MATCH: York City (A) 20/02/24

15 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

if we say the season started when tea time took over where would we be in the league?

The table based on all results from Mellon's first match onwards has us in 3rd place from what I can see:

1. Chesterfield P18 Pts43

2. Bromley P19 Pts36

3. Oldham P18 Pts34

4. Aldershot P19 Pts33

5. Fylde P19 Pts30

6. Dagenham P20 Pts29

7. Halifax P19 Pts29

8. Gateshead P17 Pts28

9. Maidenhead P20 Pts26

10. Altrincham P17 Pts25

14. Barnet P18 Pts24

16. Solihull P18 Pts24

But for some we're still inconsistent apparently.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Not so with this lad IMO. I saw him take a battering from 4  6ft + defenders who targetted him and came back for more, even giving some a taste of their own medicine.

Kidderminster won't be able to handle him I'm convinced of that.

Rarely seen such ability and desire in a young player.

MM needs the courage to start him I'd say on the right wing.

Given your endorsement I'm really excited to see him when he gets his chance.

Looking at remaining fixtures we have, I would think that we could end up with around 75 points or so (being conservative edging on the side of Latics being Latics).

in the last 10 years think 75 has been good enough for top 7 finish, which means nothing with this table I suppose!    

Last night wasn't great by any means but as long as we keep plugging away and picking up points, winning ugly when needed, likelihood is at least a crack at play offs.

52 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

The table based on all results from Mellon's first match onwards has us in 3rd place from what I can see:

1. Chesterfield P18 Pts43

2. Bromley P19 Pts36

3. Oldham P18 Pts34

4. Aldershot P19 Pts33

5. Fylde P19 Pts30

6. Dagenham P20 Pts29

7. Halifax P19 Pts29

8. Gateshead P17 Pts28

9. Maidenhead P20 Pts26

10. Altrincham P17 Pts25

14. Barnet P18 Pts24

16. Solihull P18 Pts24

But for some we're still inconsistent apparently.

thats excellent NZ thank you 👍🏻

what a guy

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, deckyd said:

Looking at remaining fixtures we have, I would think that we could end up with around 75 points or so (being conservative edging on the side of Latics being Latics).

in the last 10 years think 75 has been good enough for top 7 finish, which means nothing with this table I suppose!    

Last night wasn't great by any means but as long as we keep plugging away and picking up points, winning ugly when needed, likelihood is at least a crack at play offs.

That would represent a slight drop in form under Mellon so far. If we carried on at his current PPG we'd have 78 points.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm not advocating a Reid return that's Mellons call, your post just misses the point though on what Reid offers, he is a goal a game man on minutes played so if he was to maintain that then that alone would be impressive and that's without him taking the penalties so all goals from open play.

He also offers something different, I know Mellon prefers the graft and battering ram approach but Green has proven that pace is key at our level, these big pudding defenders hate it, Reid gets in behind and plays off the last man so he would of been perfect last night in the last 20 against tiring legs. He turns defences and causes a different type of problem.

All that said I'm not really bothered if he plays for us again after what went on at Christmas, same goes for McGahey for that matter but there is no denying he'd add something to the 16 we are currently naming, particularly late in games. He'll probably end up somewhere like Macclesfield in the summer, they'll love all the nonsense that surrounds him there.

Perhaps my point didn't come across right.

Believe it or not I would have him in the squad for the football reasons you stated but it's just that rose tinted view of him that he is better than he actually is and some are trying to use him to have a go at MM.

I don't think he has knuckled down and tried to make amends like McGahey has and so I trust MM to make the call on him whether to play him.

Looking at last night I really don't think he would have touched the ball if he came on as sub and that is a reflection of the team behind him and not him but a lot of people are clamouring that he would have single-handedly changed the game and that is just fanciful thinking.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

All that said I'm not really bothered if he plays for us again after what went on at Christmas, same goes for McGahey for that matter

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Just seen the Oldham Times, looks like he has pretty much said he won't be back.

Fair play Micky, as you were lads.

It's been blown up out of all proportion for me - so he said 'What the Fuck are we doing here?' when asked to come in on Xmas day - hardly an earth shattering crime is it? He was disciplined but should be brought back in to the first team squad - Melon is overreacting in my opinion and its costing the team.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

People love to point out Mellon's P2G ratio, Reid I believe has one of if not the best M2G ratio in the squad, seems odd that you wouldn't want to utilise that asset.

