MATCH: Boreham Wood (H) 13/02/24

1 minute ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Just a reminder for those that are in Mourning at the sad and tragic passing of Mr Sexy Football (not that you've seen him at BP in god knows how long)

We are 4th in the form table, only 3 points behind champions elect Chesterfield.

Was just doing a bit of form table digging myself!...

Home games form table:
Last 10 games - 17th 
Last 8 games - 13th
Last 6 games - 10th
Last 4 games - 5th 

Away games form table:
Last 10 games - 1st 
Last 8 games - 1st
Last 6 games - 1st
Last 4 games - 1st

All games form table:
Last 10 games - 4th 
Last 8 games - 3rd
Last 6 games - 4th
Last 4 games - 6th

Our overall form is consistently in the play offs since Mellon joined. Our away form is consistently the best. And our home form is improving over time. If we can continue that trend with the home form and repeat it over a longer run of games then we must stand a good chance of threatening 2nd/3rd place.

Just now, Gaz_Oafc said:

Just a reminder for those that are in Mourning at the sad and tragic passing of Mr Sexy Football (not that you've seen him at BP in god knows how long)

We are 4th in the form table, only 3 points behind champions elect Chesterfield.

I think what's served up on the pitch does matter, though. My nephew knows someone who has paid for an executive box this season. Not cheap for sure. They are wobbling about doing so for next season because "It's just so boring." I`ve sensed the huge amount of goodwill and backing for the owner and hence understand why we are getting the attendances we are. It is going to be difficult to attract new supporters, though, playing like we are. Nobody can honestly say it's a good couple of hours out based purely on the football being served up, can they?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

I think what's served up on the pitch does matter, though. My nephew knows someone who has paid for an executive box this season. Not cheap for sure. They are wobbling about doing so for next season because "It's just so boring." I`ve sensed the huge amount of goodwill and backing for the owner and hence understand why we are getting the attendances we are. It is going to be difficult to attract new supporters, though, playing like we are. Nobody can honestly say it's a good couple of hours out based purely on the football being served up, can they?

Wonder if he will renew if we get promoted this year. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Was just doing a bit of form table digging myself!...

Home games form table:
Last 10 games - 17th 
Last 8 games - 13th
Last 6 games - 10th
Last 4 games - 5th 

Away games form table:
Last 10 games - 1st 
Last 8 games - 1st
Last 6 games - 1st
Last 4 games - 1st

All games form table:
Last 10 games - 4th 
Last 8 games - 3rd
Last 6 games - 4th
Last 4 games - 6th

Our overall form is consistently in the play offs since Mellon joined. Our away form is consistently the best. And our home form is improving over time. If we can continue that trend with the home form and repeat it over a longer run of games then we must stand a good chance of threatening 2nd/3rd place.

That's good and somewhat reassuring analysis. I guess what undermines that for some of us is just how poor the performances have been this calendar year. It's hard to see how we will continue to get such results when we're playing badly most of the time. Perhaps I was dazzled by the games against Barnet and Woking (A) but the games against Hartlepool weren't too bad either although we may have caught them at a good time. In short, although results have held up form seems to have deteriorated.

Another way of looking at it would be imagine how good the results will be if/when performances pick up. In Mellon we trust.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Fervid said:

Wonder if he will renew if we get promoted this year. 

Same question I asked 🧐. He uses the box to "entertain" family and business clients mainly and therein lies the differnce from a normal fan. The word entertain does come into it for some.

p.s. last night, we were down about 1,000 fans from the last home game and 2,000 since the first home game against Aldershot. IF the football had been good, I suspect a lot of those missing people would have been in attendance last night. 

Edited by spanishfly

30 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

It is boring, turgid and we should have and should be aspiring to do better.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Same question I asked 🧐. He uses the box to "entertain" family and business clients mainly and therein lies the differnce from a normal fan. The word entertain does come into it for some.

p.s. last night, we were down about 1,000 fans from the last home game and 2,000 since the first home game against Aldershot. IF the football had been good, I suspect a lot of those missing people would have been in attendance last night. 

A Tuesday night in February will always have lower attendances than a Saturday match in August...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

It is boring, turgid and we should have and should be aspiring to do better.

Nothing wrong with aspiring to do better. But also there's nothing wrong with prioritising promotion out of this league first. "Doing better" when it comes to the style of football can be a longer term aspiration rather than shitting the bed because it isn't happening right away.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Don’t mean any disrespect- but anyone paying thousands to entertain people at a division 5 football club, and then saying this is boring- needs to find somewhere else for their money. 

To my mind, if you’re a wealthy Latics fan and you can afford 10/15k a season for a box, it’s to support the club first and foremost and you hope to see some good games. I certainly wouldn’t be backing out because I didn’t like the style, or surprise surprise a lot of division 5 footballers aren’t very good. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Crowds are always lower on a Tuesday

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

That's good and somewhat reassuring analysis. I guess what undermines that for some of us is just how poor the performances have been this calendar year. It's hard to see how we will continue to get such results when we're playing badly most of the time. Perhaps I was dazzled by the games against Barnet and Woking (A) but the games against Hartlepool weren't too bad either although we may have caught them at a good time. In short, although results have held up form seems to have deteriorated.

Another way of looking at it would be imagine how good the results will be if/when performances pick up. In Mellon we trust.

There are factors that might explain how disjointed we have looked in the last few games... games being postponed, injuries, turnover of players in and out. That's quite a lot of disruption. Plus it is still very early for Mellon.

Even with all that going on we are still one of the form teams in the division and are now well placed to cement our place in the playoffs. I think as all those things settle down over the next few weeks we'll do even better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Nothing wrong with aspiring to do better. But also there's nothing wrong with prioritising promotion out of this league first. "Doing better" when it comes to the style of football can be a longer term aspiration rather than shitting the bed because it isn't happening right away.

We've been down here for nearly two seasons and we are playing no better now than we did when we came down...

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

We've been down here for nearly two seasons and we are playing no better now than we did when we came down...

Reckon we'd come straight back down if we went up, then? 

Just now, deyres42 said:

We'd be a lot nearer the bottom than the top.

Probably. We'd stay up though and would have made progress. I don't buy into the "turning round a battleship" analogy - I think everything is in place to make us better quicker, but there has to be some period of transition...

If we're near the bottom of League Two this time next year, I think we should be pleased.

Just now, deyres42 said:

Aren't we just getting the same results we were this time last year?

Better. Unsworth had a run of results for the 2nd half of the season that I think were about 1.7 points per game. Mellon is currently about 1.9. Plus Mellon is getting that right from the start whereas Unsworth took a few months to get to that level of PPG.

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Better. Unsworth had a run of results for the 2nd half of the season that I think were about 1.7 points per game. Mellon is currently about 1.9. Plus Mellon is getting that right from the start whereas Unsworth took a few months to get to that level of PPG.

You would hope that would be the case given the difference in experience and the squads they inherited.

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Aren't we just getting the same results we were this time last year?

Nope. Unsworth had just started to pick up results after a run of 3 wins in 17 (which took us into the bottom four.) Mellon in a similar timeframe has taken us from midtable to the playoffs. 

Night and day results wise, but then - you knew that old bean. 

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

You would hope that would be the case given the difference in experience and the squads they inherited.

😂😂😂

He’s back!

Are the results the same?

No- they’re very different. 

(Totally changes subject) 

Well they should be. 

• Like 1