MATCH: Eastleigh (A) 27/02/24

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It's human nature in all walks of life, message boards etc....

My opinion of Sheron won't change because the issues he has don't just go away, if I tell you why he didn't struggle last night I'd be accused of not giving him credit so a bit like yourself when we lose at home I don't say too much.

Here's the thing with some of the players I personally feel burden us but I'll use Sheron again as an example, some of the qualities he has would put him in at least  League 1 level, not least his character and durability, he's a team player and rarely let's us down in the sense that he will always 'do his best' he can play in a number of positions - probably across the whole back line and midfield. Now the main problem I have is how he's utilised, when he is played as a CDM he kills us at times by turning the ball over, it's a recurring theme in games we play badly in, his strengths for us are further up the pitch, pressing, competing and believe it or not his ability to join in with attack and chip in with the a very decent return in goals and assists, McGahey is similar - very solid in the role we played him last night because he's comfortable on the ball and organises but gets over run for me in defence. Shouldn't be anywhere near a start as a centrehalf unless we are absolutely desperate.

It's not always about the personality and I hope players don't bother to read these forums because after all it is only opinion, opinions differ and we just have to respect that.

Finally I'm happy to be proved wrong with players, good example being Hudson, I'm not that entrenched in my view that I'll continue to call him out, in fact I'd go as far as to say since Christmas he'd be in my top 3 performers but I personally think the high standards he's set himself have slipped over the past couple of weeks, he's now only on 3 clean sheets from 22 games he's played under Mellon which is a poor return, but in there he's won us points and since Christmas put in three man of the match performances. 

Final point honestly, I'm getting round to the idea that these players are inconsistent after all they are non league players and I see that in some of there performances, what narks me more than anything is how flat they are as a group in our home performances, now I know you use the argument that this is balanced out away and as I've pointed out that's a reasonable stand point, it just disappoints me because if we could replicate away days at home we'd be a monster, not just in this division but going forwards the one above as well.

Cracking post. 👏🏻

Lots to agree on with Sheron.

A prime example of what you’re describing was Solihul away. In the first half- he sat in front of the back line and looked really limited, he was slow in possession (kept losing it) and couldn’t dictate the play. 

In the second half- it was like watching a completely different player. 
He linked the attacking play, scored two great goals, and looked a player. 

After the game Mellon said- First half we were rubbish.  I told the midfield at halftime to start playing further up and ask their defenders some questions. 

So is it Sheron dropping deep when he shouldn’t, or is it Mellon asking him to sit in? Either way he’s not good enough in possession to receive the ball off the back line and dictate play. But how many games have we seen him play there?? How many fans opinions are formed on him when we’re not getting the best out of him position wise. He plays his best games further up, and has chipped in with goals. I’ve never claimed he’s amazing, and as you rightly say he has his faults. But he also some good attributes and he contributes- guess who has played the most games this season in an ever revolving squad. . Sheron & Kitching. 

On the home form- I’m not burying my head in the sand and saying, ‘ah well we win away so never mind.’ It’s shite. We look a completely different side at home. Even Mellon seems perplexed by it. So if he doesn’t know, then I’ve got no chance understanding why it is.  IF we can sort it, very few sides will live with us. But. If it continues being shite, I won’t let it overly bother me if the away form keeps us where we want to be. 

No manager was going to come in this season after 1 win in 9 and make us a beast home and away. Otherwise that’s like saying- give us champions form inside 6 months. MM has made us playoff contenders in a short space of time, and however it comes this season- if we finish in the playoffs he’s done a good job. 

Looks like our win got the manager the sack!!!.

We are good at doing that, from memory, the most high profile manager to be booted after we stuffed them was Kevin Keegan (CIteh) Megson (Forest)…👍

18 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

I made a point of logging on last night to say delighted, baffled but v happy, even though I didn't watch the game, I want us to win. We are a bi-polar side and I'm baffled why players can't even do the basics in front of a big crowd at a celebration match. Thing is when we win away like that, it will make me go again to the next home game. If it's awful, that's still all I`ve seen and the cycle continues. For me, being entertained does matter, clearly. For others, it doesn't. Why can't people have their own opinions though without  being castigated? Some on here only post to antagonise. We are all Latics fans and it would be nice to respect each other.

