MATCH: Maidenhead United (A) 17/02/24

Love MM's post match when asked what work they have done to improve Fondop. 

"Told him to move his arse"

When he does he is a big unit and a handful for defences. Got to love his enthusiasm.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Ahem

Fucking hell you spend your Saturday night's trawling every one of my posts to try and win an argument, Sachdev isn't as was proved Tuesday as he didn't come out for the second half minutes after my post and why he was probably dropped today, Hammond has improved with each game which I've commented at full time on Tuesday but you didn't want to post that quote for some reason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Fucking hell you spend your Saturday night's trawling every one of my posts to try and win an argument, Sachdev isn't as was proved Tuesday as he didn't come out for the second half minutes after my post and why he was probably dropped today, Hammond has improved with each game which I've commented at full time on Tuesday but you didn't want to post that quote for some reason.

More the point you just write players off so soon then talk about not giving Sutton shit as if you never unfairly single players out

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

More the point you just write players off so soon then talk about not giving Sutton shit as if you never unfairly single players out

Fair comment but to be fair I normally admit when I get it wrong, Sutton's criticism is unfair particularly as he plays out of position but still gives his all.

• Like 2

Probably our best performance of the season that today, with Woking away maybe a contender also. No one had a poor game, which was nice to see. We’ve all complained about midfield all season, so the most pleasing thing today for me was that all 4 of the midfielders were involved and a lot of our play went through them, cannot remember saying that too often in recent years. 

• Like 3

I listened to the game today and based on that and the reports so far, it sounded like an excellent performance. That is seven points from nine following the loss against Woking, and our form over the last 10 games matches that only of Chesterfield, which surely must be causing concern amongst the likes of Bromley and Barnet, both of whom have shown signs of slowing over the same period (although they got brilliant results today).

Clearly a long way to go, but if we're putting in what some have described as our best performance of the season then it suggests we're getting better and stronger and the prospect of us being that team that is building momentum in the second half of a season is genuinely exciting. If we match our form over the last 10 then we're gearing up for for a possible tilt at a 3rd, or even 2nd place, finish. I can't quite bring myself to believe that will happen but that is probably years of negative conditioning!

Looking forward to York now.

7 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

It’s the intercity and stopping trains main line into Paddington, so yes always busy. 

Someone mentioned that this is the oldest continuously used ground in the country - the stand presumably isn’t, but hopefully it’ll be ok!

The original main stand burned down in 86.

Think a few posters on here would enjoy that guys X output.

Fairly certain the intercity trains from Wales and the West Country go through Maidenhead between Reading and Paddington. Didn't notice too many of them but what with the Elizabeth line did seem a very busy line.

• Like 1

Very enjoyable game. There was a great intensity but also for the first time in a while we played with a real swagger. 

Well done to Fondop for keeping going and bagging a couple after his early misses. Hammond showed some real quality. Garner showing why he was signed - in the refs ear, all over the pitch, scored, constantly at his team mates and encouraging them. Loved it. 

10 hours ago, rudemedic said:

The original main stand burned down in 86.

Think a few posters on here would enjoy that guys X output.

Fairly certain the intercity trains from Wales and the West Country go through Maidenhead between Reading and Paddington. Didn't notice too many of them but what with the Elizabeth line did seem a very busy line.

Hes definitely the type of bloke who belongs in the Dull Mens club on Facebook which ofcourse I am a member too.

• Like 1

Superb game management from us. Only caught the first 25 mins and then snippets but it was the most mature, physical and dominating performance we've put in. It looks like another corner turned as we get to grips with the uglyness of the National League. Add onto it the mental fortitude we showed on Tuesday and it certainly looks like progress to me. Even throw a few stinkers in between now and the end of the season and we should still make the play-offs IMO.

Fondop has his limitations, as MM pointed out in the post match presser. But he has a bit of gold dust at this level in that defenders are scared of him. He's not blessed with a good footballing brain, but you have to have the determination and ability to adapt to instructions to succeed. He looked a monster yesterday and with Garner being the irritable pest that he's based his career on was an effective combination.

The first goal I saw clearly though. Outstanding from Sheron to barge their player off the ball into the sidings and happy to admit I let out a "Oh FFS Sheron" when the ball left his boot before the beatuiful drift right into Garner's path. Camera angle had a sublime view of the whole move. Best goal of the season for me, way above any thunderbastards.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

18 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I don't think he does.  We've played better without him!

I think that’s partly due to midfield failings, hopefully with Conlon and Hammond (and in fairness Green yesterday) we start to link midfield with the forwards rather than just lumping it from the back and leaving Norwood (or whoever) to feed off scraps

6 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

I think that’s partly due to midfield failings, hopefully with Conlon and Hammond (and in fairness Green yesterday) we start to link midfield with the forwards rather than just lumping it from the back and leaving Norwood (or whoever) to feed off scraps

Possibly.  Still, bit of a coincidence that the midfield start working once Norwood's not in the team..

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Someone said Garner was written off before he'd played. Didn't see anyone do that. Many, me included, said they were a bit puzzled by the signing but we've seen the solution to the puzzle. 

Great signing, but it was a puzzling one at the time. Without doubt !