MATCH: Maidenhead United (A) 17/02/24

Not wanting to poor cold water on all this wonderful optimism but Maidenhead have only won 2 of the last 10....A great win and more importantly the performance but they are on a terrible run.

Next week is now more important.  We seem to have struggled with the 3 games in 7 day weeks this season. 

An edgy win at York possibly on Tuesday but there's nothing more certain than a dreadful, piss poor home defeat in front of a sell out full house for Frank's homecoming.  It's Latics law.

Cup always half full.....E-I-E-I-E-I-O

⁹We looked so much sharper yesterday so whatever they've done this week needs to be replicated, good headache to have with Norwood and Dallas coming back in, I have to say though Garner and Fondop work great as a two and feed off each other, it's clicked straight away for them and they've took the pressure off the midfield.

Hammond is an upgrade in midfield, he will be a better player next season for sure but he's far more positive than what we are used to, he, Sheron and Conlon got through a huge amount of work, they gave Maidenhead little time to get anything going and Lundstrum will find it hard to get back in after yesterday. 

We generally looked solid at the back, Hogan did a fine job for an hour and I'm glad he came off when the second went in as he is an important player for us in the run in, he's had a couple of wobbles this season but he's been one of our better players for a number of weeks now.

Massive week coming up with 1500 trekking over to York Tuesday and a near full house at BP next week to look forward to, it feels like the good times are returning.

• Like 4

Thought yesterday was on par with Woking performance wise.

Was worried at halftime that not taking our chances could cost us but we carried on the good work in the second half.

Like a few have mentioned the ball from Sheron was class but it ended up even better with Garners effort to get on the end of it.

Found myself a lot calmer as the match went on that we wouldn’t self destruct.

Onto York now on Tuesday, will be a good atmosphere and hopefully another 3 points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

That play from Sheron for the first goal is immense. The strength to barge the guy off but then as good a pass as you'll see at any level. Classy finish from Garner too

If that was KDB to Haaland it would have been shown 53 times and fawned over by everyone 

For large parts of the game yesterday, we looked like a team that has finally understood how to play winning football in the National League.

Inevitably there were one or two poor passages of play when the familiar failings came to the fore (hoofing the ball away, passing to the opposition, poor touches  etc.) but we seemed in control for the most part. There were good performances from all but in particular, Green, Hammond, Garner and Fondop.

Fondop makes up for what he lacks in footballing intelligence with an abundance of energy and work rate - he is a better player when he doesn't have time to think about what he is doing I reckon.

The surprising thing was, given that we had so much of the play, that we didn't have more attempts on goal. That said, it was a very good performance with a great following from Oldham.

That's more like it MM. 😃

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Someone said Garner was written off before he'd played. Didn't see anyone do that. Many, me included, said they were a bit puzzled by the signing but we've seen the solution to the puzzle. 

28 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Great signing, but it was a puzzling one at the time. Without doubt ! 

Blowing my own trumpet here but I did suggest some reasons for signing him at the time! They were borne out yesterday as he was a menace, a threat and a positive influence on his teammates. 

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Oh FFS Sheron" when the ball left his boot

Exactly what I said to myself too😂 there was definitely an element of fortune about it too and the goal was as much to do with the movement and anticipation from Garner!

No doubt If the keeper had come out and caught it, it would have been classed as an aimless hoof!!😂😂

Edited by oafc1955
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, oldham57 said:

Not wanting to poor cold water on all this wonderful optimism but Maidenhead have only won 2 of the last 10....A great win and more importantly the performance but they are on a terrible run.

We’ve lost numerous times this season to sides on runs like that, it’s been our Achilles heel. Yesterday sounds like a throughly professional performance and what we should expect when playing sides like that. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Someone said Garner was written off before he'd played. Didn't see anyone do that. Many, me included, said they were a bit puzzled by the signing but we've seen the solution to the puzzle. 

