The Christmasgate Videos

2 hours ago, True Tic said:

Did Gardner really ask that? I mean if he has I can’t help but wonder where some of these players come from, are they that insulated from reality or have they been kept in the attic ? 

No, He said "Do you mean everyone" when people was calling them ungrateful 

9 hours ago, JoeP said:

I hear what you're saying, but did the lad really mean any harm by it? 

The suspending/sacking/reprimanding/degrading players for little isn't something we want to go back to. Deal with it internally. Keep your council. Have you read some of the things just this week Rick Holden has talked about on Facebook that our best side ever got up to??

I'm yet to hear Mellon's interview, but I can imagine it's spot on. The guy's the right choice. There's no one better to sort this mess out...

Yes, but in Tricky Ricky’s day there were no smart phones and no social media.

Assuming it’s Reid’s first offence (with us) then I’d be happy to see him fined and back in the fold, on the understanding that if he commits another then he’s out. But if Mellon does freeze him out, Reid only has himself to blame.

Suspended pending internal investigation.

He will get to make his case behind closed doors.

The bit of video is probably only part of what went on.

I'll trust Mellon to make the right call be that a bollocking/fine/final warning/dismissal or something else.

I don't expect to hear anymore from the club until it is concluded- and even then I'd expect most of it to stay 'in the club'

He’s got history for this type of stuff…if he’s broken the clubs social media rules then he deserves to be reprimanded!

He comes across as a little immature and may well have been warned about his behaviour previously.

He’s not youth or academy he’s an experienced professional who should know better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I think that the club is making too much of this incident - fine the guy, ask him to apologise, move on fer chrissakes 😮

Is the club making too much of this? Following procedure that's it, the fans are making it out to be worse. Slap on the wrists and move on. He has been stupid/naive. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, disjointed said:

Is the club making too much of this? Following procedure that's it, the fans are making it out to be worse. Slap on the wrists and move on. He has been stupid/naive. 

Depends on what rules there are set in the dressing room for the players too follow, these are things we aren't privy too and probably shouldn't be. Reid may have already been warned on this issue, and Mellon himself may not take too kindly to banter posts on social media he comes across as dour Scot who takes his role as manager seriously and demands a certain conduct from his players.

For the record I don't think this incident shows that the players don't care, if we had thrown in a stinker of a performance yesterday and were dicked 4-0 then yes I'd be strongly questioning the mentality of the current squad. However they've come out yesterday and performed, they need to follow that up Saturday too. Its also been suggested that some of the players took issue with Reid on what he posted. Id say thats a good thing it means that there is a sense of accountability in the dressing room and not just coming from the manager and coaching staff either.

It could as some say be a turning point for some of the players and it might be a wake up call for some of the others in the squad too.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm gonna make a bold prediction here and suggest that I think this will be the turning point in our season, Mellons point return is pretty reasonable anyway but I've a feeling we are going to kick on now over the next few weeks. Sometimes it takes a drama to refocus and I have a feeling this could be it.

I hope you're right about this and feels like you might be onto something. As much as MM will have told the players what he expects of them most people need something tangible to reinforce words. This is an opportunity to redouble the focus on being a winning football club, serious about training to win, serious about winning football matches from a foundation of hard work.

I hope that Reid and McGahey don't get thrown under the bus though, or made an example of. The post was ill judged, nothing more. Go through the process, give them a rap on the knuckles, let's get on with making the play offs and winning the FA Trophy.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, disjointed said:

The incident has become a national story, it was mentioned more than once on Talk Sport yesterday, I think both players should be made to apologise, Reid has been injured since November and Mcgahey was out for over a year, and both players no doubt picked up a wage from the club during that time.

Perhaps some time stacking shelves in Tesco as a punishment might give them a better understanding of the privileged careers they have.

1 hour ago, hillside blue said:

The incident has become a national story, it was mentioned more than once on Talk Sport yesterday, I think both players should be made to apologise, Reid has been injured since November and Mcgahey was out for over a year, and both players no doubt picked up a wage from the club during that time.

Perhaps some time stacking shelves in Tesco as a punishment might give them a better understanding of the privileged careers they have.

The reason it has become a national story is that it is made to look as though all the players were moaning and I have got to admit that was my first impression. In reality it was one person filming and one made the comment, and even then he probably didn't mean it as  harshly as it seemed.

