Genuine question.

Assuming Green is unavailable, how should MM utilise our forward players to get the best outcome?  

Norwood and Garner are our best finishers, but if we played them as a two, we lose the physical

presence of Fondop both in attack and defending set pieces.

Dallas has got to be utilised somehow. I don’t know too much about him. Can be play wide or is he an out and out striker? And given we don’t have an array of wide players, surely Walker has got to be used somehow. I like what I’ve seen so far from Walker. 

It’s too late in the season to start experimenting with formations and I thing we will continue with 3 central

defenders for the run in. We look solid as a unit. 

Sheron and Hammond both start for me. Sheron is the fittest in our squad and Hammond has got bags of youthful energy and they are beginning to dovetail nicely with one holding and the other making late runs. 

In the absence of Green, I would have thought Sutton will

play that wing back role and assuming he continues with Kitching on the other side, it would seem that we can only play two of the aforementioned at any one given time.

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Can he play wing back or would we need to change formation?

I don't see him as a wing back as you want him as an out and out winger, he's quite similar in style to Jack Bridge who played against us yesterday. He can play inside though as he is a good striker of the ball who certainly has an eye for goal 

I'd have a full back behind him and let him loose running at defenders and shooting on sight.

Edited by BP1960

27 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Play Garner, Nowood AND Fondop..

We need width as has been evidenced by our upturn in form since Green was reelected. Walker and Atherton are options but I'm not sure Mellon fancies either at this stage.

Posted (edited)

So as I see it, we have two

options:-

1. Play with width and have our wing backs playing further forward which means Mcgahey or Conlon as a deep lying Midfielder, or

2. playing the 3 up front and sacrificing the deep midfielder

We could switch from one to the other mid game

Edited by meat pie sausage roll

29 minutes ago, meat pie sausage roll said:

So as I see it, we have two

options:-

1. Play with width and have our wing backs playing further forward which means Mcgahey or Conlon as a deep lying Midfielder, or

2. playing the 3 up front and sacrificing the deep midfielder

We could switch from one to the other mid game

I don’t think it’s our forward players as such, it’s more of an issue with the lack of quality in wide areas, which has a knock on effect on a lack service to the front two. 

Green out for a while.

Kitch’s form has dropped off. 

We only have Sutton down the right, and no one who can do the defensive side of left wing back. We’ll just have to muddle through until the end of the season, but the first two signings I would make are competition for Kitch and another right wingback. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

We need width as has been evidenced by our upturn in form since Green was reelected. Walker and Atherton are options but I'm not sure Mellon fancies either at this stage.

22 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

There is NO chance that Melon will start Fondop, Garner AND Norwood 

We need width, but if we ain't got the players and tend to go long anyway...

The Walker signing is turning into a bit of a mystery.

Just play either Sachdev or Sutton wide and trust them I don't want to see us try and play Lundstrum or Hogan out there neither of whom are right sided wing backs. The alternative is to switch formation. Which maybe too much disruption to the team. 

As for the forwards Garner and Norwood to start with Fondop on the bench seems most likely.

6 minutes ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

Dickenson would be a better bet at wingback (on either side) than practically every name mentioned above, and certainly Hogan 🙄

Don't know if you have read what the manager said after yesterday's game, but playing Hogan where he did after Green went off seems like a good move. 

5 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Don't know if you have read what the manager said after yesterday's game, but playing Hogan where he did after Green went off seems like a good move. 

I didn't bud, shall catch up on that - I fully expected him to just bring Sutton on.

Hogan did alright to be fair so fair do's to him and Mellon.

Green is a big loss for the run in 😐

11 minutes ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

I didn't bud, shall catch up on that - I fully expected him to just bring Sutton on.

Hogan did alright to be fair so fair do's to him and Mellon.

Green is a big loss for the run in 😐

I've been critical of Green, but since he came back in the team he has won me over, we need the width he gives us. Once we start getting narrow it just becomes hoof all, hopefully MM has it worked out. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

If Sutton had been on the bench, he may well have brought him on 😉

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

I've been critical of Green, but since he came back in the team he has won me over, we need the width he gives us. Once we start getting narrow it just becomes hoof all, hopefully MM has it worked out. 

Second that. I found he used to shit out of challenges and rarely used his pace effectively, both of which seem to have been rectified. 

Maybe he should have shit out of blocking that cross though 😂

8 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

So why sign Walker?

10 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

So why sign Walker?

My guess would be that at the time he was expecting to move to a 433 or something like that but has since realised 352 is the best way with the squad which means there’s not really room for Walker.