MATCH: Kidderminster Harriers (H) 24/02/24 - Frank's Homecoming

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Well if the players can't do as they are instructed he needs to find those who will.  A massive clear out at the end of the season will tell us more.

Could be the largest in our history.

Does anyone know the biggest numbers of players released?

Jesus, were in the playoffs with a manager who's on 1.79PPG. 

39 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It's very unlikely that I'll see another game this season for one reason or another.  So looks like it I'll go through 23/24 without actually seeing us win.

Season ticket holder and I've only seen 5 wins including Rochdale away! (Missed the Barnet game and left Borehamwood game at HT 😂).

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Often described as 'leggy' which our players look to be.

Why is that?

I’m not usually expected to explain someone else’s observation, you seem to understand what is meant by “leggy” as you agree our players look to be.  What can say is that bringing them in on the Sunday after a league match and only a short time before the next league game is not the advise a sports Rehab Therapist would give to result in them being converted from leggy to lively!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Season ticket holder and I've only seen 5 wins including Rochdale away! (Missed the Barnet game and left Borehamwood game at HT 😂).

Same here 5 wins only, and 1 of those was at Alty in the cup. 

Edited by disjointed

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Well if it was as simple as telling someone to do things and they would just do it then this whole Football Manager thing would be a really easy gig.

For all we know he could well have prepared them right said all the right things before the game and told them to start fast get the crowd on side and to do it for Frank but footballs not that simple if it was I'd be making a living in it.

Yes that's true but the point I was trying to make is that they have time to work on their weaknesses and should improve but our players are getting worse if anything. 

MM will have told them what to do, so when for the umpteenth time they don't I just wonder what the player says as an excuse.

Are they arguing back to MM saying the tactics are wrong or do they accept their own responsibility?

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

I’m not usually expected to explain someone else’s observation, you seem to understand what is meant by “leggy” as you agree our players look to be.  What can say is that bringing them in on the Sunday after a league match and only a short time before the next league game is not the advise a sports Rehab Therapist would give to result in them being converted from leggy to lively!

I wonder who our sports therapist was in the 1990s when sometimes the same players played 3 times in a week and still gave everything?

Cant play twice a week! what a load of trendy mumbo jumbo.

Part time players work a full shift and play midweek games on a regular basis due the many extra local cup competitions they take part in.

Some of our players don't play for weeks and still look tired.

If they did come in on a Sunday it wouldn't  be a full pelt training session anyway, more of a realisation poor performances have their consequences.  That goes for the Manager and coach too who should set an example.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I wonder who our sports therapist was in the 1990s when sometimes the same players played 3 times in a week and still gave everything?

Part time players work a full shift and play midweek games on a regular basis due the many extra local cup competitions they take part in.

If they did come in on a Sunday it wouldn't  be a full pelt training session anyway, more of a realisation poor performances have their consequences.  That goes for the Manager and coach too who should set an example.

I’m beginning to understand McFluff a little better😶.

I thought we were discussing why the players looked leggy (your word). 
you seemed BP, to be suggesting extra training without time to recover would help. I hope you are not suggesting playing 3 times a week will give them even more energy.

Often in Big Joe’s day, if we were playing twice a week he wouldn’t have the players train in between except to work on shape and game plan.  I’m guessing that was so the players wouldn’t look leggy.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, stargazer said:

'Leggy'..... in 1989/90 as part of a 65 season long fixture list , Oldham  played 10 games in 36 days , finishing the season with 4 games in 7 days .........

Yep, and missed out on winning anything 

5 hours ago, LaticsEddie said:

Innit. Lets get back to the days they all had a fag at half time n the keeper kept a pint behind the post.

Good job Bobby Johnstone never wore a tracker vest to measure his running, he'd have been disciplined for not covering more than 100 yards in a full match.

Another trendy gadget. Never mind football at BP will be played by robots in the future where the team can be properly programmed to play 7 at the back by a schoolkid in Japan.

😆

Edited by BP1960

7 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Good job Bobby Johnstone never wore a tracker vest to measure his running, he'd have been disciplined for not covering more than 100 yards in a full match.

Another trendy gadget. Never mind football at BP will be played by robots in the future where the team can be properly programmed to play 7 at the back by a schoolkid in Japan.

😆

I think you will find that the introduction of GPS was not to discipline players for being lazy.  The main reason it is used is to track the work load muscles have done and try to predict a player at risk of injury, so their training can be altered.

