MATCH: Eastleigh (A) 27/02/24

32 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

There's an expectation now that players are going to come into the team and immediately hit the ground running, and if they don't then they're shit. It's completely unfair, especially with young players. I used the example of McAlmont above, the first few games for us he wasn't great as he'd never played proper mens football, then I think he ended up scoring double figures. There doesn't seem to be any patience at the club at the moment

Absolutely spot on.

Even if our decent established players have a poor game they are labelled "shit" and shouldn't pull our shirt on again.

It's mind boggling crazy. No player, absolutely no player plays well all the time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Absolutely spot on.

Even if our decent established players have a poor game they are labelled "shit" and shouldn't pull our shirt on again.

It's mind boggling crazy. No player, absolutely no player plays well all the time.

And if these players were in any way consistent, they wouldn't be playing for Oldham in the 5th division. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

There's an expectation now that players are going to come into the team and immediately hit the ground running, and if they don't then they're shit. It's completely unfair, especially with young players

It’s the radio silence when players play well or improve that bugs me.

Sutton- really struggled initially at right back, (not his fault) but massively improved to the point he made Sav look a wasted signing. But still some say he’s shit. 

Fondop - awful apparently- but for the first time has been given proper run and some backing- I think he’s retuned  something like 7 in the last 13. 

Hammond - was labelled shit after one game, but is slowly coming into his own. 

Sheron- plays poorly one week then has a great game the week after - but his good passes are lucky and his goals ignored. Yet continues to be the most consistently picked midfielder at the club. 

• Like 4

Just finished watching the game again.

We should have scored 6.

It would also have been well deserved.

It is the most balanced team performance I have seen all season.

Credit Mcgoo. Played out of his skin(s).

Just now, League one forever said:

Sutton- really struggled initially at right back, (not his fault) but massively improved to the point he made Sav look a wasted signing. But still some say he’s shit. 

Fondop - awful apparently- but for the first time has been given proper run and some backing- I think he’s retuned  something like 7 in the last 13. 

Sheron- plays poorly one week then has a great game the week after - but his good passes are lucky and his goals ignored. Yet continues to be the most consistently picked midfielder at the club. 

I'll hold my hands up and admit I wanted us to offload Fondop earlier in the season, but that was more because I felt he was a liability temperament wise. He really seems to have improved a lot in that sense and knuckled down, and he's been a proper asset the last couple of months. 

Totally agree though, feels like there's a total lack of balance or credit when certain players play well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I'll hold my hands up and admit I wanted us to offload Fondop earlier in the season, but that was more because I felt he was a liability temperament wise. He really seems to have improved a lot in that sense and knuckled down, and he's been a proper asset the last couple of months. 

Totally agree though, feels like there's a total lack of balance or credit when certain players play well. 

There’s also a lack of this sort of thing too. There’s nothing wrong with having opinions and being wrong about them but not many are willing to accept that. They’d rather look for ways they can still be right. 

I felt the same as you about Fondop but likewise have been proved wrong. I also didn’t think Green was up to it but in his last 2 starts he’s had a big impact. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

There’s also a lack of this sort of thing too. There’s nothing wrong with having opinions and being wrong about them but not many are willing to accept that. They’d rather look for ways they can still be right. 

I felt the same as you about Fondop but likewise have been proved wrong. I also didn’t think Green was up to it but in his last 2 starts he’s had a big impact. 

You are both summing up exactly why they are in the fifth division, because they cannot produce this form consistently.

What they are doing though is trying their hardest to improve that and they have improved, that is good enough for me and I assume the silent majority.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Now Conlon is taking stick, obviously a good midfielder who just needs time to get up to speed.

52 minutes ago, Norewgian Gunnar said:

Good to see promoting positive thoughts!!

I cannot see what Dallas has offered in any game where he has come on as a sub.

To be fair he’s not been fully fit, he’s quality…

20 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I think it's probably more of an internet/social media thing tbf, people set their stall out and just refuse to change their opinion. Which I find really odd when it comes to football, surely you want your own clubs players to prove you wrong?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

Geek fact but true, Bill Shankly's brother, Jimmy, played for Southend United. 97 goals in 150 odd appearances wearing the modest but iconic Shrimper badge 🙂

Despite all our off field problems we've just beaten Aldershot 4-1 last Saturday, and Alty 2-1 tonight.

Gauntlet thrown down, roll on Saturday😁

l'm glad youre showing such fight this season under your circumstances.

14 hours ago, League one forever said:

no one is enjoying it

🤷🏻‍♂️

4 hours ago, League one forever said:

Eh- he praised Magehy, he didn’t say anything about it being the best performance for any midfielder all season

eh? lm loving it and teatime literally does say those things he says best CM performance since he has been here and he meant it as a compliment 

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Nothing new from McGahey. He'll play well for two games and revert back to the usual fat shit that he usually is...

hasn't been fat all season

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Can’t be denied that he was a strange signing at the time

it can be denied and it was 🙄

Edited by Monty Burns
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

That ref was a joke. We played well, but there's a strong argument that he was our best player...