I think the signing has been made with the [inside] knowledge that we'll lose Norwood at some point soon. He was feeling his hamstring weeks before we signed Garner (IIRC he'd have missed Eastleigh had that match gone ahead). Allied to the fact that three strikers weren't deemed to be in MM's plans at all then we were, and are, fairly lightweight with attacking options at the moment. Once Norwood, Dallas and Walker return from injury we'll have a full complement of four dedicated strikers plus Walker, Hope and Green who can all play in wide attacking positions. Looks like overkill at first hand, but as we've seen with games coming thick and fast now, we absolutely require that strength in depth which should hopefully be an advantage that most of our play-off competitors don't have. Alty for example are one bad knock to Conn-Clark away from derailing IMO.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Exactly what I said to myself too😂 there was definitely an element of fortune about it too and the goal was as much to do with the movement and anticipation from Garner!

No doubt If the keeper had come out and caught it, it would have been classed as an aimless hoof!!😂😂

There's no such thing as an effective pass to a team mate who's just stood there, completely static. Part of the skill of the pass is in anticipating and allowing for your team mate's movement. 

2 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I think the signing has been made with the [inside] knowledge that we'll lose Norwood at some point soon. He was feeling his hamstring weeks before we signed Garner (IIRC he'd have missed Eastleigh had that match gone ahead). Allied to the fact that three strikers weren't deemed to be in MM's plans at all then we were, and are, fairly lightweight with attacking options at the moment. Once Norwood, Dallas and Walker return from injury we'll have a full complement of four dedicated strikers plus Walker, Hope and Green who can all play in wide attacking positions. Looks like overkill at first hand, but as we've seen with games coming thick and fast now, we absolutely require that strength in depth which should hopefully be an advantage that most of our play-off competitors don't have. Alty for example are one bad knock to Conn-Clark away from derailing IMO.

Absolutely that. He knew the ones he wanted and he wanted 4 of them, so that we should have 3 available even if one is injured / suspended. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

There's no such thing as an effective pass to a team mate who's just stood there, completely static. Part of the skill of the pass is in anticipating and allowing for your team mate's movement. 

🤔Are you saying Sheron took all that into account prior to the delivering of the pass?😆😂

7 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

🤔Are you saying Sheron took all that into account prior to the delivering of the pass?😆😂

Yes. What I'm saying is that great passes for great goals always have to allow for the recipient to move. This is not "walking football" and it's not netball. If all the players just ran to a new position and then stopped again every time possession changed then there would be a lot more successful passes, and it would all look rather strange. Of course there is some luck involved in making such a pass, as the intended recipient may move somewhere else, it's very dynamic, and of course there is almost always some deviation between where the ball was meant to go and where it ends up. However, if you don't have a go then you can't ever make a great pass. He had a go and it turned out it was a great pass. Thanks. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

He saying - Sheron saw Gardner make the run and played it front of him to run onto/get to. (Gardner made the pass look better with his timing, but nevertheless it was still a cracking ball that split the two defenders.) 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, League one forever said:

He saying - Sheron saw Gardner make the run and played it front of him to run onto/get to. (Gardner made the pass look better with his timing, but nevertheless it was still a cracking ball that split the two defenders.) 

Hoof. Sheron can't pass. He can only run

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

To get it wrong once is understandable-but twice?????????

3 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

To get it wrong once is understandable-but twice?????????

Eh? Anyone playing a long diagonal into space in front of a player- needs the other player to actually move. 

To many on here have made their mind up on Sheron, despite him being our highest scoring midfielder, player of the season last year, playing under every manager etc etc. It was an outstanding pass, made all the better by his tenacity in the wining the ball back. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Hoof. Sheron can't pass. He can only run

To be fair, you don't see many hoofs played with the outside of the foot and with the right amount of drift to just take it away from the first defender. I'm happy to give Sheron the benefit of doubt on this Beckenbauer-esque piece of outrageous skill on this occasion, or call it a shank instead. 😂

Not knocking the assist it was a great ball but he continued to give the ball away yesterday, sometimes winning it back himself, he also punted aimlessly at times. Still I'd have given him 7/10 for yesterday's performance. 

5 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

indeed. people who think signing class players is puzzling have been damaged by our recent history havent they!!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, oldham57 said:

..but there's nothing more certain than a dreadful, piss poor home defeat in front of a sell out full house for Frank's homecoming.  It's Latics law..

Precisely the kind of mentality which OAFC fans have to get over and do away with.
It's not just the players who need to change.