Micky Mellon Sack Watch

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Note to all.

Eyrsey loved David Dunn because he was young and progressive. Rumour has it, he set up the first Oldham Athletic Ritchie Wellens Fan Club- but it was disbanded after relegation. 

His record on knowing a manager and getting the big calls right is unprecedented. 

Incorrect- Wello is my one and only true love.

• Like 1

This is Parkinson’s 4th season in the national league. He’s finished 17th, 14th, 17th and is now in the play offs. At a club that was part time til recently and probably had very little expectation from the fans or the board. 

Would he get that sort of time here? Would he be able to handle the pressure of a big club at this level? It’d be a massive punt. 

13 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Let's have it right, Parkinson would be given 2 months before being told to fuck off back to his pub team with people crying for an experienced manager. Then the cycle will continue. I'm bored of it at this point

Trouble is, his pub team is better than ours 

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

This is Parkinson’s 4th season in the national league. He’s finished 17th, 14th, 17th and is now in the play offs. At a club that was part time til recently and probably had very little expectation from the fans or the board. 

Would he get that sort of time here? Would he be able to handle the pressure of a big club at this level? It’d be a massive punt. 

Good post. 

Mellon said that Lundy has struggled playing for a big club in the division, and he wasn’t alone. I think you’re right and that applies to managers as well. The challenge of big club in a small pond is too big for a lot of them. 

I know wasn’t this division. But the only two managers who I’ve felt didn’t seem fazed or under pressure, and consistently looked to galvanise was Dowie and Johnson, surprise surprise both left for bigger jobs. 

The rest fall into- come in with varying past records - look full promise, then quickly unravel citing- budgets, false promises, what they inherited, defending poor runs. After a while longer they look completely haunted in post match pressers. 

The closet I’ve seen to Dowie or LJ down here is Williamson, I don’t think anyone else touches him. (For up and coming, can handle a big club, doesn’t seem fazed) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Good post. 

Mellon said that Lundy has struggled playing for a big club in the division, and he wasn’t alone. I think you’re right and that applies to managers as well. The challenge of big club in a small pond is too big for a lot of them. 

I know wasn’t this division. But the only two managers who I’ve felt didn’t seem fazed or under pressure, and consistently looked to galvanise was Dowie and Johnson, surprise surprise both left for bigger jobs. 

The rest fall into- come in with varying past records - look full promise, then quickly unravel citing- budgets, false promises, what they inherited, defending poor runs. After a while longer they look completely haunted in post match pressers. 

The closet I’ve seen to Dowie or LJ down here is Williamson, I don’t think anyone else touches him. (For up and coming, can handle a big club, doesn’t seem fazed) 

Only 2 games to go off so too early to tell yet, but there are signs with Lundstram that Mellon was right and they’ve worked with him on those issues and we’re now seeing a better player. 

Hopefully that can be applied to others too. We may not need a massive overhaul to the squad if so. Mellon should have enough behind him to not be fazed by the job. Might just need…. time!

1 minute ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I'm not saying they aren't. He's been given time and patience at Altrincham. He wouldn't get that here

Truth is, no manager who doesn't come up with the goods here and fast, ever will.

Such has the ever lasting patience of the fans been tested

5 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I'm not saying they aren't. He's been given time and patience at Altrincham. He wouldn't get that here

You can’t compare Guy. 

Alty and us have two totally different expectations and rightly so. 

Parky got time, because they were happy to consolidate for a few years. We want promotion asap. 

The better comparison is to say- would Mellon get time if he finished 7th 5th 3rd- and the answer is unequivocally- yes. 

This season he has failed to meet the boards and his own publicly admitted expectations. He needs to rectify that quickly. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Truth is, no manager who doesn't come up with the goods here and fast, ever will.

Yep. So it's pointless going in for someone like Parkinson. It'll never work here.

I understand why people are frustrated with Mellon. But his track record is good, and he deserves a summer to fix it.

7 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm struggling to see how we are better off, after dismissing Unsworth early on his tenure I'd given him the benefit of the doubt this time last year given the post Christmas run, that seemed far more effective than the one we've just had to endure under Mellon. Unsworth only needed 5 or 6 if we are using that logic but he and Mellon have since double and trebled down on players who play the same positions.

What's been put in place to avoid this happening again?, what's the actual plan?, it's all guess work at the minute and on the back of that there is probably and expectation from the club that fans will buy in to the mess.

I didn't like Unsworth one bit, and thought he was completely out of his depth and was really glad when he was sacked..

However in his first season his win rate was about 35%....shit I know.

Mellons so far as about 33%

Whatever anyone says both  Mellons win rate and the teams performances have been no better than Rhinos.

He's been a massive disappointment so far, and started 10 of Unsworths squad on Saturday. 

Progress eh.....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

That's not just here, it's everywhere. Every manager in the modern day who has been given "time" has been given the time because they've gone in and won football matches. Wild was mentioned earlier - people point out he was given 3 years at Halifax. The reason he got 3 years is because he went in and immediately won games of football.

Flip side of that is Noble at Wealdstone. Gone in there, can't buy a win. Sacked. It isn't just an Oldham issue...

Edited by Lee Sinnott
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

That's not just here, it's everywhere. Every manager in the modern day who has been given "time" has been given the time because they've gone in and won football matches. Wild was mentioned earlier - people point out he was given 3 years at Halifax. The reason he got 3 years is because he went in and immediately won games of football.

