MATCH: Eastleigh (A) 27/02/24

The morning after the night before and I’ve just listened to Melon’s post match.

Huge praise for the effort from everyone last night - singles out McGahey and Garner (and the travelling fans) for additional praise. And Norwood should be back on the bench this Saturday. 😃

It was a very measured and battling performance with Latics mixing up the play to good effect.

Thanks to the players for stepping up 👏 now let’s take that into the home games.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I pile in on the midfield, I’ve also given them credit after Maidenhead and Yesterday. The difference is they pressed and Hammond and Sheron played further up the pitch, they also won second balls, McGahey in particular won a fair few second balls. 

Sheron still knocks it up the pitch for no reason. Hammond still not great when on the ball. Both put effort in yesterday, the minimum expectation. 

McGahey was the big difference yesterday for me. 

Nice to see I’m not completely clueless. MM agrees. Stated that the performance from McGahey best he’s seen from a CM since being here. 

Worrying when a CB is your

best central midfielder, but there we go. 

Edited by LightDN123

37 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Nice to see I’m not completely clueless. MM agrees. Stated that the performance from McGahey best he’s seen from a CM since being here. 

Eh- he praised Magehy, he didn’t say anything about it being the best performance for any midfielder all season. Strange that our ‘best’ midfielder isn’t a consistent starter. . 

Sheron -  who you completely won’t have, (which is fine) played again in a winning side. 

42 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Nothing new from McGahey. He'll play well for two games and revert back to the usual fat shit that he usually is...

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I was a bit perplexed at the amount of fans who were dismissive of us signing Garner tbh, gives us some proper aggression up front and he's a classy finisher. Two fantastic finishes last night 

I think the concerns were regarding his age but we can't deny he's stepped up particularly while Norwood has been injured, how Norwood fits back in I'm not sure but as a signing so far Garner definitely has a tick next to his name.

To add to this I think Ollie Hammond whilst not the finished article yet definitely has potential and will get better the more he plays its good to see a midfielder break forward and join the attacks in the way he does.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think the concerns were regarding his age but we can't deny he's stepped up particularly while Norwood has been injured, how Norwood fits back in I'm not sure but as a signing so far Garner definitely has a tick next to his name.

To add to this I think Ollie Hammond whilst not the finished article yet definitely has potential and will get better the more he plays its good to see a midfielder break forward and join the attacks in the way he does.

Yeah there's a bit of the Alfie McAlmont about him isn't there

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Eh- he praised Magehy, he didn’t say anything about it being the best performance for any midfielder all season. Strange that our ‘best’ midfielder isn’t a consistent starter. . 

Sheron -  who you completely won’t have, (which is fine) played again in a winning side. 

I was half asleep was listening to the post match interview this am, but he said something along the lines of it being the best central midfield performance he’s seen since being here. 

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I was a bit perplexed at the amount of fans who were dismissive of us signing Garner tbh, gives us some proper aggression up front and he's a classy finisher. Two fantastic finishes last night 

Can’t be denied that he was a strange signing at the time, Mellon even agrees that fans would think that. 

Bit after he signed, both Nuttall and Kurt departed. Then Norwood and Dallas got injured, and Garner stepped up, thankfully. 

Looking forward to seeing Garner and Norwood up top, though I have concerns about their ages. But, they don’t play like two OAPs to be fair. 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Nothing new from McGahey. He'll play well for two games and revert back to the usual fat shit that he usually is...

Let's just bask in the warm glow of victory for a little while longer and say nice things.

We can start the negativity and personal abuse on Friday in the build up to Saturday. On second thoughts just stay positive and see where it takes you :) It really does make you feel better.

1 minute ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Yeah there's a bit of the Alfie McAlmont about him isn't there

He got abuse from some on here for his cameo debut when I thought he did OK closing opponents down and on Saturday was virtually our only bright light and outlet going forward.

Some people expect the finished article when in truth these youngsters are learning the trade and improvement may only be gradual.

He does bring energy to our midfield which we can all agree is mostly lacking.

Give the lad time and I'm sure he'll prove to be a good signing. 🤞

18 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Once Norwood and Dallas are up to speed we will have the option to rotate the forwards and that could be vital in the last couple of months of the season. 

Fondop and Garner have had to do a lot of the heavy lifting for the last few weeks and it will be good to share the workload. 

Agree about Hammond. A midfielder linking with, or running beyond, the front men unsettles defences. Think he will be a good signing for us as he gains experience and strength.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Aggressively put, but spot on. 

Spot on in the fact that is what has happened in the past. Who is to say it will happen in the future? Give him a break . He has just played very well for us just focus on that. Stop predicting (negatively) the future.

• Like 1

A truly bizarre division , an excellent performance on the back of a woeful one. In addition  Barnet , Solihull , Altrincham and Gateshead ,the other 4 playoff hopefuls who played last night lost.

A beats B  , B beats C , C beats A 

9 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

He got abuse from some on here for his cameo debut when I thought he did OK closing opponents down and on Saturday was virtually our only bright light and outlet going forward.

Some people expect the finished article when in truth these youngsters are learning the trade and improvement may only be gradual.

He does bring energy to our midfield which we can all agree is mostly lacking.

Give the lad time and I'm sure he'll prove to be a good signing. 🤞

There's an expectation now that players are going to come into the team and immediately hit the ground running, and if they don't then they're shit. It's completely unfair, especially with young players. I used the example of McAlmont above, the first few games for us he wasn't great as he'd never played proper mens football, then I think he ended up scoring double figures. There doesn't seem to be any patience at the club at the moment

• Like 2