MATCH: Eastleigh (A) 27/02/24

17 hours ago, League one forever said:

Cracking post. 👏🏻

Lots to agree on with Sheron.

A prime example of what you’re describing was Solihul away. In the first half- he sat in front of the back line and looked really limited, he was slow in possession (kept losing it) and couldn’t dictate the play. 

In the second half- it was like watching a completely different player. 
He linked the attacking play, scored two great goals, and looked a player. 

After the game Mellon said- First half we were rubbish.  I told the midfield at halftime to start playing further up and ask their defenders some questions. 

So is it Sheron dropping deep when he shouldn’t, or is it Mellon asking him to sit in? Either way he’s not good enough in possession to receive the ball off the back line and dictate play. But how many games have we seen him play there?? How many fans opinions are formed on him when we’re not getting the best out of him position wise. He plays his best games further up, and has chipped in with goals. I’ve never claimed he’s amazing, and as you rightly say he has his faults. But he also some good attributes and he contributes- guess who has played the most games this season in an ever revolving squad. . Sheron & Kitching. 

On the home form- I’m not burying my head in the sand and saying, ‘ah well we win away so never mind.’ It’s shite. We look a completely different side at home. Even Mellon seems perplexed by it. So if he doesn’t know, then I’ve got no chance understanding why it is.  IF we can sort it, very few sides will live with us. But. If it continues being shite, I won’t let it overly bother me if the away form keeps us where we want to be. 

No manager was going to come in this season after 1 win in 9 and make us a beast home and away. Otherwise that’s like saying- give us champions form inside 6 months. MM has made us playoff contenders in a short space of time, and however it comes this season- if we finish in the playoffs he’s done a good job. 

You and Yarddog have made great points, especially about Sheron you have summed him up perfectly.

When I watched him at Rochdale, being on the side you can see his positional play and he seemed to play just behind the strikers and he had a great game.

1 hour ago, Only Blue said:

You and Yarddog have made great points, especially about Sheron you have summed him up perfectly.

When I watched him at Rochdale, being on the side you can see his positional play and he seemed to play just behind the strikers and he had a great game.

Yeah, another good example of him playing further up. He scored that day as well. 

I think he’s one of them players that evolves over time. They start in one position, but show glimpses in another position, and eventually they gravitate to that. I’d like to see Conlon as our playmaker, with Hammond next to him to do his running with Sheron played as high up as possible. 

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, another good example of him playing further up. He scored that day as well. 

I think he’s one of them players that evolves over time. They start in one position, but show glimpses in another position, and eventually they gravitate to that. I’d like to see Conlon as our playmaker, with Hammond next to him to do his running with Sheron played as high up as possible. 

Tough one that as in his short time here Hammond has looked best when breaking the lines between midfield and attack, or he certainly did on Tuesday. I think he's the best fit for that advanced role 

24 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Tough one that as in his short time here Hammond has looked best when breaking the lines between midfield and attack, or he certainly did on Tuesday. I think he's the best fit for that advanced role 

Yeah, I take your point. 

Who’s your midfield three then, and what role do they have? 

8 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I thought he was poor against York, poor against Kidderminster and the worst of our midfield on Tuesday. Don't think I've seen him in any other matches...

He does bring much needed youthful energy to our midfield and , given time, will prove a useful acquisition. 

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I thought he was poor against York, poor against Kidderminster and the worst of our midfield on Tuesday. Don't think I've seen him in any other matches...

So you think he is consistent? Oh a positive spin here, he was the worst of our midfield.... so if all the midfield played brilliantly, he was the least brilliant!!!

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

I’m in the same boat as you on Hammond. He consistently loses the ball. 

So you would be happier if he quickly gets rid of the ball hoofball style?

We have to many of those don’t we. 

He is young and learning his trade, but he has ability. I would rather he tries things and sometimes looses the ball then he just passes back or boots it.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Think we accounted for Bradford sacking their manager for 3 managers in a row. 2 of which were Stuart McCall.

Also Alan Buckley at Grimsby after Celebration Sunday.

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

I’m in the same boat as you on Hammond. He consistently loses the ball. 

Stats dont back that up

Take his stats vs Eastleigh for example, he had an 86% pass accuracy and 10 losses with only 1 in our own half. 1 cross, 1 ball over the top, 4 mis-controls, 2 passes and 2 1-on-1 duels.

Compared to Sheron with 83% pass, 9 losses 4 in our half and McGahey with 80% (albiet almost double the amount of passes) and 8 losses 1 in our half.

22 minutes ago, Pidge said:

So you would be happier if he quickly gets rid of the ball hoofball style?

We have to many of those don’t we. 

He is young and learning his trade, but he has ability. I would rather he tries things and sometimes looses the ball then he just passes back or boots it.

I think Hammond will be a player for us next season, whatever division we are in.

He makes mistakes which you'd expect from a player his age but he doesn't let it effect him which is credit to the lad, he tries to play it about which is a marked improvement on others we've had in there the last season or two. A good pre season under his belt and he'll be flying.

• Like 2

• Bender unfeatured this topic