MATCH: Kidderminster Harriers (H) 24/02/24 - Frank's Homecoming

16 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

We start every home game the same. We change ends which makes no sense. We kick off lump it into touch, to give them a throwing to attack.

we are a long ball team but not good at it. It’s aimless hoofing, we create very little. 

any team who presses us we panic. 

How do we know it was our choice to switch ends? It's whoever wins the toss who decides isn't it?

46 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I rate each of Hobson, Raglan and Hogan individually at this level, but as a unit they've just conceded 2 poor goals from corners in the last 2 games that have directly lost us points.  Add to that they don't look like an attacking threat from set pieces either despite their height, physicality and nous (admittedly Conlon and Gardner's slow drifted balls don't help) and there has to be questions asked about them.

Fair point, but Raglan should have equalised from a set-piece yesterday...

9 minutes ago, BradKnowles1 said:

We start every home game the same. We change ends which makes no sense. We kick off lump it into touch, to give them a throwing to attack.

we are a long ball team but not good at it. It’s aimless hoofing, we create very little. 

any team who presses us we panic. 

We also set up with five at the back and two midfielders sitting on their toes, yesterday it was;

Lundstrum-Hobson-Raglan-Hogan-Kitching

Conlon-Sheron

I was sat level with it for much of the first half, first thought particularly without the ball from any of them seven is to retreat in to that defensive 5-2, it leaves Hammond pottering about aimlessly and Garner and Fondop exposed, if it doesn't stick from the hoof we are fucked and even if it does nobody has the desire to flood forward and support, Kitching can't be arsed (unforgivable) and Lundstrum is just poor, add to that Hogan is limited, Raglan hit and miss and Hobson has a mistake in him. We've over compensated for the defenders being average by putting too many men back there, it works away to a degree if we can ride out the first 15 but at home it's soul destroying. 

Fuck knows what the answer is, you can't instill pride and desire in players, they must of been embarrassed walking off yesterday after churning out that tripe, it's so difficult to attract new fans and revenue in to the football club so yesterday was massive in that respect, what a shame the players decided to have a little sulk. Out of yesterdays squad I'd honestly only want to take three or four of them in to next season the rest can fuck off to Ashton United for me.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Which book might that be then, and who wrote it? 🙄

If you are going to make silly remarks about Mellon, it would help if you got your spelling right.

As soon as I posted. I realised I’d have the grammar police pulling me up Worcester. I was that annoyed yesterday   I couldn’t be arsed  editing it  as for a silly remark about Mellon  seems plenty of others  shared that  opinion  yesterday . I am no way in the  Mellon out camp  and still believe he will be the man that gets us promoted.  But yesterday he got it wrong from the off   Lundstrum at RWB  was  hung out to dry  a player totally devoid of any confidence played out of position 

• Like 1

And I hope they are in this morning watching the shitshow for themselves, in fact on the back of every performance like that I'd have them in morning, noon and night.

At the moment the tails wagging the dog and once you have a situation like that it's a slippery slope. 

12 minutes ago, Handsy said:

But yesterday he got it wrong from the off   Lundstrum at RWB  was  hung out to dry  a player totally devoid of any confidence played out of position 

He brought in Sachdev to play rwb - not in the squad yesterday

He has Sutton who can play there - not in the squad yesterday.

If only Lundstram had scored when through on goal…

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

That was at 1-1 wasn't it? I think we'd have gone on to win if that had gone in.

9 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

That's the first shot I've seen him have all season and it's nearly March, if that goes in a bit like Sheron's it's meaningless if they do nothing at all other than give the ball away for 90 minutes, here's another one when was the last time Lundstrum won an aerial duel, he doesn't even make an effort the majority of the time, get Conlon or Hogan to show him how to head a ball if our tactic is to head tennis our way out of the National League.

Strangely the two bits of play Sheron and Lundstrum had a positive impact on yesterday was when they pushed on in support as they should be for the full 90 minutes 

38 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

And I hope they are in this morning watching the shitshow for themselves, in fact on the back of every performance like that I'd have them in morning, noon and night.

At the moment the tails wagging the dog and once you have a situation like that it's a slippery slope. 

