BPAS PODCAST: 26th Feb '24, S4E28: Big Occasion, Big Disappointment

It was all set up for the perfect day, until...

Find all our links ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠!

You can support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/oafcpodcast/subscribe⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠.

If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠

You can also support us by visiting ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Please subscribe to our ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠YouTube channel⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ to watch the Latics Football Phone In live every Wednesday from 8.30pm.

BPAS and Latics Football Phone In are ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠KUPOD⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ productions.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠

Laticsmind music by Matt Berry, produced at King Buzzard Studios in Shaw.

A good listen.  Couple of points:

We need to get up by hook or crook.  Create an identity when the expectation is reasonably achievable of just staying in the league.

With that in mind, we don't want to be getting in the play-offs for the "experience" this season.  We want to win them.

There were signs under Thompson, after the initial bounce, that the players were reverting back to their usual style.  He wouldn't be doing any better than Mellon is now.

Say we could afford to charge £1 entry every week - even then, the crowds wouldn't hold if the performances are like Saturday.  People went on Saturday because it was marketed well and it was a one-off.  Reducing the prices to a tenner say, might bring a negligible increase in gates, but people won't pay anything to watch bad football.  I'd say there's almost no point in reducing prices at the ,moment.  Wait until we've got a product (🤮) to sell.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, JoeP said:

A good listen.  Couple of points:

We need to get up by hook or crook.  Create an identity when the expectation is reasonably achievable of just staying in the league.

With that in mind, we don't want to be getting in the play-offs for the "experience" this season.  We want to win them.

There were signs under Thompson, after the initial bounce, that the players were reverting back to their usual style.  He wouldn't be doing any better than Mellon is now.

Say we could afford to charge £1 entry every week - even then, the crowds wouldn't hold if the performances are like Saturday.  People went on Saturday because it was marketed well and it was a one-off.  Reducing the prices to a tenner say, might bring a negligible increase in gates, but people won't pay anything to watch bad football.  I'd say there's almost no point in reducing prices at the ,moment.  Wait until we've got a product (🤮) to sell.

I often wonder after the board see turgid displays like on Saturday what they discuss among themselves, surely they can't be happy with the fans reaction and the likelihood of many not wanting to return again, meaning valuable lost revenue?

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I often wonder after the board see turgid displays like on Saturday what they discuss among themselves, surely they can't be happy with the fans reaction and the likelihood of many not wanting to return again, meaning valuable lost revenue?

I would imagine they're "mildly disappointed".

Previous boards have tried these cheap offers but at the wrong time, because the football was shite and they were setting themselves up for a fall.  Saturday was pitched perfectly.  Sat in the play-offs after a couple of decent results against a struggling team, after all the hype around Frank.  All the team had to do was turn up.

Edited by JoeP

Talking of Steve Thompson, bumped in to him at the blackpool hospital blood clinic,very friendly and approachable, said he and redfearn were gutted they didn't get the job as were the players apparently, he was very unhappy with the interview and the questions almost being set up to fail and Mellon was announced the next day so seems like it was a done deal regardless of the interview 

45 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I would imagine they're "mildly disappointed".

Previous boards have tried these cheap offers but at the wrong time, because the football was shite and they were setting themselves up for a fall.  Saturday was pitched perfectly.  Sat in the play-offs after a couple of decent results against a struggling team, after all the hype around Frank.  All the team had to do was turn up.

Sounds like they are taking fans for granted due to the splendid Frank.

They should be hauling MM in and telling him that wasn't acceptable as would any companies board if the performances were dire 

9 minutes ago, rossy52 said:

Talking of Steve Thompson, bumped in to him at the blackpool hospital blood clinic,very friendly and approachable, said he and redfearn were gutted they didn't get the job as were the players apparently, he was very unhappy with the interview and the questions almost being set up to fail and Mellon was announced the next day so seems like it was a done deal regardless of the interview 

Having scouted for Steve he was very good and I know he liked the recommendations I made, but DU took the decision to bring in others instead.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

The Latics Mind questions seem too random to me. They are often far too obscure.

Some weeks I get none at all and occasionally I get one right 😃

A lot if pure guesses involved in that batch

• Matt featured this topic
7 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

The Latics Mind questions seem too random to me. They are often far too obscure.

Aye,

Particularly when it’s about a random run of the mill game. 

Who scored a brace away to Grimsby in 1996- literally pick a name and insert, erm-  Wayne Gill?

Oh, it’s wrong. Again. 

The same people who are complaining about the toughness of the questions, are probably the ones complaining about how shit we are at home. If you want to take part I recommend at least 1 month poring over the record books and statistics from the last 129 years. Becomes a doddle and all your friends will be impressed. 

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

The same people who are complaining about the toughness of the questions, are probably the ones complaining about how shit we are at home. If you want to take part I recommend at least 1 month poring over the record books and statistics from the last 129 years. Becomes a doddle and all your friends will be impressed. 

But the questions are tough and we are shit at home 👍

• Like 1

I got 4 this week, which my lowest for a while.

As for the podcast, pretty convinced they've been on a downer about Mellon since before he was appointed - I remember Matt saying "don't give it Micky Mellon. He isn't the future of this football club."

I'm not sure where this free-flowing football they mentioned under Thompson was. In recent weeks, we've played much more football under Mellon (Barnet, Maidenhead, Eastleigh) than we ever did under Thompson...

Thought the attitude towards our chances in the play offs was a bit defeatest. I think it's being looked at just through the lense of being an Oldham fan. Eg how can we possibly win the play offs if we're capable of that performance against Kidderminster?

Form table time... if you look at the 4, 6, 8 and 10 game form tables, only Gateshead from the current play off teams are ahead of us (4,6 and 8). Halifax from the contenders are ahead of us in the 6 match table. None ahead of us in the 10 match table as we're 2nd only to Chesterfield. We will be playing these teams in the play offs and no one is displaying the kind of form that we'd need to be scared of. We have as good a chance as anyone, so other than for self preservation purposes I don't really understand the writing off of our chances of promotion.  It's one thing for a team to come to Boundary Park and play with freedom when there's not a huge amount on the line. But when promotion is at stake, that's not as easy to do.

On ticket prices, I don't think this is something any one club can solve. It would need subsidy from the premier league - ie where all the surplus cash is, not at our level. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 11:34 AM, yarddog73 said:

They get harder week by week for me, last weeks particularly were brutal.

l got 6 about two months ago but haven't gotten more than two in any other week this season. maybe the odd three.

one this week and it was a guess.

20 hours ago, League one forever said:

Aye,

Particularly when it’s about a random run of the mill game. 

Who scored a brace away to Grimsby in 1996- literally pick a name and insert, erm-  Wayne Gill?

Oh, it’s wrong. Again. 

🤣

l suppose it's a case of wishing to avoid repetition.

On 2/27/2024 at 10:28 AM, TheBigDog said:

I upvoted that with sincere thanks - on my one and only appearance I got a big fat zero!!!

• Like 1

• Bender unfeatured this topic