The problem is though it has really portrayed the whole team in a bad light and so they have put the club into disrepute. As long as they genuinely regret their actions then they have got to be punished, but then allowed back and forgiven. It is Christmas time after all!!! :)

• Like 4

When there are question marks over things like desire, aptitude and attitude at times within the squad  then all that video does is enforce the view that some may have, is it crime of the century- no, but it exposes behaviours you don't want to see out of professional athletes and I suspect some are more bothered about their phone and social media platforms than they are their actual careers which is mystifying to your average fan.

I don't get the piss boil on the terraces, what is that actually achieving?, I know plenty were on the sauce from about 8am but still I found all that a bit embarrassing and there's no doubt the players who had to face up to it found it difficult initially, fair play to them for the character they showed after going a goal down because that could have got messy very quickly.

A bit like the problems with the home form this is another issue we are going to have to trust Micky to resolve, it's clear some of our problems are deep rooted and there's a culture within the group that needs eradicating, whether that's through removing it or educating is for the club to decide, your Reid's and McGahey's should know better, both are vastly experienced players who should be setting examples, McGahey particularly doesn't come out of this with any credit and he'd do well to look at the example set by the likes of Hogan in how to conduct himself if he is going to represent the group in his capacity as vice captain. Ultimately though do the two involved care?, my feeling is probably not and they will no doubt be passing it off as overreaction.

I hope that's the end of it now, those players not involved shouldn't have their integrity and morals questioned by the fanbase as it was nothing to do with them, some of them chants they would have found quite hurtful as a group and I don't think it's productive to ask them to play in that environment and it could turn the other way.

I'm hoping for a real positive attitude at home on Saturday both on and off the pitch, hopefully pushing on in to the playoffs in the New Year.

It will be used my Mellon as an example going forward and rightly so. I would release McGahey and let Reid produce a public apology to the fans and move on.

The thing with McGahey is that we supported him through his injuries and his comment throws that commitment into the clubs face. 

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

It will be used my Mellon as an example going forward and rightly so. I would release McGahey and let Reid produce a public apology to the fans and move on.

The thing with McGahey is that we supported him through his injuries and his comment throws that commitment into the clubs face. 

I wouldn’t release either of them, just as long as the message gets through, fine them perhaps and carry on. I doubt either of them or anyone else will repeat it after the reaction it provoked. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I wouldn’t release either of them, just as long as the message gets through, fine them perhaps and carry on. I doubt either of them or anyone else will repeat it after the reaction it provoked. 

Wouldn't argue if this was the outcome. But sometimes I feel people, unfortunately, are made an example of. Given McGahey is vice captain and a senior member of the squad, he could well be that example. 

11 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Wouldn't argue if this was the outcome. But sometimes I feel people, unfortunately, are made an example of. Given McGahey is vice captain and a senior member of the squad, he could well be that example. 

True, be a lesson learned for both I hope 

3 hours ago, hillside blue said:

Might be more worthwhile to get them to do something with/for the less privileged.

Plenty of opportunities for them to do some good whilst reflecting on their special position.

On 12/28/2023 at 9:18 AM, Monty Burns said:

finally watched it 20 times.

what a stupid stupid man. shuda whipped out an apology on the same platform soon as.

silly billy.

lm caught between incredulity and anger.

It's called angerulity. :D 
I haven't watched it, so cannot comment on content but my sentiments are the same as yours.

• Like 1

I can't believe some of the comments on this thread. The comment heard was the type of banter that goes on privately in workplaces all the time throughout the country. The problem has been caused by the prat who recorded it and posted it on social media. He seems more concerned with his social media image than he does with the reputation of the club. He needs to grow up or ship out.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, bazerx said:

I can't believe some of the comments on this thread. The comment heard was the type of banter that goes on privately in workplaces all the time throughout the country. The problem has been caused by the prat who recorded it and posted it on social media. He seems more concerned with his social media image than he does with the reputation of the club. He needs to grow up or ship out.

I agree, the comments were trivial, it's more about the loss of trust.  The changing rooms are places where all sorts of stuff goes on (as you say, we have all worked) and that is where it should stay.

Once you have to worry that some tosser might stitch you up in public, the whole team and club suffers.

Then we have the usual herberts at the game,  trying to prove how offended they are and how much they love the club;  that's a by product of this social media crap.

Edited by Punce
sp
  • Like 3