Has he brought them in for extra training today I wonder?

Many times I heard MM shout to the players to get forward, but they don't listen or aren't capable of it, maybe both.

He needs to root out these players once and for all.

If I were an opposition manager my instructions would just be to run directly with the ball from  midfield and wide as they will back off and sit deep, then panic and hoof the ball - which will picked up easily by the defenders.

My impression is Latics players can't cope with dribblers and runners, and it's not just at home, remember the Fylde debacle.

MM has got to change to a front foot team or else what we saw yesterday will be like ground hog day.

I saw the game through the eyes of an outsider yesterday, as I took my mate to his first ever game at Boundary Park. I was embarrassed by the performance, I'd warned him beforehand what to expect as we're so terrible at home, but he was still surprised by just how bad we really were. On the plus side though, he thought the ground and atmosphere were fantastic - at the age of 58 he's decided he wants to become an Athletico 😀. Amazingly, he really does want to come again, so if there are more like him who saw the potential yesterday and enjoyed it despite the performance, maybe all is not lost.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

I saw the game through the eyes of an outsider yesterday, as I took my mate to his first ever game at Boundary Park. I was embarrassed by the performance, I'd warned him beforehand what to expect as we're so terrible at home, but he was still surprised by just how bad we really were. On the plus side though, he thought the ground and atmosphere were fantastic - at the age of 58 he's decided he wants to become an Athletico 😀. Amazingly, he really does want to come again, so if there are more like him who saw the potential yesterday and enjoyed it despite the performance, maybe all is not lost.

Because of Frank there's a belief the club will get back into the EFL. That's the main reason there's so much support.

If these performances at home were under AL crowds would be 2,000 and yet another manager sacked.

It's up to MM to repay the faith with better performances than these, If he doesn't even that faith in Frank will eventually dwindle and gates and revenue will take a nosedive.

Over to you MM, change your 7 at the back hoofball philosophy or the club and you will inevitably suffer the wrath of the fans.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Fair play. Shit houses the lot of them. No hope in play offs, if we even make it. 

So back to season being over?

17 hours ago, GKing521 said:

If he had any respect for the club then Mellon should be offering his resignation.

Ha

16 hours ago, daniel said:

Hogan arguing with fans at FT can fuck off as well. They deserved what they got when they walked off that pitch. They get credit when it’s warranted and should be able to take criticism when it’s warranted, and that was certainly warranted today and I don’t think the reaction was OTT. 

Depending what the fans said, maybe they deserved what they got back. People are very quick to forget we've got some absolute whoppers as fans

16 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Here he is Mr Big Bollocks. Bet your buzzing with a shit performance arnt you. Sat at home in your arm chair all smug looking at pictures of AL, MO and Bazza. Remembering the good times. Wanker. 

Nice. What a guy

15 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Past reputations don't equate to current success, the football is turgid and will continue to be so.

Why won't you admit it?

15 hours ago, BP1960 said:

We are lucky to witness diabolical home performances I suppose.

And here is @BP1960, a man who hates anyone disagreeing with him, replying twice to a post by someone who wasn't even in discussion with him, to argue a completely irrelevant point. Yawn

8 hours ago, Londonboy said:

With respect..... we cannot compete with Pompey!!

Ye, but @BP1960 sent an email so the club is a disgrace for not signing a player that has gone to a club divisions about us

35 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Many times I heard MM shout to the players to get forward, but they don't listen or aren't capable of it, maybe both.

He needs to root out these players once and for all.

If I were an opposition manager my instructions would just be to run directly with the ball from  midfield and wide as they will back off and sit deep, then panic and hoof the ball - which will picked up easily by the defenders.

My impression is Latics players can't cope with dribblers and runners, and it's not just at home, remember the Fylde debacle.

MM has got to change to a front foot team or else what we saw yesterday will be like ground hog day.

How does he do that without a complete clear out? Which isn’t possible right now. 

Hes brought in a handful of players (a few that have been injured) but the squad has and still does need open heart surgery. And he knows it. 

It’s something we’re gunna have to suffer with and try get as much out of as we can and see where it gets us. The performances are a byproduct of the problems that can’t be changed overnight. 

