MATCH: Kidderminster Harriers (H) 24/02/24 - Frank's Homecoming

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

But when you weren’t playing Leeds—

On the BBC sport website there is a video of the 1970 FA Cup final replay Chelsea v Leeds that is how to play the game (I'd post it on here but I'm fucked if I know how to do it) 

Interestingly a top ref from today’s premier league was asked to watch it in full to see how many cards he would have given out , 11 reds and virtually every player would have got a yellow.

On the day I think only 1 or 2 yellows were given - how times have changed.

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

On the BBC sport website there is a video of the 1970 FA Cup final replay Chelsea v Leeds that is how to play the game (I'd post it on here but I'm fucked if I know how to do it) 

Refs let the game flow back then.😆

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I assume you mean how bad football could be. Players are human and so can make mistakes. Let's face it, how that guy called Pele could have missed with his shot from inside his own half in the 1970 World Cup beggars belief, what was wrong with him? Clearly Beckham was a far better player 🤣🤣🤣. As for George Best, I doubt he would have made the current Latics squad.

No just trying to counter BPs ludicrous claim that football was better back then or the more ridiculous notion that players were fitter without these trendy fitness coaches and GPS's are a load of nonsense, it's a rather tinted glasses view of the world back then.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

No just trying to counter BPs ludicrous claim that football was better back then or the more ridiculous notion that players were fitter without these trendy fitness coaches and GPS's are a load of nonsense, it's a rather tinted glasses view of the world back then.

Glad I was there to see it, just sorry the younger ones have never seen anything like it.

When a fan has witnessed football played in blizzarding snow, the lines wiped clear and using an orange ball, then the ridicule at the pampering of today's overpaid players is somewhat understandable. It's a totally different game today and the profile of star players has been elevated.

It is what it is and what someone has never seen, they will never miss. I am fortunate to have witnessed the old regime but also fortunate to watch the game develop into what it is now on a massive widescreen TV, no thicker than a wafer, ultra-hd picture with surround sound and beer on tap.

10 hours ago, disjointed said:

Charlton had skill and class oozing out of every pore. 

But I suppose people want to see your Nathan Sherons running around a bit nowadays. 

I want both and more.

Putting in effort is the bare minimum. Some players are better at putting in effort across the whole 90+ minutes, but being seen as "lazy" doesn't mean that player is. Not every professional footballer is suited to running around for 90+ minutes. Messi walks an awful lot these days but he can still turn it on in the 119th minute if given the opportunity. Not to mention some players are told to put in as much effort as they can for as long as they can because the manager is intending on subbing them anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2024 at 7:06 PM, GKing521 said:

I’ve come to absolutely hate our squad. 

They’re so well looked after, paid very well and they just couldn’t give a fuck.

It can’t just be a coincidence that players that have earned rave reviews elsewhere, turn to absolute shit when they put our shirt on. I don’t know if it’s a culture issue, or something else.. but it stinks.

I wouldn’t be able to look at any of them in the eye after yesterday. I’m so utterly disgusted at the lack of effort they produced on such an occasion it actually makes me feel sick. 

Chancers.

This. Again.