MATCH: Boreham Wood (H) 13/02/24

It’s also worth pointing out that this is only the 3rd time in 3 years that we have come from behind to win a league game at Boundary Park, after conceding the first goal - which is a nuts stat (especially because we concede the first goal at Boundary Park a lot!!) Another reason why credit for last night is due.

Tue 7 Feb 2023 - Oldham 4-2 Dag & Red

Sat 20 Nov 2021 - Oldham 3-2 Port Vale

Edited by Sloshed Joe
  • Like 3

Pleased to have witnessed my first win since coming back "home". Still looks the worst Latics side I`ve ever seen but maybe we have to accept the fact we are non-league. I just think many, certainly include me in this, are struggling to understand how we can be so awful to watch after spending lots of money for this level. I like Fondop and thought Green did ok when he came on. Can't add much more because it was poor tbh.

41 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I agree, it's not pretty to watch. But we haven't been pretty to watch for over 3 decades now, give or take patches in the odd season. At least we're actually consistently winning games for once

Exactly, people keep posting that we need to be entertained as though we used to get entertained a couple of years ago and it's now suddenly stopped.

Let's get used to that feeling of winning games more than losing first and I am sure better matches will happen.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm thinking he's just a lucky manager.

No, he isn't. Unsworth during his post-January "run" last season - that was a lucky manager. I've never seen so many teams miss so many chances in consecutive games during that period. It masked what an incompetent muppet he was. 

The football still isn't great under Mellon but, as has been stated in various places elsewhere, it doesn't matter as long as we're winning. In fact in doesn't matter as long as we get into the play-offs.

In addition to that, on top of winning football, we aren't giving the opposition loads of chances that could cost us the game. Yes we're overrun in midfield still and we're out of possession for long periods, but we defend well, give them little and ride out the storm. Mellon also recognises  when things aren't working and changes it for the better. That last night resulted in - in my opinion - an eventual deserved win. 

The guy knows what he's doing. Worry about free-flowing football in the football league. He needs to do whatever he can to get us up now. Doesn't matter how he does it, but he's definitely got what it takes. 

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

I was surprised about the move away from the back 3 once Hogan came back. I would have understood it more if it had happened in the games he was suspended. But that back 3 was integral in our best run of form of the season. 

I saw a comment on social media about having to defend deep because Hogan is too slow in a 4-4-2. That makes a lot of sense. I think if we are playing 4-4-2 Raglan and Hobson might well be the CB pairing. 

If the team are well prepared then changing shape in the middle of a game might be a very wise option. It works higher up the pyramid. Borehamwood's manager said he predicted we'd change shape at HT but his side couldn't adjust to counter it. (He does seem to be a bit of a Billy Bullshitter though). It also keeps opposition managers guessing and makes them have to prepare for different scenarios, something that the part-time teams, in particular, will struggle with.

However I don't necessarily think some of our squad have it in them to be that well drilled.

10 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Exactly, people keep posting that we need to be entertained as though we used to get entertained a couple of years ago and it's now suddenly stopped.

Let's get used to that feeling of winning games more than losing first and I am sure better matches will happen.

Not sure anyone is suggesting that, I'm certainly not, I'm just don't buy into the idea that we still have to act and play like plucky underdogs.

10 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not sure anyone is suggesting that, I'm certainly not, I'm just don't buy into the idea that we still have to act and play like plucky underdogs.

I don’t think anybody wants plucky underdogs, but we would accept a horrible bullying side that is very hard to play against. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I don’t think anybody wants plucky underdogs, but we would accept a horrible bullying side that is very hard to play against. 

We don't bully anyone, we've not dominated more than half a dozen games this season.

Did we grind it out last night?, - yes whilst riding our luck but I'm not having it that it was some sort of MM masterplan because it wasn't, goal was a mile offside and we were fortunate.

I'll take it all day long but it was turgid shite weighed down by some awful players, I thought Hogan gave us a lift last night and that ankle is giving him some grief, he's the only one comfortable on that left side and that problem has been ignored. I don't like to do it as he's only four games in but Sachdev is miles away, criminal for the first goal and weak as piss, I thought Hammond got in to the game as it went on, there's a player in there when he gets up to speed, he was a willing runner all night and is an upgrade on the awful Josh Lundstrum whose been a massive disappointment, probably the biggest of the season, he also started to give it away in dangerous areas last night, another thing I noticed about his is he gets left behind when we break which is weird, he needs to be smarter.

After being told by every man and his dog that Mellon had made some great signings it was good old Green and Fondop who got us out of the shit again and they are two players who probably wouldn't have started or been involved if it wasn't for injuries.

What's happened to Alex Reid? That game last night was set up for a player like him who plays off the last man.

Another positive was Mellon recognising it needed changing and pulling off the weak links, he normally sends them out for another 10 or 15 which sets the tone for the second half but fair play to him he didn't wait till we went two down.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, League one forever said:

No one has suggested or even hinted that's what a pragmatic side means at all. Shitposting I presume!

44 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I saw a comment on social media about having to defend deep because Hogan is too slow in a 4-4-2. That makes a lot of sense. I think if we are playing 4-4-2 Raglan and Hobson might well be the CB pairing. 

