MATCH: York City (A) 20/02/24

Crap performance, too many not quite at it, strange dropping Green but I'm sure there were reasons, Hudson poor for the goal and very nearly threw the point away. Kitching and Hogan playing the same position at times - why?, Hammond struggled tonight and Fondop frustrated before the goal. I thought Hobson, Hogan, Conlon, Garner and Green when he came on played well the rest just didn't have the same snap as Saturday, still I'll take the point and we go again Saturday.

• Like 1

Poor game of football and I felt we had  a few more gears to move up to grab the win. But never felt concerned that we would lose that game, which is unusual when watching Latics - so we do have an air of authority about us, despite not showing too much quality.

The league is a bit bonkers and is going to be very tense over the next few months. If we finish in the playoffs I think it’ll be tight. We’ve matches against Bromley, Aldershot, Halifax, Chesterfield, Alty, in form Fylde and derby day v Rochdale all to come in the next month or so. All big big games.

Got to give credit to Gateshead, who I thought would sink after losing their manager and key players. They’ve just won 5 out of 6 to go back above us.

Our last game of the season is a good one, at home to Wealdstone. If we can be in a position where a win secures playoffs, I’d be happy with that. 

Edited by Sloshed Joe

Not great, not terrible. On another day we'd have seen that out and ground out a 1-0, as we restricted York to very little. I thought we were solid at the back, won everything in the air and generally reduced them to nowt inside the box - just a slip in concentration for their goal. We struggled to create much but had we raised our game even 10% we'd be celebrating another away win.

A win against Kiddy would cap off a solid week. We really could do with a string of victories just to solidify our place in the top seven. 

Edited by Astro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

A poor performance against a poor side. Atmosphere was also very poor. There's a lot of self-proclaim from sections of the Oldham fanbase, but tonight isn't the first time they've been subdued...

Wasn't a great atmosphere but then 1500 supporters were more or less split in two and Tuesday nights are seldom memorable given the lack of time to get on the drink.

Predicted 1-1 in the thread earlier, it was always going to be tight. They are poor but don’t ship many at home. Thought they shaded the first half and us the 2nd. 

Frustrating to concede when we did though as I felt we where in control at 1-0 with a lot of the ball being played at the far end of the pitch to our fans. 

It wasn’t great but we’ve played much worse this season. Win Saturday and this isn’t a bad point. 

Kitchings performance/positioning tonight was bizarre. At times he was basically a Left Forward in a 3, then LWB/LB and on occasion crept into like a left CM. Odd.

Also the ref kinda ruined the game. Blew for free kicks every 30 seconds. York players spent most of the match on the floor, as did Garner. 

Edited by aaronoafc

Not a great game to say the least but let's stay positive - it's a point away from home and we're still in the playoffs.

The classic game of two halves and nobody played particularly bad or particularly good.

I have to say that whilst Conlon was industrious in midfield his set piece balls were pretty poor I thought.

First off, the ref ruined that game, prick. 

I knew Kitching would come back in, but why was it for Green ? And why the fuck did he play left mid ?

We had a centre back at left back, left back at left wing, centre back at right back, a centre mid at right wing. - puzzling. 

Should have been for Sutton with Kitching and Green as the wing backs. 

Hammond was extremely poor, as was Sheron. 

Battling performance and take the point. We need to win Saturday.

Mellon said in his post match interview that Green came off on Saturday with a knock, so couldn’t play 90 tonight but was always gonna come on at some point.

Also said none of the injured lot likely to be back for Saturday, maybe Dallas.

Has it ever been confirmed that Walker is injured? He just disappeared without a mention.

1 hour ago, GKing521 said:

We need to win at the very least two games back to back when we are in the play offs.

They do not have the minerals.

Season was over in December so what do you care?

Are you telling me you don't think we could win away at, say, Solihull, then again at, say, Barnet, the next (away) game?

6 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Also worth pointing out the mental weakness of Solihull, Bromley, Barnet and Altrincham who all dropped points against lower teams tonight. Thus proving they also have no chance in the play offs. 

exxxxxxccellent

15 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Reid situation needs sorting, especially if Dallas and Norwood continue to be unavailable, laughable that a proven goalscorer is languishing in exile without explanation, journos really need to be pushing Mellon harder on this.

He’s hardly doing himself any favours posting about being on the lash on Friday night.  If he was the ultimate professional trying to get back in the team he should have been at Maidenhead watching the team. Sit near Susan from the Oldham Times, clap the goals, show you give a shit. Let the media see you are there.

Edited by Lukers1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

I knew Kitching would come back in, but why was it for Green ? And why the fuck did he play left mid ?

We had a centre back at left back, left back at left wing, centre back at right back, a centre mid at right wing. - puzzling. 

Should have been for Sutton with Kitching and Green as the wing backs. 

Hammond was extremely poor, as was Sheron. 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Reid situation needs sorting, especially if Dallas and Norwood continue to be unavailable, laughable that a proven goalscorer is languishing in exile without explanation

Melon has brought in six players since he took over.

Three of them: Dallas, Walker & Sachdev were not even in the squad last night (the first two have hardly featured since joining).
A fourth player, Hammond, was hauled off after 52 minutes.

Garner played last night but seemed to spend most of the game either on his arse or embroiled in niggling altercations.

Conlon was average at best and doesn’t seem to trust his right foot…

Melons tactics, and the way he set up last night, were baffling. He also only used one of his three available substitutes - why? And there was no striker on the bench too - the Reid situation needs sorting.

The standard of football and style of play was desperate last night - horrible football.

Oh… and we still got a point 😮

8 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Mellon said in his post match interview that Green came off on Saturday with a knock, so couldn’t play 90 tonight but was always gonna come on at some point.

Also said none of the injured lot likely to be back for Saturday, maybe Dallas.

Has it ever been confirmed that Walker is injured? He just disappeared without a mention.

Walker has a thigh strain so longer term injury than either Dallas or Norwood.

15 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Melon has brought in six players since he took over.

Three of them: Dallas, Walker & Sachdev were not even in the squad last night (the first two have hardly featured since joining).
A fourth player, Hammond, was hauled off after 52 minutes.

Garner played last night but seemed to spend most of the game either on his arse or embroiled in niggling altercations.

Conlon was average at best and doesn’t seem to trust his right foot…

Melons tactics, and the way he set up last night, were baffling. He also only used one of his three available substitutes - why? And there was no striker on the bench too - the Reid situation needs sorting.

The standard of football and style of play was desperate last night - horrible football.

Oh… and we still got a point 😮

And yet, the longest active unbeaten away run (8) in the National Leagues.