Did they have a single corner that didnt result in a freekick to us. Also thought he was off but its nice to have it in our favour for a change

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

That ref was a joke. We played well, but there's a strong argument that he was our best player...

We've had some stinkers.  Maybe these things do even themselves out...

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I think it's probably more of an internet/social media thing tbf, people set their stall out and just refuse to change their opinion. Which I find really odd when it comes to football, surely you want your own clubs players to prove you wrong?

Think some people enjoy moaning more than celebrating. 

Always the same piss boil when we lose and crickets when we win. (It’s ok to moan a bit, but sometimes it really is a bit melodramatic).

Obviously our home performances haven’t been great, but Mellon‘s overall record is. Even if the performances are inconsistent, the results really aren‘t. (I‘m sure we‘ll figure out the home form eventually)

We are on course to finish in the playoffs, we all would‘ve taken that after the start to the season and we should celebrate that!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BerlinBlue said:

Think some people enjoy moaning more than celebrating. 

Always the same piss boil when we lose and crickets when we win. (It’s ok to moan a bit, but sometimes it really is a bit melodramatic).

Obviously our home performances haven’t been great, but Mellon‘s overall record is. Even if the performances are inconsistent, the results really aren‘t. (I‘m sure we‘ll figure out the home form eventually)

We are on course to finish in the playoffs, we all would‘ve taken that after the start to the season and we should celebrate that!

Spot on. 

It’s very perverse. 

It’s like the enjoyment comes from  losing and then venting. (In terms of forum contributions) 

We win- and there’s nothing to vent about, and people go, oh. . . erm. . . 

We dig them out if they’re shit. Let’s talk about them positively when they do well. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Spot on. 

It’s very perverse. 

It’s like the enjoyment comes from  losing and then venting. (In terms of forum contributions) 

We win- and there’s nothing to vent about, and people go, oh. . . erm. . . 

We dig them out if they’re shit. Let’s talk about them positively when they do well. 

It's human nature in all walks of life, message boards etc....

My opinion of Sheron won't change because the issues he has don't just go away, if I tell you why he didn't struggle last night I'd be accused of not giving him credit so a bit like yourself when we lose at home I don't say too much.

Here's the thing with some of the players I personally feel burden us but I'll use Sheron again as an example, some of the qualities he has would put him in at least  League 1 level, not least his character and durability, he's a team player and rarely let's us down in the sense that he will always 'do his best' he can play in a number of positions - probably across the whole back line and midfield. Now the main problem I have is how he's utilised, when he is played as a CDM he kills us at times by turning the ball over, it's a recurring theme in games we play badly in, his strengths for us are further up the pitch, pressing, competing and believe it or not his ability to join in with attack and chip in with the a very decent return in goals and assists, McGahey is similar - very solid in the role we played him last night because he's comfortable on the ball and organises but gets over run for me in defence. Shouldn't be anywhere near a start as a centrehalf unless we are absolutely desperate.

It's not always about the personality and I hope players don't bother to read these forums because after all it is only opinion, opinions differ and we just have to respect that.

Finally I'm happy to be proved wrong with players, good example being Hudson, I'm not that entrenched in my view that I'll continue to call him out, in fact I'd go as far as to say since Christmas he'd be in my top 3 performers but I personally think the high standards he's set himself have slipped over the past couple of weeks, he's now only on 3 clean sheets from 22 games he's played under Mellon which is a poor return, but in there he's won us points and since Christmas put in three man of the match performances. 

Final point honestly, I'm getting round to the idea that these players are inconsistent after all they are non league players and I see that in some of there performances, what narks me more than anything is how flat they are as a group in our home performances, now I know you use the argument that this is balanced out away and as I've pointed out that's a reasonable stand point, it just disappoints me because if we could replicate away days at home we'd be a monster, not just in this division but going forwards the one above as well.

18 hours ago, League one forever said:

Time check. 

It’s roughly 50 minutes since the game ended. A game in which we extended our away record to 9 unbeaten - which must be a record or close to it. . 

. . . aaaand hardly any replies. Hardly anyone coming on saying well done without adding a but. 

If we lost tonight - (for the first time in 9 away games)  we would have had 20/30/40 posts already. 

I can only assume that many are much happier moaning about defeat than being happy with winning. 

I made a point of logging on last night to say delighted, baffled but v happy, even though I didn't watch the game, I want us to win. We are a bi-polar side and I'm baffled why players can't even do the basics in front of a big crowd at a celebration match. Thing is when we win away like that, it will make me go again to the next home game. If it's awful, that's still all I`ve seen and the cycle continues. For me, being entertained does matter, clearly. For others, it doesn't. Why can't people have their own opinions though without  being castigated? Some on here only post to antagonise. We are all Latics fans and it would be nice to respect each other.

Edited by spanishfly
  • Like 1