MATCH: Boreham Wood (H) 13/02/24

37 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Hyperbole

Why can we not just talk in bole?

Much closer to reality...

My take is that if we make the playoffs, we will waltz through them.

Teams around us will be thinking the same; considering us their biggest play off threat. They will be scared to death of us.

Their mantra will be to stop us getting there. At any cost.

Ugly wins are still wins. Long may they continue.

I'm sorry but with the money spent and the supposed firepower at our disposal, it would be a disgrace and embarrassment if we failed to reach the play offs.

Also, the current weak mentality of the team will see them knocked out of it at the first attempt if we make them. Unless we change.

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

And if we don't win the playoffs, people will still see it as a progressive season and something to build on for next season. No "enormous backlash". As Metty says, pure hyperbole once again on this place 

I won't see it as progressive if the 7 at the back tactics fail. I will see it as a chance wasted to recruit fit  attacking entertaining players considering the money which has been spent.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

I'm sorry but with the money spent and the supposed firepower at our disposal, it would be a disgrace and embarrassment if we failed to reach the play offs.

Also, the current weak mentality of the team will see them knocked out of it at the first attempt if we make them. Unless we change.

Do you still think we won’t make the play offs. Current position and form would suggest otherwise. 

57 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I won't see it as progressive if the 7 at the back tactics fail. I will see it as a chance wasted to recruit fit  attacking entertaining players considering the money which has been spent.

Considering its 17 years since we last made the playoffs it's progress no matter how you want to frame it

• Like 2

I`m going to be straight to the point rather than pussy footing around the edges. I`ve only seen us the last 3 games and we look a poor side. I've no idea where all this money has gone, it's certainly not been spent on quality players. That said, if Latics do get promoted via the play-offs, it illustrates how awful the standard is in this league. A few are saying "it's a tough league" etc. It's not, the standard is dreadful. The pub teams analogy is fair from what I've seen. That's exactly why Chesterfield are already 23 points clear of anyone else i.e. a decent side and you sail through this so called tough league. If I was the owner, I would be seething. With the amount of money we have allegedly thrown at it, we should be promoted this year. If we are not, that is failure in anybody's book. It's all down to the inability of those trusted to put together a good side, not to have put together a good side. Simple as that.

Edited by spanishfly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

I`m going to be straight to the point rather than pussy footing around the edges. I`ve only seen us the last 3 games and we look a poor side. I've no idea where all this money has gone, it's certainly not been spent on quality players. That said, if Latics do get promoted via the play-offs, it illustrates how awful the standard is in this league. A few are saying "it's a tough league" etc. It's not, the standard is dreadful. The pub teams analogy is fair from what I've seen. That's exactly why Chesterfield are already 23 points clear of anyone else i.e. a decent side and you sail through this so called tough league. If I was the owner, I would be seething. With the amount of money we have allegedly thrown at it, we should be promoted this year. If we are not, that is failure in anybody's book. It's all down to the inability of those trusted to put together a good side, not to have put together a good side. Simple as that.

I don’t think anyone says it’s a tough league in terms of the standard of play, more so that there are only 2 places to get promoted out of the league. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Were you happy in Spain ?

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

The failures stem from keeping Unsworth in charge for a large chunk of the season. Since Mellon came in, we're second in the form table. Sounds like a pretty decent side to me?

46 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Considering its 17 years since we last made the playoffs it's progress no matter how you want to frame it

Even the teams Dino, Kewell  and Pete Wild had would have strolled this league like Chesterfield.

Edited by BP1960

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Even the teams Dino, Kewell  and Pete Wild had would have strolled this league like Chesterfield.

There's absolutely no way of knowing that for certain, and they were League 2 squads. I don't understand your point at all. This is criticising the team for scoring from crosses all over again

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We were in league two at the time so obviously would be better suited. To name a few Clarke - Ipswich, Keillor Dunn top league two player, Piergianni league one.

you seem very bitter towards Mellon why is that?

Chesterfield have spent 6 seasons at this level and over the last two years have pushed on.

Mellon is averaging two points a game. Give me victories everyday of the week over attractive football. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Could Mellon have finished above 18th in League 2 with the squad Kewell had?

With all Kewell's attacking players in a 7 at the back I doubt it.

Edited by BP1960

11 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Give me victories everyday of the week over attractive football. 

At the end of the day we need wins and we need promotion this season. If that means grinding out results playing percentage football then so be it.

However, whether we achieve promotion or not , for me, next season will have to be different. If we continue as we are then we have the wrong manager!

I’m certain that the board, who’ve backed Unsworth & Mellon to the hilt, didn’t sanction the signings of Nuttall, Dallas, Norwood, Garner, & Hammond just to play Football on the back foot, which is what we do most of the time.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Yawn. Playing that exciting attacking football did us us the world of good didn't it. Where did we finish again, remind me please?

Why use yawn? very ignorant and I'd never stoop that low.

You don't have to reply to my every post.

I said at the time the attacking play was good, but the balance of the team was dysfunctional.

Edited by BP1960

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Why use yawn? very ignorant and I'd never stoop that low.

You don't have to reply to my every post.

I said at the time the attacking play was good, but the balance of the team was dysfunctional.

29 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

With all Kewell's attacking players in a 7 at the back I doubt it.

Course you wouldn't 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 7:11 AM, BradKnowles1 said:

I specifically watched Lundstram for a spell. He gets the ball passes backwards and does not move into space. 

Gets his legs high though. Watch how high he gets his legs to control the ball when it is in the air. 

Should probably get a high leg control bonus. 

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

At the end of the day we need wins and we need promotion this season. If that means grinding out results playing percentage football then so be it.

However, whether we achieve promotion or not , for me, next season will have to be different. If we continue as we are then we have the wrong manager!

I’m certain that the board, who’ve backed Unsworth & Mellon to the hilt, didn’t sanction the signings of Nuttall, Dallas, Norwood, Garner, & Hammond just to play Football on the back foot, which is what we do most of the time.

Got the impression from MM latest interview that he shares the frustration. It is what it is for now but,with at least 9 players out of contract this summer, I reckon there will be significant changes and a shift in style to what I suspect he - and most of us - would like 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Got the impression from MM latest interview that he shares the frustration. It is what it is for now but,with at least 9 players out of contract this summer, I reckon there will be significant changes and a shift in style to what I suspect he - and most of us - would like 

I really hope so!👍