• Like 3

Yesterday’s display has been adequately and correctly described. But why are our players so consistently hopeless at home? Yesterday was quite possibly the worst example. We were comfortably out passed, again, and beaten, by a team that has been struggling in the bottom four. Not knowing much about their players I will assume they are generally of none league background, as are the majority of ours players. If Phil Brown is the sole reason for their resurgence, how has he got them to pass and move the ball so efficiently against a top seven side?

Why are our, shall I say, similarly equipped and experienced players managed by a respected known winner at this level so consistently hopeless at Boundary Park? Even against lower league opposition. 
Ever since we began to struggle under the Lemmies I realised how bloody difficult it was for clubs like ours to get  out of the National League. Now, here we are. 
The players available to sign, generally, are players that have stood out at this level. They come here and with few exceptions under perform. The large contingent of vociferous fans are way beyond anything they’ve come across before. 
And then there’s the Ried incident. Most of the players were likely uninvolved with the Christmas Day message incident but still had to endure the rath of the Rochdale Road End. I’m convinced that’s why we are not playing to the Rochdale Road end whe available. 
Maybe just making the playoffs and the possibility of getting to Wembley via away games would be a blessing in disguise. 

• Like 2

Just sobered up enough to read the comments.

All the failures regarding how badly we play seemed to be covered apart that we can't even hoof it properly.

Why are we hoofing it right into the corners? It means one of our players has to win the ball wide to flick it into centre for another player needed to win their battle. We have added an extra layer when hoof ball should be direct, only Latics could do that!!!

I always try and find something positive to cling on to, but no , not this time, I can only add to the comments of woe.

40 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

How does he do that without a complete clear out? Which isn’t possible right now. 

Hes brought in a handful of players (a few that have been injured) but the squad has and still does need open heart surgery. And he knows it. 

It’s something we’re gunna have to suffer with and try get as much out of as we can and see where it gets us. The performances are a byproduct of the problems that can’t be changed overnight. 

He can ask his players to try passing to a blue or tangerine shirt more often, that's a dead easy and free fix.

17 hours ago, daniel said:

Hogan arguing with fans at FT can fuck off as well. They deserved what they got when they walked off that pitch. They get credit when it’s warranted and should be able to take criticism when it’s warranted, and that was certainly warranted today and I don’t think the reaction was OTT. 

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Depending what the fans said, maybe they deserved what they got back. People are very quick to forget we've got some absolute whoppers as fans

I was sat in the MSU and a fan walked down to the front and shouted at the manager as he walked off, "Micky, what sort of football is that?" which I thought was rather polite. The manager kept his head down and didn't respond. The defender coming off the pitch looked up and shouted something to the same fan (didn't hear what but the defender was quite animated) and the fan shouted back, "That was absolute shite in front of all these fans, just bloody awful." The fan then went on to clap Fondop saying something like, "Well done Mikey - at least you had a go."

There was an angry and animated group of fans towards the top right of the stand and I couldn't make out what they were shouting (and doubt the players could have from the pitch).

FWIW I agree with the fan in that only Fondop and Hammond came out with any credit from that. Yet both were substituted. Baffling.

Edited by spanishfly

3 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

If I go to the driving range (novice), 2 out of 50 balls I’ll probably nail. 

The above applies to Nathan Sheron. He pumps it up field so much, the law of averages suggest one will come off eventually. Doesn’t make up for the fact he’s garbage 95% of the time. 

I know I beat the same drum over Sheron, but we have been consistently shit with this lad in midfield. He’s meant to be the battler, he won fucking nothing yesterday. Hand on heart, I would have won more second balls than that lad yesterday. 

I can’t be arsed Light- been done to death. I know you don’t rate him, I do. 
That’s life. 

He’s not the main reason we are woeful at home. 

2 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

That common sense doesn't wash round here 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

For God's sake throw it in.

Well, let's be honest, if he keep spouting the same shite, surely I can point it out?

7 defenders

Not strong enough

Alfie Atherton

What does Brabin do?

Will lose thousands off the attendance

Direct attacking midfielder

Etc etc etc