Flip side of that is Noble at Wealdstone. Gone in there, can't buy a win. Sacked. It isn't just an Oldham issue...

Bang on Paddy. 

We’re not impatient or strange or weird. 

Any club has a level of expectation- meet it and you get more time. 

Don’t and you’re under pressure. 

I’ll never understand give him time without merit. 

You'll never please some folk though, even when we are winning. The football won't be in the exact style they want to see, or the starting line up will include the players they wouldn't pick, or Micky Mellons underpants won't be the right colour...

I know that happens at every club, but I reckon we'd be near the top of the pound for pound rankings 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Mellon did that wouldn’t you say? 11 wins and 4 draws out of his first 20 league games. Then a bad run followed. But it seems for many that bad run of 8 games is enough to get rid. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Mellon did that wouldn’t you say? 11 wins and 4 draws out of his first 20 league games. Then a bad run followed. But it seems for many that bad run of 8 games is enough to get rid. 

New manager bounce maybe but 1 win in 10 and 8 points from 30 at the business end of the season is absolutely dire and we’ve never looked like reversing it either!

I think he’ll survive and will start the new season but the board must be shocked and disappointed at the way the season has capitulated and I’m sure his position will have been debated.

If it continues into next season he will come under mounting pressure no doubt but unfortunately he’ll probably have spent a large chunk of the budget by then!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

Good post. 

LJ is available...

7 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

All I can say is that it's an experience most of us, don't want to live through for much longer.

Fucking hell 😆

Stop talking like your suffering your not suffering people in The Ukraine and Gaza are suffering.

Since when did we all become such whiney little bitches.

6 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Initially, yep - and that's probably the only reason he hasn't been sacked or had the majority turn on him. The managers who get time are able to consistently churn out results...

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Fucking hell 😆

Stop talking like your suffering your not suffering people in The Ukraine and Gaza are suffering.

Since when did we all become such whiney little bitches.

I fully understand your point and the vast difference between real life and an unimportant leisure distraction from it.

I give thanks that I'm not suffering in any way, shape or form compered to many but we're talking everything Oldham Athletic on here and not the real world or events beyond our control.

Truth is, I'm totally pissed off to the back teeth of the inability of very well paid advisor's, countless managers and player's, from just rolling up their sleeves, like the man who's paying for it all did and actually showing what it means to represent our club, restoring some pride instead of the embarrassment they're making of it.

That's all.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

So….should we have stuck with Unsworth then?

I would back any manager that showed incremental progress, but Unsworth was going nowhere.

We are a huge club for this level and expectations are huge too and rightly so!

Mellon, for all his experience and cute CV, IMO, hasn’t improved us one iota.

Even allowing for our obvious deficiencies he should surely by now, be able to get 11 out of this squad of 32 players playing to a decent and consistent standard. Apart from a smattering of youngster’s these players are experienced pro’s who’ve done it before at this level and several in divisions higher up!

Out of the 6 players he signed in January non are regular starters and a couple can’t even make the match day squad!  We didn’t need squad players, we had enough of them, what we needed were players able to go straight in to the side and make a difference, otherwise, what was the actual point!

I really hope he comes good but IMO he’s done nothing to suggest that he will. If we are struggling around Xmas time and not firmly in the playoff places do we just stick with it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I fully understand your point and the vast difference between real life and an unimportant leisure distraction from it.

I give thanks that I'm not suffering in any way, shape or form compered to many but we're talking everything Oldham Athletic on here and not the real world or events beyond our control.

Truth is, I'm totally pissed off to the back teeth of the inability of very well paid advisor's, countless managers and player's, from just rolling up their sleeves, like the man who's paying for it all did and actually showing what it means to represent our club, restoring some pride instead of the embarrassment they're making of it.

That's all.

Look it's the first attempt at trying to get promotion it's not gone well but it's not the end of days. We could be at this level for another couple years the important thing is we learn from it.

Look at Chesterfield the first season down here they were fighting relegation in 2021-22 they finished 7th. 2022-23 they finished 3rd and lost out to a penalty shootout at Wembley (I bet that bloody hurt) But this season they recovered again learned more and won the league at a canter.

I'm sure Frank Rothwell had all manner of failings in his early business career some of them could well have been quite painful but he learned his lessons and built himself a successful business it's the sane process here. All we've done this season is find a way not to get promotion it's an opportunity now to learn from that and come back stronger next year. Trust the process.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Londonboy said:

I didn't like Unsworth one bit, and thought he was completely out of his depth and was really glad when he was sacked..

However in his first season his win rate was about 35%....shit I know.

Mellons so far as about 33%

Whatever anyone says both  Mellons win rate and the teams performances have been no better than Rhinos.

He's been a massive disappointment so far, and started 10 of Unsworths squad on Saturday. 

Progress eh.....

If we're going to quote win % the only one that matters is league wins.

DU in his first season was 35.14% as you say, 13 from 37. By the time he left it was 14 from 46, or 30.43%. 

MM has 11 wins from 28 or 39.29%. Until the current poor run of 8 without a win he was consistently > 50%, which is a high threshold.

He is demonstrably a better manager than DU. I hope he is still up for the challenge - if so, he should be given a summer transfer window and the whole of next season (barring catastrophe, obviously) to show what he can do.

• Like 1