MATCH: Boreham Wood (H) 13/02/24

Just now, deyres42 said:

You would hope that would be the case given the difference in experience and the squads they inherited.

It is true, the circumstances are different. But you suggested the results were the same. Which they aren't.

These are also points you would be making yourself if the popular opinion was that Mellon was doing a bad job.

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂😂😂

He’s back!

Are the results the same?

No- they’re very different. 

(Totally changes subject) 

Well they should be. 

They aren't very different though...

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

They aren't very different though...

Maybe the league table is mirage? 

Maybe the actual stats are made up? 

Maybe Frank is in a studio in wales pretending to the row the Atlantic? 

Maybe you’re really bored and want entertaining? 

• Like 2

Just now, League one forever said:

Maybe the league table is mirage? 

Maybe the actual stats are made up? 

Maybe Frank is in a studio in wales pretending to the row the Atlantic? 

Maybe you’re really bored and want entertaining? 

What's the league table got to do with anything? We are comparing results from this time last year...

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

What's the league table got to do with anything? We are comparing results from this time last year...

What are we comparing exactly? Jan 1 to Feb 14 2024 and 2023? Because this year we have 10 points from 5 games and last year we had 11 points from 7 games. 

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

Agree with most of what you say bar the criticism of Fondop, and you're not alone in not rating him. Last night he scored the first and won the free quick for the second. He provides a physical challenge for whoever as the difficult job of marking him, he is the one player on our books who can hold the ball up, When he holds the ball up he nearly always plays the ball to a team mate facing the opposition goal. Very good in the air, he wins countless defensive headers as well as those in the other half.

Is it perhaps time for Oldham fans to stop asking what has Mike Fondop ever done for Oldham Athletic?   

He did have some key interventions last night that's undeniable but throughout the season I wonder how many per game he has. 

The fact he's the only target man we have is another nod at some of the questionable recruitment we have seen. 

That said he's got the shirt at the moment injuries have meant he's come in and he's grabbed a couple. Hopefully, it contines and we get adouble figure out of him for the season. 

10 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

What are we comparing exactly? Jan 1 to Feb 14 2024 and 2023? Because this year we have 10 points from 5 games and last year we had 11 points from 7 games. 

I was looking more second half of the season as opposed to specific date range.

1 hour ago, spanishfly said:

Same question I asked 🧐. He uses the box to "entertain" family and business clients mainly and therein lies the difference from a normal fan. The word entertain does come into it for some.

p.s. last night, we were down about 1,000 fans from the last home game and 2,000 since the first home game against Aldershot. IF the football had been good, I suspect a lot of those missing people would have been in attendance last night. 

Last night's attendance was a few down on the previous Tuesday night game at home to Barnet but 400 up on the Tuesday night game before that, Maidenhead in October, so decent for a Tuesday night.

It's a fair point though, if we continually serve up dross the buzz will dissipate and some fans will drift away. I don't see that happening this season, if we stay in and around the play offs there's excitement there in and of itself.  And let's remain hopeful that the football will improve with Mellon's tenure. It would be nice to sign a real crowd pleaser, someone to get the fans out of their seat. We are really missing much in the way of an X factor, particularly with Norwood out of the equation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Ok, so 2nd half of last season we got 37 points from 23 games. 1.6 PPG.

2nd half of this season so far we have 16 points from 8 games. 2.0 PPG.

What results under Mellon are you saying are the same as the 2nd half of last season under Unsworth exactly? I'm confused.

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Ok, so 2nd half of last season we got 37 points from 23 games. 1.6 PPG.

2nd half of this season so far we have 16 points from 8 games. 2.0 PPG.

What results under Mellon are you saying are the same as the 2nd half of last season under Unsworth exactly? I'm confused.

The ones since he took charge.

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The ones since he took charge.

30 points from 16 games. 1.875 ppg vs 1.6 ppg. 86 points vs 73 points over a full season.

Yeah, the results are still better.

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Ah right, so what you’re doing is picking the specific parts in the season that suit your narrative and disregarding the other parts of the season where he couldn’t buy a win. 

The only fair measure is to look at the amounts of games played so far by each manager. 

Mellon has taken charge of 16 league games. 

W- 9 

D - 3

L - 4

30 points from a possible 48 - just under two points a game. 

Unsy

W- 3

D- 4

L - 9

13 points from a possible 48 - less than a point a game. 

If you want to include the second half of last season wait till the end of the season and we’ll compare their records and their results again. 

But for now - just accept this is another big call you’ve got spectacularly wrong. 

4 hours ago, Bluemood said:

The players we have particularly in midfield are just not good enough for this league . Also we don’t have any basis of a formation we are looking to build towards. Our line ups change every week I guess as the manager is desperately looking for a system that works. Thankfully we have defenders that can do a job in this league and forwards that can find the net given the opportunities . All our weakness stem from midfield. The only way we will get into the play offs is to grind out results like last night . Not pretty but it’s our only strength we have at the moment.

IF we’re still in this league next season then all our budget must go into securing 3-4 decent midfielders that can galvanise this team into a top challenger.

Couldn't agree more with this. It's been a persistent problem and I would've thought it was the first area that needed scrutiny in the close season. It was a shambles how we staggered into this season with an almost weaker midfield than we had last season.

Games are controlled and dictated by your midfielders. I've said this before, but just about every team in this division have a fairly robust middle two or three.

2 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Couldn't agree more with this. It's been a persistent problem and I would've thought it was the first area that needed scrutiny in the close season. It was a shambles how we staggered into this season with an almost weaker midfield than we had last season.

Games are controlled and dictated by your midfielders. I've said this before, but just about every team in this division have a fairly robust middle two or three.

Can I cash out on Mikey now? 😁

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Ah right, so what you’re doing is picking the specific parts in the season that suit your narrative and disregarding the other parts of the season where he couldn’t buy a win. 

The only fair measure is to look at the amounts of games played so far by each manager. 

Mellon has taken charge of 16 league games. 

W- 9 

D - 3

L - 4

30 points from a possible 48 - just under two points a game. 

Unsy

W- 3

D- 4

L - 9

13 points from a possible 48 - less than a point a game. 

If you want to include the second half of last season wait till the end of the season and we’ll compare their records and their results again. 

But for now - just accept this is another big call you’ve got spectacularly wrong. 

Well there is no fair comparison as you never playing under the exact same circumstances...

I can't help feeling the history of the club is somewhat being used to slightly unfairly judge the current side.

This is a national league side so the last 2 seasons is the lowest level any of us have ever seen, so by historical standards this side may well be seen as "crap"

However for over 12 months now our results have been that of a top 7 team, so this is a good (Not great) National League squad. That's how I'm going to judge it. The football won't be great compared to historical standards but we are well oncourse to finish in the top 7, top 3 is unlikely, 4th-7th is. We have what is likely a top 2 budget so finishing in the play offs could be seen as performing slightly below par but not by much. The fact we are going to be in the play offs gives us atleast a punchers chance of going up. Once you are in it 3 knock out blows will be enough to send us upto the football league. We will likely face atleast 1 away game. Just look at our away form we should back ourselves to go away from home and win.

The last time we saw a play off team was 06-07. None of the current team would get into that side. But neither would any of Chesterfields team either and they are going to win this league by atleast 20 points. 

Their is room for improvement but I don't think we will have to be much better than we are now to go up.

Edited by GlossopLatic