MATCH: York City (A) 20/02/24

24 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

It was a previous issue the club had to deal with and gave him a last warning - does it matter what it was? 

Take the post how you will, but I reckon Reid is playing silly buggers undermining manager, club and misleading fans.

Rest of the points still stand.

Well you’re effectively asking me to take the word of a random person on the internet. So yes, I want to see if you actually have details.

If you cared so much about keeping it quiet for the good of the club, as you refer to above, you would never have made the initial post in the first place. 

File this in the bull shit category, for now. 

Edited by LightDN123

Just now, LightDN123 said:

Well you’re effectively asking me to take the word of a random person on the internet. So yes, I want to see if you actually have details.

If you cared so much about keeping it quiet for the good of the club, as you refer to below, you would never have made the initial post in the first place. 

Fair enough.

23 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

If you cared so much about keeping it quiet for the good of the club, as you refer to above, you would never have made the initial post in the first place. 

I don’t think there was an incident as such. A friend who works in a small role at the club said around November there was an update on the social media policy and all staff had to sign. Asked the reason why.  This was down to Reid’s TikTok lives 

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

It's been blown up out of all proportion for me - so he said 'What the Fuck are we doing here?' when asked to come in on Xmas day - hardly an earth shattering crime is it? He was disciplined but should be brought back in to the first team squad - Melon is overreacting in my opinion and it’s costing the team.

Just now, Lukers1 said:
2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

It's been blown up out of all proportion for me - so he said 'What the Fuck are we doing here?' when asked to come in on Xmas day - hardly an earth shattering crime is it? He was disciplined but should be brought back in to the first team squad - Melon is overreacting in my opinion and it’s costing the team.

The point people are missing that he was on a verbal warning by the club for social media posts. 

He didn’t learn so got a final written warning.

You can’t have a player thinking he’s above the club. He also did the recording in the dressing room with not many other players knowing what he was doing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

The point people are missing that he was on a verbal warning by the club for social media posts. 

He didn’t learn so got a final written warning.

You can’t have a player thinking he’s above the club. He also did the recording in the dressing room with not many other players knowing what he was doing.

If that's the case he's even thicker and childish than he comes across, I'd heard reports about him from stays at previous clubs but thought he may have grown up a little, obviously not.

A hard game last night. After going one up pity we could not hold the lead. Their goal certainly looked off side. Just watched again on the highlights and it appears a definite off side. However late in the game they could have nicked it after Hudson dropped the ball after a cross and here was a scramble which was poked wide.

Regarding Reid I respect Mellon's reasons for not playing him. It is frustrating to have only two strikers to choose from at the moment but Dallas and Norwood will be available very soon again. 

Fondop is certainly doing well and always full of commitment. 

40 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

If that's the case he's even thicker and childish than he comes across, I'd heard reports about him from stays at previous clubs but thought he may have grown up a little, obviously not.

It was never what was said (by McGahey) on the video that I was offended by - it was the sheer stupidity of Reid to upload it to social media that was the issue.

I'm pretty sure that one of the first things Challinor did when he went in at Stockport was to freeze him out. I think he's alright, but destined for a career as a model or in Love Island...

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Melon’s response is bollox in my opinion.

Asked by The Oldham Times about Reid's absence, Latics boss Mellon said: "I have the group that I'm working with and I'll continue to do that.

Bollox.

You have no idea how Reid responded to MM when sanctioned at the beginning.  Whatever happened at the beginning clearly cannot be undone/unsaid. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

And that shows what an ordinary league this really is and what we could achieve with more consistency. 

We're consistent at the moment results wise

5 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

It's been blown up out of all proportion for me - so he said 'What the Fuck are we doing here?' when asked to come in on Xmas day - hardly an earth shattering crime is it? He was disciplined but should be brought back in to the first team squad - Melon is overreacting in my opinion and its costing the team.

You think he's overreacting but you don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Would you bring him back in even if it would unsettle the group? I wouldn't.

I've no idea what he's done/doing in training.

I'd trust MM to make the right call for the good of the squad though

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

We're consistent at the moment results wise

You think he's overreacting but you don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Would you bring him back in even if it would unsettle the group? I wouldn't.

I've no idea what he's done/doing in training.

I'd trust MM to make the right call for the good of the squad though

Agreed. Reid was an idiot to post the Xmas video, and a complete idiot if he’d been previously warned. MM is an experienced manager with a good track record. Why people think he should lower his disciplinary standards for Reid is totally beyond me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

I know you're a fan of Atherton, and I'm keen to see him play and do well, but lots of our loans have demonstrated there's a gulf between U21 and senior football, even at National League level.

That may be true, but on the other hand if he doesn’t get a chance how will we ever know?

If you’re good enough, you’re old enough, at any level. Plenty of teenagers have impressed in the PL and other top leagues around Europe. I’m not for a minute claiming Atherton is their equal, but the point stands.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

That may be true, but on the other hand if he doesn’t get a chance how will we ever know?

If you’re good enough, you’re old enough, at any level. Plenty of teenagers have impressed in the PL and other top leagues around Europe. I’m not for a minute claiming Atherton is their equal, but the point stands.

Look at Mainoo of Manchester United, they could have let him stay in the under 21s yet decided to see how he shaped if given the chance against seniors.