Was a general comment Fly, and not aimed at any individual. Try not to take things personally. None of us know each other, and we’re just talking bollocks most of the time. But if you’re regular on here, it means you like giving an opinion. If you like giving an opinion, expect it to be challenged by other people. It’s the nature of the forum, and without challenge or disagreement it would be a very boring place. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

We are good at doing that, from memory, the most high profile manager to be booted after we stuffed them was Kevin Keegan (CIteh) Megson (Forest)…👍

3 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

And the Sheffield United manager (Ian Porterfield ?) after we won 5-0 at Bramall Lane

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Was a general comment Fly, and not aimed at any individual. Try not to take things personally. None of us know each other, and we’re just talking bollocks most of the time. But if you’re regular on here, it means you like giving an opinion. If you like giving an opinion, expect it to be challenged by other people. It’s the nature of the forum, and without challenge or disagreement it would be a very boring place. 

It wasn't aimed at you leagueone (ain't this just the trouble with boards like this, things get misinterpreted). Your opinions are well put. I already know the snidey ones on here and it's them my castigate and antagonise comments were aimed at 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

We had this home/away issue with Kewell. There were no fans in at all that season (apart from Cambridge away). 

Is it something about the place? 

Slightly Different. 

His results were similar in that he did better away, but we scored plenty at home, only issue being the oppo scored more. 

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

How are you after last night? Do you need me to stop at chemist on the way home? 

You seemed more interested in trying to dig people out than enjoying the win mate, thought you'd have been out celebrating the historic victory and handing out form tables in the town centre.

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

You seemed more interested in trying to dig people out than enjoying the win mate, thought you'd have been out celebrating the historic victory and handing out form tables in the town centre.

😂😂😂

I’m just checking in with our resident young and progressing guru. Hope you’re ok. 

Edited by League one forever

33 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

Did it? It was only his third game in charge and he'd won the last two 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

My opinion of Sheron won't change because the issues he has don't just go away, if I tell you why he didn't struggle last night I'd be accused of not giving him credit so a bit like yourself when we lose at home I don't say too much.

Here's the thing with some of the players I personally feel burden us but I'll use Sheron again as an example, some of the qualities he has would put him in at least  League 1 level, not least his character and durability, he's a team player and rarely let's us down in the sense that he will always 'do his best' he can play in a number of positions - probably across the whole back line and midfield. Now the main problem I have is how he's utilised, when he is played as a CDM he kills us at times by turning the ball over, it's a recurring theme in games we play badly in, his strengths for us are further up the pitch, pressing, competing and believe it or not his ability to join in with attack and chip in with the a very decent return in goals and assists, McGahey is similar - very solid in the role we played him last night because he's comfortable on the ball and organises but gets over run for me in defence. Shouldn't be anywhere near a start as a centrehalf unless we are absolutely desperate.

I find this a really strange post.

You say your opinion won't change on Sheron-no matter how well plays-that is a bit odd and stinks of prejudice.

You then go on using the same player as an example to castigate him for playing in CDM-well that is not for him to decide -it is the manager who decides who plays where, so again hardly McGaheys fault-he plays where he is told.

Surely the object of your criticism should be Mellon for playing players out of position.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Finally I'm happy to be proved wrong with players, good example being Hudson,

Really? The above largely contradicts this. Could have added this gem but thought I would leave it out-then again-sod it.

" I'm not that entrenched in my view that I'll continue to call him out,"

19 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

We are in the playoffs, which is where we need to be. 9 games wasted on Unsworth has made that the best case scenario...

Oh I agree on both counts but I would love for the home performances to be on par with away and I think that may put us into second or third, come the end of the season. We can only wait and see.

1 hour ago, Lukers1 said:

whos manager did we get sacked two seasons on the trot? Bradfords maybe?

2 hours ago, Lukers1 said:

Petty it wasnt Ferguson 1990 

13 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

whos manager did we get sacked two seasons on the trot? Bradfords maybe?

13 hours ago, disjointed said:

Yeah, Stuart McCall. 

Think we accounted for Bradford sacking their manager for 3 managers in a row. 2 of which were Stuart McCall.

• Like 1