But if all of what you say is true then it shouldn't be too difficult for Mellon to come out and explain that the player is no longer being considered for selection.

Other factors have come into play off the pitch that stop him being utilised.

The fact he is not being selected confirms he is (at the moment) not being considered for selection. This has happened since Christmas so we all more or less know why, so what is there to explain?

15 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

That would represent a slight drop in form under Mellon so far. If we carried on at his current PPG we'd have 78 points.

thats even better 😎

winning on sat is now rather important. seasons over if we don't

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

It's been blown up out of all proportion for me - so he said 'What the Fuck are we doing here?' when asked to come in on Xmas day - hardly an earth shattering crime is it? He was disciplined but should be brought back in to the first team squad - Melon is overreacting in my opinion and its costing the team.

You don't know that's all that happened though. There may have been and probably are other factors that have led to him being treated differently to McGahey.

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

You don't know that's all that happened though. There may have been and probably are other factors that have led to him being treated differently to McGahey.

Melon’s response is bollox in my opinion.

Asked by The Oldham Times about Reid's absence, Latics boss Mellon said: "I have the group that I'm working with and I'll continue to do that.

Bollox.

9 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Other factors have come into play off the pitch that stop him being utilised.

The fact he is not being selected confirms he is (at the moment) not being considered for selection. This has happened since Christmas so we all more or less know why, so what is there to explain?

He doesn't have to explain anything but the question will continue to rear its head after every non victory.

6 hours ago, JoeP said:

On a lighter note, we're almost certainly not going to go down...

With 53 points already, we're definitely not going down! 

17 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

Honestly I just can’t believe how poor we are at playing football, we seem incapable of passing the ball at any kind of pace on the ground to our teammates. I guess it’s just this division and we are still capable of scraping 07th spot.

On a positive note, as our away from is better than our home form, finishing 6th or 7th could be ok! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He doesn't have to explain anything but the question will continue to rear its head after every non victory.

Alas that is true, so stop rearing the question then it wouldn't :)

Also my answer will also rear then "he probably wouldn't have made a difference"

8 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

Re Alex Reid

He's continuing to play the fool and needs calling out for it.

Prior to the Xmas day video, he was given a final warning due to a previous misdemeanor. Lets work on the assumption that is something neither he or the club want to go public...

He's now out of the fold and trying to undermine Mellon and the club, by saying he's fit and ready to go, knowing full well he isn't considered for selection due to the above, and making it out like he's the victim for not being picked.

He knows full well that the previous misdemeanor won't come out so he knows he can continue to play this game and not come out looking like the bad guy.

It's really snakey behaviour and for me, a justification and proof point of why he's not involved. Perhaps if he was more concerned about his career than likes on social, he wouldn't be in this situation.

Go on then I’ll bite. 

What did he previously do wrong ?

Q the “I can’t say” 

Just now, LightDN123 said:

Go on then I’ll bite. 

What did he previously do wrong ?

Q the “I can’t say” 

It was a previous issue the club had to deal with and gave him a last warning - does it matter what it was? 

Take the post how you will, but I reckon Reid is playing silly buggers undermining manager, club and misleading fans.

Rest of the points still stand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Atherton is ready to start, he's no shrinking violet and despite being able to run at defenders, cross the ball and shoot on sight

his tackling back is tremendous.

I don't know why MM won't play him as in training he will be just the same. If he can take Manchester United u21s apart and score against them Kidderminster will hold no fears.

An 11, 000 crowd urging him on will be perfect.

BP I am taking your word on this and your previous good judgement . I totally agreed with you on James Berry . But I have only seen clips of Atherton as good as they are its always a gamble . I wonder if he is any relation to Michael?

3 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Yes.

The club deemed it as something strong enough to go to a final warning, and he then continues to post stupid things, then it really doesn't matter. He deserves to be bombed out.

If the club don't want to publicise what it was (nor should they if it's an internal matter) then I'm not going to do it for them, potentially causing unwanted issues.

Edited by LaticsLegend
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

The club deemed it as something strong enough to go to a final warning, and he then continues to post stupid things, then it really doesn't matter. He deserves to be bombed out.

If the club don't want to publicise what it was (nor should they if it's an internal matter) then I'm not going to do it for them, potentially causing unwanted issues.

Nothing good comes from social media posts !!!!!  :getmecoat:

12 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

Is that because you have no idea?

• Like 2