I can assure you the average player is much fitter in a cardiovascular sense now then back in the 80s and 90s. That includes the teams we are playing who are much further down the league. That’s why we are not simply fitter then other teams and actually need to be more switched on (react to second balls first) and physically aggressive to get to the ball ahead in a 50:50.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I know, I know. A Mr Liversedge, Noble, and Dr Kelso. Dr Kelso may have infrequently sought the opinion of other Latics supporting doctors too 😉. I’m not sure when Dr Kelso retired, so his successor, Dr Beardsell might also have been involved.

There’s a reason why football clubs can ask for a rescheduling of any game within 48 hours of another. It isn’t because modern footballers are lazy workshy layabouts, it’s because knowledge of sports rehabilitation has significantly improved since the 1990s. 17 years ago there were 3 recognised Sports and Exercise Medicine consultants in the whole of the UK. Nowadays there are double that number in Manchester alone. Plus about 10 in training in the North West. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I know, I know. A Mr Liversedge, Noble, and Dr Kelso. Dr Kelso may have infrequently sought the opinion of other Latics supporting doctors too 😉. I’m not sure when Dr Kelso retired, so his successor, Dr Beardsell might also have been involved.

There’s a reason why football clubs can ask for a rescheduling of any game within 48 hours of another. It isn’t because modern footballers are lazy workshy layabouts, it’s because knowledge of sports rehabilitation has significantly improved since the 1990s. 17 years ago there were 3 recognised Sports and Exercise Medicine consultants in the whole of the UK. Nowadays there are double that number in Manchester alone. Plus about 10 in training in the North West. 

Speaking of physiotherapists I noticed Lee Nobes was standing with Jurgen Klopp at Wembley on Sunday he's come along way since he left us infact he's worked as Head physio at both City and Liverpool 

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

My own GP Dr Hollis was also a Latics club doctor, he didn't mind being called out for home visits day or night when not at his  surgery attending to patients at 9am, noon and 4pm.

He used to say it was his vocation.

Now if you want to see a doctor it's a lottery and home visits are frowned upon with receptionists telling us to call NHS111, an ambulance or go to A&E. My brother was instructed to do this and after a 9 hour wait to be seen at the hospital sweating profusely saying he couldn't take anymore he was sent home.

When I questioned this I was told only one doctor was on duty at the time.

3 weeks later he died of pneumonia.

Technology has a lot to offer, but it cannot be allowed to take over from the human touch.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I occasionally watch The Big Match Revisited and the standard is almost always appalling, and now I'm beginning to understand why...

Interesting observation, Guy. There's no doubt that the game is much faster nowadays and players are fitter and physically stronger. Standard wise, though, I definitely saw more individual skill back in the day. I doubt I`ll ever see the likes of Groves, Stainrod, Valentine, McVitie, Shaw etc. in a Latics shirt again to be honest. Agree it's like comparing apples and pears really though. If those players could time travel forward, how would they look now? We'll never know but of one thing I`m pretty certain, nobody today would beat David Shaw for pace from a standing start over 20 yards. Perhaps only Warhurst and Barrett may have stood a fighting chance in my history of watching us. Oh and to have Simon Stainrod and his silky skills up front now, just superb to watch.

Anyway, I`m being positive and looking forward to a victory tonight, only wish I could be there to see us perform away from home.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Interesting observation, Guy. There's no doubt that the game is much faster nowadays and players are fitter and physically stronger. Standard wise, though, I definitely saw more individual skill back in the day. I doubt I`ll ever see the likes of Groves, Stainrod, Valentine, McVitie, Shaw etc. in a Latics shirt again to be honest. Agree it's like comparing apples and pears really though. If those players could time travel forward, how would they look now? We'll never know but of one thing I`m pretty certain, nobody today would beat David Shaw for pace from a standing start over 20 yards. Perhaps only Warhurst and Barrett may have stood a fighting chance in my history of watching us. Oh and to have Simon Stainrod and his silky skills up front now, just superb to watch.

Anyway, I`m being positive and looking forward to a victory tonight, only wish I could be there to see us perform away from home.

There was more time for individually skillful players show their arts then.  Try doing what they did when a team of super fit athletes is pressing like they do now.  

When Barrett and Warhurst were around there were several competitive sprinting competitions in training,  Ian Marshall won them all.

12 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I occasionally watch The Big Match Revisited and the standard is almost always appalling, and now I'm beginning to understand why...

Yep, I've thought this for years. If Bobby Charlton at 25 was playing now, I remain convinced he would play no higher than League One...

Old football was infact shit

if you want to see how bad football was back then see above a fixture between  2 of the top teams in the country Liverpool and Manchester United. The defending from Manchester United was something I'd expect to see from a group Under 9s on the pitch at Half time. So too is the miss from Kenny Dalglish one of the most technically accomplished players of his generation.