.

Brilliant from the 5 promotions Micky. 

I hear what you're saying, but did the lad really mean any harm by it? 

The suspending/sacking/reprimanding/degrading players for little isn't something we want to go back to. Deal with it internally. Keep your council. Have you read some of the things just this week Rick Holden has talked about on Facebook that our best side ever got up to??

I'm yet to hear Mellon's interview, but I can imagine it's spot on. The guy's the right choice. There's no one better to sort this mess out...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The suspending/sacking/reprimanding/degrading players for little isn't something we want to go back to. Deal with it internally. Keep your council. Have you read some of the things just this week Rick Holden has talked about on Facebook that our best side ever got up to??

I'm yet to hear Mellon's interview, but I can imagine it's spot on. The guy's the right choice. There's no one better to sort this mess out...

I’m sure he didn’t mean anything by it but he should have had an awareness or the foresight to see how it might look to others, particularly on the back of another garbage display. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

This is where I’m at. Rather than a proportionate response to a relatively minor incident that was overreacted to, I wonder if Mellon and the club have used it as an opportunity to lay the law down and sharpen a few minds in the squad. ‘No more fucking around, this club is about the serious business of getting promoted.’

• Like 5

I'm gonna make a bold prediction here and suggest that I think this will be the turning point in our season, Mellons point return is pretty reasonable anyway but I've a feeling we are going to kick on now over the next few weeks. Sometimes it takes a drama to refocus and I have a feeling this could be it.

• Like 4

A incredibly daft thing to say in light of a) the team, including Reid, seriously underperforming this season and, b) the club’s 75-year-old chairman currently rowing the Atlantic for charity and eating a bag of turkey and stuffing crisps for his Christmas dinner.

Gardner too, asking the fans if they’ve ever had to work at Christmas, just smacks of a serious lack of understanding of the situation. A shame because most of the lads playing for us look like the kind that’ll have mates who get up at five in the morning to work a job they don’t like.

Hopefully this will be our reverse ‘night at the greyhounds’ and we’ll push on for the rest of the season. 🤞🏻

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

hear what you're saying, but did the lad really mean any harm by it? 

We talked about this on the way up to the game today. 

We’ve all said something in work- perhaps under our breath or in private and I’m not overly arsed about what he said. But to film it Joe??? It’s not silly or naive it’s much more than that. It’s contemptuous for your surroundings and other pro’s.  While his head should be on training he’s more concerned in that moment with his likes and being a smart arse. Some of the other lads looked visibly hurt today when they were being tarred with the same brush. Micky said in his post match, I’m really pleased with the lads that played today - we have no problem with them. And he was absolutely right because Reid’s actions created false perception of them all not giving a fuck. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm gonna make a bold prediction here and suggest that I think this will be the turning point in our season, Mellons point return is pretty reasonable anyway but I've a feeling we are going to kick on now over the next few weeks. Sometimes it takes a drama to refocus and I have a feeling this could be it.

Was going to say the exact same Yardy, I think you’re bang on- they played like men possessed today, it obviously hurt them- and inadvertently it could really push us on now. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I’m sure he didn’t mean anything by it but he should have had an awareness or the foresight to see how it might look to others, particularly on the back of another garbage display. 

Ye he should have remembered there are plenty of snakes out there that support the club he plays for, all too happy to post on twitter to make it miles bigger than necessary. People on here and Twitter making out like worst thing ever

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

This is where I’m at. Rather than a proportionate response to a relatively minor incident that was overreacted to, I wonder if Mellon and the club have used it as an opportunity to lay the law down and sharpen a few minds in the squad. ‘No more fucking around, this club is about the serious business of getting promoted.’

Lets hope so.  I think we can turn this into a positive.  Anger is an Energy!

I don't like the idea of Reid being hauled over the coals for it, though.  Sensible thing to do?  No...  Malicious?  Definitely not...I don't think he's that kind of chap.

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

i don't like the idea of Reid being hauled over the coals for it, though.  Sensible thing to do?  No...  Malicious?  Definitely not...I don't think he's that kind of chap.

Nah. It's 2023. He should be sacked and never work in football again. That's the only proportionate response 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I don't like the idea of Reid being hauled over the coals for it, though.  Sensible thing to do?  No...  Malicious?  Definitely not...I don't think he's that kind of chap.

Fully agree on all that. Same for McGahey.

17 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Ye he should have remembered there are plenty of snakes out there that support the club he plays for, all too happy to post on twitter to make it miles bigger than necessary. People on here and Twitter making out like worst thing ever

He should have more importantly remembered he has a Manager who obviously doesn't like having the piss taken out of him....

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

That's the point though, isn't it? He should have known better..and any player who joined in should have known better. Anything put on social media stays there, even when it's removed because it's been spread like a fucking virus before you know it.

Reid has provided the club with the perfect excuse to never play him again and possibly terminate his contract. McGahey probably treading on thin ice too.

Social media is a dangerous game. Reid should be given every opportunity to present his side of the how's and why's of what he did. Maybe he will come out of it without too much damage but somehow, I doubt it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

He should have remembered his position, the responsibility it carries and not to be so bloody blasé about it. We all say stuff but to then put it out on social fooking media? Come on. We were embarrassing again on Saturday , Added to that the fact his elderly boss his rowing the Atlantic slap bang in the middle of Christmas. Hate this saying but there’s such a thing as reading the room . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnnyPimp said:

A incredibly daft thing to say in light of a) the team, including Reid, seriously underperforming this season and, b) the club’s 75-year-old chairman currently rowing the Atlantic for charity and eating a bag of turkey and stuffing crisps for his Christmas dinner.

Gardner too, asking the fans if they’ve ever had to work at Christmas, just smacks of a serious lack of understanding of the situation. A shame because most of the lads playing for us look like the kind that’ll have mates who get up at five in the morning to work a job they don’t like.

Hopefully this will be our reverse ‘night at the greyhounds’ and we’ll push on for the rest of the season. 🤞🏻

Did Gardner really ask that? I mean if he has I can’t help but wonder where some of these players come from, are they that insulated from reality or have they been kept in the attic ?