The same u21s against whom Atherton was impressive and probably 2 or 3 years younger than some of the United players.

Not all work out, but at least you know where you stand, but it's great if they come off.

I still remember Chris Taylor's brilliant debut.

• Like 2

I reflected on the points made by @BP1960 and @Worcester Owl as I watched a 16yo play for Barcelona in the CL last night. But I also remember the siren calls for Jake Forshaw to be given a go last season.

For me, I trust in the manager to decide when the time is right to blood Atherton (great name by the way, Alfie Atherton, could have come straight out of the 60s) and am similarly excited to see what he's got.

1 hour ago, Hemel latic said:

I reflected on the points made by @BP1960 and @Worcester Owl as I watched a 16yo play for Barcelona in the CL last night. But I also remember the siren calls for Jake Forshaw to be given a go last season.

For me, I trust in the manager to decide when the time is right to blood Atherton (great name by the way, Alfie Atherton, could have come straight out of the 60s) and am similarly excited to see what he's got.

I keep seeing this with regards Forshaw but I can't recall anyone bigging him up in the same way we should with Atherton, Atherton offers so much more and I've got to say he's visibly physically stronger than he was just a few months ago, there are plenty of youngsters holding their own from the Champions League down it's just about finding an opportunity for him. I'd much rather see him in a matchday squad or an option from the bench in favour of someone like Hope, hopefully Micky can introduce him but I've always had Mellon down as a manager who'd rather play a 36 year old than a 16 year old - regardless of ability.

52 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I keep seeing this with regards Forshaw, but I can't recall anyone bigging him up in the same way we should with Atherton, Atherton offers so much more and I've got to say he's visibly physically stronger than he was just a few months ago, there are plenty of youngsters holding their own from the Champions League down it's just about finding an opportunity for him. I'd much rather see him in a matchday squad or an option from the bench in favour of someone like Hope, hopefully Micky can introduce him but I've always had Mellon down as a manager who'd rather play a 36 year old than a 16 year old - regardless of ability.

You are right, Forshaw was never pushed to play by those who'd seen him, he scored goals, but is still very raw and may well improve in a couple of years time.

Atherton is a different in that he all the attributes including a tremendous work ethic to step up right now. MM must see this in training, but as suggested he seems to prefer 'experience'. He has signed a young right back and left winger, but has gone back to older players. I don't think he's convinced about Hammond either.

I guess it's worked before in the past for him so I can understand that.

My concern is we might not see him play in the first team if a major club puts a big bid in. Manchester United must be interested as he outshone their own under 21s including many internationals in the recent friendly.

My only concern is if he starts he will receive hardly any service as we have no one who can pass a ball apart from Conlon, hoof ball over his head is no good to him.

Perhaps MM sees it that way too.

Edited by BP1960

51 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I keep seeing this with regards Forshaw but I can't recall anyone bigging him up in the same way we should with Atherton, Atherton offers so much more and I've got to say he's visibly physically stronger than he was just a few months ago, there are plenty of youngsters holding their own from the Champions League down it's just about finding an opportunity for him. I'd much rather see him in a matchday squad or an option from the bench in favour of someone like Hope, hopefully Micky can introduce him but I've always had Mellon down as a manager who'd rather play a 36 year old than a 16 year old - regardless of ability.

I think those pushing for his inclusion had mostly never seen a youth game in their lives

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

there was but it was mostly the twitter mob and a few on here but l think six of them were wiseowl and four were lbby so it maybe somewhat skewed on that front!!

1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

there was but it was mostly the twitter mob and a few on here but l think six of them were wiseowl and four were lbby so it maybe somewhat skewed on that front!!

It highlights what I see as a scourge of modern football - stats.  But more the interpretation of the stats rather than the stats themselves.  I am sure lots of them are very useful for clubs and managers when they are analysed and put in the proper context but that level of analysis isn't available to the ordinary fan so the strong likelihood is that the stats will be misinterpreted - as Forshaw's goalscoring streak this time last year appears to have been.

I had a four hour drive last night back home and had the Liverpool/Luton game on the radio - which was fun until Liverpool steamrollered them.  The commentary was more to do with the stats than the game.  At one point I was regaled with the fact that Liverpool had won 59.21% of aerial duels, to which the only sensible response is 'So bloody what?'

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It highlights what I see as a scourge of modern football - stats.  But more the interpretation of the stats rather than the stats themselves.  I am sure lots of them are very useful for clubs and managers when they are analysed and put in the proper context but that level of analysis isn't available to the ordinary fan so the strong likelihood is that the stats will be misinterpreted - as Forshaw's goalscoring streak this time last year appears to have been.

I had a four hour drive last night back home and had the Liverpool/Luton game on the radio - which was fun until Liverpool steamrollered them.  The commentary was more to do with the stats than the game.  At one point I was regaled with the fact that Liverpool had won 59.21% of aerial duels, to which the only sensible response is 'So bloody what?'

Anyone who doesn't immediately look up the xG, xA and turnover stats after a game simply doesn't understand the sport

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Anyone who doesn't immediately look up the xG, xA and turnover stats after a game simply doesn't understand the sport

Anyone who doesn't know what xG, xA and turnover stats are clearly has a happy, well-balanced  life !

• Like 4