If the team are well prepared then changing shape in the middle of a game might be a very wise option. It works higher up the pyramid. Borehamwood's manager said he predicted we'd change shape at HT but his side couldn't adjust to counter it. (He does seem to be a bit of a Billy Bullshitter though). It also keeps opposition managers guessing and makes them have to prepare for different scenarios, something that the part-time teams, in particular, will struggle with.

However I don't necessarily think some of our squad have it in them to be that well drilled.

Absolutely. We do have some players that could mean we could switch formations without having to make loads of subs. But I agree that it's a step too far for this lot. I'd be happy with us sticking to the 352 and just building confidence and familiarity with a relatively settled team. Confidence to be flexible may then come later.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We don't bully anyone, we've not dominated more than half a dozen games this season.

Did we grind it out last night?, - yes whilst riding our luck but I'm not having it that it was some sort of MM masterplan because it wasn't, goal was a mile offside and we were fortunate.

I'll take it all day long but it was turgid shite weighed down by some awful players, I thought Hogan gave us a lift last night and that ankle is giving him some grief, he's the only one comfortable on that left side and that problem has been ignored. I don't like to do it as he's only four games in but Sachdev is miles away, criminal for the first goal and weak as piss, I thought Hammond got in to the game as it went on, there's a player in there when he gets up to speed, he was a willing runner all night and is an upgrade on the awful Josh Lundstrum whose been a massive disappointment, probably the biggest of the season, he also started to give it away in dangerous areas last night, another thing I noticed about his is he gets left behind when we break which is weird, he needs to be smarter.

After being told by every man and his dog that Mellon had made some great signings it was good old Green and Fondop who got us out of the shit again and they are two players who probably wouldn't have started or been involved if it wasn't for injuries.

What's happened to Alex Reid? That game last night was set up for a player like him who plays off the last man.

Another positive was Mellon recognising it needed changing and pulling off the weak links, he normally sends them out for another 10 or 15 which sets the tone for the second half but fair play to him he didn't wait till we went two down.

Hammond did nothing but give the ball away last night. The only good thing he did was when he confused himself on the ball so much that he accidentally created space for himself to turn into, pure luck. He’s absolutely garbage from what I have seen. Treats the ball like a hot potato, struggles to control the ball. He’s a downgrade on Sheron.

The ball would come to him and he would just try and flick it around the corner or just hammer it behind our strikers. If we was going 442 playing him on the right in the first half instead of Green was a big mistake. 

Agreed on Sanchdev, looks poor.

Lundstram looks petrified. 

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

Hammond did nothing but give the ball away last night. The only good thing he did was when he confused himself on the ball so much that he accidentally created space for himself to turn into, pure luck. He’s absolutely garbage from what I have seen. Treats the ball like a hot potato, struggles to control the ball. He’s a downgrade on Sheron.

The ball would come to him and he would just try and flick it around the corner or just hammer it behind our strikers. If we was going 442 playing him on the right in the first half instead of Green was a big mistake. 

Agreed on Sanchdev, looks poor.

Lundstram looks petrified. 

I thought Hammond showed improvement on previous performances which is a positive as he's young and should improve more with more game time. He had one of our rare shots on target where he overlapped Green at pace on a counter attack and the keeper turned is shot away for a corner. Or is that the lucky thing you're talking about?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I thought Hammond showed improvement on previous performances which is a positive as he's young and should improve more with more game time. He had one of our rare shots on target where he overlapped Green at pace on a counter attack and the keeper turned is shot away for a corner. Or is that the lucky thing you're talking about?

He improved second half compared to the first, marginally. 

He’s getting no applause for shooting directly at the keeper when one v one from me. 

7 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Just to add to my above post. I understand he’s young and will likely improve. But the reality of our midfield situation is we are extremely weak in that area and we need players who can impact games now, like Conlon. 

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He improved second half compared to the first, marginally. 

I'll take this particularly as most of our players appear to be going backwards. 

Jury is still out on him but I think he will come good particularly with Conlon alongside.

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If by some miracle we do manage to scramble our way through the playoffs are we really equipped to kick on in League 2? We certainly don't look it.

There's nothing to suggest Mellon is building a team like Parkinson, Williams or Cook for that matter but to be fair he inherited a squad which was way short of what was required.

We are a staggering 32 points behind Chesterfield and a full 32 goals scored after 31 games.

I still think we can nick runners up spot given Bromley and Barnets run of form, Altrincham look like the main threat now but they are so reliant on one man.

A shame the more attacking formation didnt work, I hope it doesnt get abandoned completely this season. A combination of the midfield not winning their battles, a lack of width both sides and depth from the strikers culminated in us trying hopeful balls or inevitably playing it backwards.

With Norwood and Dallas injured, the game was crying out for Alex Reid. Someone to inject some pace, run in behind and give the midfield options against their absolute units of centre halves. I dont think we will see the lad in an Oldham shirt again unfortunately.

In the midfield, Ward was a failure out on the left. He left Kitching isolated with his drifting inside. I could see how he might fit in a role behind the striker but a wide midfielder he is not. Green instead of Ward from the start would have offered us width and pace we needed to stretch Boreham Wood. Similarly if Walker was fit, he would have been an upgrade on both.

