MATCH: Kidderminster Harriers (H) 24/02/24 - Frank's Homecoming

8 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

You can't just punish players everytime they lose a game. As poor as they were they've lost 2 out of 10 in the league. I'm sure dragging them in would do wonders for morale

I think bringing them in for a meeting to go through Saturday this morning wouldn't have been a bad thing tbh to clear the air and to remind them of the standards required then start a fresh tomorrow.

I'd have hoped and expected no doubt that Mellon let them know how he felt about that performance yesterday and a few bollocking have been dealt out. While he chose to be fairly reserved in his reaction to the defeat on the website privately I think he was fuming. But that stays in the dressing room. That's between him and the players and I don't need to know the details.

We can't dwell on it too much but the players can't complain if they got a rocket after that on Saturday. 

I came away from Saturday’s game feeling thoroughly cheesed-off. I checked the league table and we were still squeaking into the play-offs though.

So, been wondering why I’m so down on Latics, when we’re actually having, what is for us, a really successful season.

I’m an ST holder who’s made almost all of the home games this season (missed 5-1 v Aldershot, obvs) with a smattering of aways and a few TV games.

Just done the maths and I can see the problem: 22 points gained from 19 games watched. Lower mid-table form at best.

Guess I’ve been slightly unlucky, but an uptick in home form would go a long way right now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Having worked for many managers I've seen them bring players in on a Sunday just to make them realise its not such a cushy life.

Maybe you didn’t take note of whether there was a Tuesday game on those occasions. If there was, take it from me that physical training the day after a competitive match without sufficient recovery time (ie match Tues) was counter productive.

11 hours ago, BP1960 said:

A recovery? They never broke sweat.

That is such bollocks mate. Were you in the changing room after?

The performance was poor because they were often half a yard behind the opponent. The statistics on their GPSs won’t be different from other matches where they played well !

40 minutes ago, Pidge said:

That is such bollocks mate. Were you in the changing room after?

The performance was poor because they were often half a yard behind the opponent. The statistics on their GPSs won’t be different from other matches where they played well !

Half a yard behind..so they were tired before the game as well as after?

The club is called Athletic, but the players certainly aren't.

They should have played that match with the passion of an FA cup tie with the backing of a large crowd, so why didn't they?

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

The people I feel sorry for are us the fans and Frank.

The recruitment side has been nothing short if horrific.

Who decided Unsworth would be a good idea ? 

Who signed this plethora of deadwood we have in our squad ?

The fact is people cannot expect this to be turned around quickly,and it will take MM time to root out the garbage.( There is lots of that).

7 minutes ago, ghost of Leonard said:

The people I feel sorry for are us the fans and Frank.

The recruitment side has been nothing short if horrific.

Who decided Unsworth would be a good idea ? 

Who signed this plethora of deadwood we have in our squad ?

The fact is people cannot expect this to be turned around quickly,and it will take MM time to root out the garbage.( There is lots of that).

He’s done a good job of sorting the squad out. 

But I agree, the previous signings since Frank saved the club has been terrible.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think bringing them in for a meeting to go through Saturday this morning wouldn't have been a bad thing tbh to clear the air and to remind them of the standards required then start a fresh tomorrow.

I'd have hoped and expected no doubt that Mellon let them know how he felt about that performance yesterday and a few bollocking have been dealt out. While he chose to be fairly reserved in his reaction to the defeat on the website privately I think he was fuming. But that stays in the dressing room. That's between him and the players and I don't need to know the details.

We can't dwell on it too much but the players can't complain if they got a rocket after that on Saturday. 

They must watch the game at some point and MM must ask the players why they do certain things like why they keep slowing the pace down, pass sideways etc.

He must be telling them to stop doing it.

Under Unsworth they were afraid to make a mistake, but MM has constantly said he keeps telling the players to be brave so why isn't it sinking in? 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Half a yard behind..so they were tired before the game as well as after?

The club is called Athletic, but the players certainly aren't.

They should have played that match with the passion of an FA cup tie with the backing of a large crowd, so why didn't they?

Not have a pop at you BP, but they didn't have the backing of a large crowd.

There was a large crowd in the ground and the atmosphere before the game was good.

However, as usual Latics gave us nothing at all to get excited about, consequently the atmosphere was as flat as it was possible to be.

In fact Kidderminsters 700 fans made more noise than our 11,000, and that was because their team actually gave them something to get excited about. Our lot did nothing to create any kind of atmosphere at all.

Our fans were streaming from the ground even before half time, their fans would have still been roaring their approval of their teams display for as long as they were allowed to stay in the ground.

I only attend Saturday league matches, and I honestly can't remember Latics giving me anything that could get me cheering them on with any kind of passion ( Aldershot maybe ).

Game after game, we are boring and bloody awful to watch.

That game, was the perfect opportunity to win back some long lost fans, and give us a push towards success in the play offs. Instead we were treated to an abject horror performance, that left one and all angry and frustrated. Unless of course, you support Kidderminster. 

• Like 6

On the crowd, just looking at the crowds in the 03/04 season it seems we were around the 5.5/6k mark. After the freebie which we won 6-0, crowds didn't really change. Probably because we finished in the bottom half. So I don't think we've necessarily missed out on a load of new fans with Saturday's debacle.

37 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

On the crowd, just looking at the crowds in the 03/04 season it seems we were around the 5.5/6k mark. After the freebie which we won 6-0, crowds didn't really change. Probably because we finished in the bottom half. So I don't think we've necessarily missed out on a load of new fans with Saturday's debacle.

😂😂😂

27 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

😂😂😂

Probably, but if we don't go up and continue with these turgid tactics the club might lose 1,000 season tickets also many who pay on the day next season.

Will the board be happy with that?

2 hours ago, Only Blue said:

They must watch the game at some point and MM must ask the players why they do certain things like why they keep slowing the pace down, pass sideways etc.

He must be telling them to stop doing it.

Under Unsworth they were afraid to make a mistake, but MM has constantly said he keeps telling the players to be brave so why isn't it sinking in? 

Well if it was as simple as telling someone to do things and they would just do it then this whole Football Manager thing would be a really easy gig.

For all we know he could well have prepared them right said all the right things before the game and told them to start fast get the crowd on side and to do it for Frank but footballs not that simple if it was I'd be making a living in it.

30 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Well if it was as simple as telling someone to do things and they would just do it then this whole Football Manager thing would be a really easy gig.

For all we know he could well have prepared them right said all the right things before the game and told them to start fast get the crowd on side and to do it for Frank but footballs not that simple if it was I'd be making a living in it.

Well if the players can't do as they are instructed he needs to find those who will.  A massive clear out at the end of the season will tell us more.

Could be the largest in our history.

Does anyone know the biggest numbers of players released?

Edited by BP1960

11 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Well if the players can't do as they are instructed he needs to find those who will.  A massive clear out at the end of the season will tell us more.

I’d honestly rather spend a fortune on releasing every single one of them bar Norwood. 

They are not fit to represent our football club. 

Saturday was disgusting and a gross insult to Frank. 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

The majority of the squad are contracted beyond the end of the season so we probably won't see a massive clearout we don't need a massive clear out either if we get in the play offs but miss out then its not going to take a massive jump for us to make the next step and go up. 

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It's very unlikely that I'll see another game this season for one reason or another.  So looks like it I'll go through 23/24 without actually seeing us win.

What, not even the Play Off Final at Wemberlee?