Conlon is lacking sharpness, I hope he gains some form soon. He showed against Barnet how good he will turn out to be, hopefully a matter of time until that performance is consistent. 

Lundstram looks like a player devoid of confidence. We've seen his ability to drive with the ball but he only does when its the only option, he creates half a yard for himself then goes safe with the pass and reluctant to run beyond the ball even when there is space available. Luckily Hammond looks like he is coming up to speed, so a spell on the sidelines for Lundstram could be good for him.

I understand why Mellon went with Hogan and Raglan as the CB pairing- Hogan can play LCB while Raglan and Hobson struggle and Raglan is the better defender aerially- but Hobson made a difference in the second half, taking the ball and running into midfield and maybe that from the start would have helped create overloads in the middle so 1 of the midfield 4 could have found a pocket.

The moment Sachdev was shrugged off the ball I knew he would get pelters. I think with experience he would know theres no one behind him and would have fouled him before the lad got away. 

Im glad we managed to turn it around last night but teams that come and bog the game down, maybe grab a goal and sit in we cant break down. It's no suprise we have good form against most of the playoff chasing sides as they come to play instead of frustrate.Something Josh Stones brought to the team was the ability to start games quickly. We need to put the opposition on the back foot from the start, getting the crowd on side and probing for an early goal, thats the key to improving the home form.

• Like 2

I thought the first half last night was as bad as anything we served up under Unsworth. Mellon seemed to be saying in the presser that he's done with 442 and that it's 532 with this squad of players, we shall see. To me it felt a bit like his team selection for the game against Hendon, he sent out a load of square pegs in round holes to prove 442 wouldn't work. Which is odd given our best performances under Mellon were 442 but that was with Gardner and Green on the flanks.

That's one good performance in six for the calendar year. It's looking to me more like scraping into the play offs than storming them, it's difficult to see where the long unbeaten run is coming form after recent performances. Perhaps all the comings and goings have unsettled the squad and it's going to take time to settle down.

I still can't believe how hard it is to find a competent RB/RWB for this level. Hammond ran around a lot, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as we have lacked players with a good engine, but it remains to be seen whether he's an upgrade on Sheron, too early to tell.

It's disappointing to travel to Maidenhead on Saturday expecting no better than when we went there last season (1-1) in the early days of Unsworth's inglorious reign but it looks like we'll be an outfit that plays tough to beat and relies on finishing the odd chance created for the foreseeable future.      

25 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If by some miracle we do manage to scramble our way through the playoffs are we really equipped to kick on in League 2? We certainly don't look it.

Funnily enough, yeah.

No cup finalers playing their first game infront of a large crowd, raring to go.

Few teams sitting in, soaking up pressure exploiting our lack of creativity.

More teams that feel they are equal to us and will come to play, playing into our form against playoff teams.

We have a good defensive record and can see that translating up to League 2.

Back to back promotions it is not. Something to build on though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Astro said:

My point being that the gritty, determined style (i.e. win by any means) isn't producing consistently positive results. 

It’s all well to adopt a style of play that suits the personnel you have but…

we are still seeing players afraid to play, lumping the ball forward aimlessly, playing with no urgency or anticipation.

Our problem continues to be the midfield. Conlon apart, the likes of Ward, Lundstram and Hammond are still underperforming. Garner resorted to dropping deeper and deeper to get in the ball last night.

Yes, Mellon turned it around in the second half but I don’t subscribe to the ‘it’s division five football’ mentality. The manager has to find a way of getting more from the players he inherited and from those he has brought in.

Sachdev and Hammond have been disappointing so far - maybe they just need more time.

Dallas and Walker have not been fit enough to play much…what’s that all about?

League position has improved under MM but the football remains worryingly inconsistent.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

No one has suggested or even hinted that's what a pragmatic side means at all. Shitposting I presume!

Not at all. I meant every word.

Parky took Wrexham up being exactly that, and it sounds like Mellon disagrees with you, he thinks we’re gritty, hard working, who aim to score goals and not concede. We won’t be pretty or easy on the eye but we’ll be effective. Your ‘pragmatic’ is my dominating ugly. 

The players we have particularly in midfield are just not good enough for this league . Also we don’t have any basis of a formation we are looking to build towards. Our line ups change every week I guess as the manager is desperately looking for a system that works. Thankfully we have defenders that can do a job in this league and forwards that can find the net given the opportunities . All our weakness stem from midfield. The only way we will get into the play offs is to grind out results like last night . Not pretty but it’s our only strength we have at the moment.

IF we’re still in this league next season then all our budget must go into securing 3-4 decent midfielders that can galvanise this team into a top challenger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Agreed. We don’t.

I’m saying that IF we dominated ugly, by competing, looking at it, winning second balls, etc etc that is a more than acceptable way to win games. 

What we do, is neither play expanse or bully. We’re somewhere in between when we play ok, and absolutely nowhere when we are poor. 

IF Mellon can turn us into a side similar to Parky at Wrexham I’m fine with that.