MATCH: Aldershot Town (A) 09/03/24

And that my friends is why I have little enthusiasm for the direction Mellon is taking us.

Mellonball - Rhinoball it's all the same to me, it's shite.

Honestly if the Rothwells would of left Shez in charge we'd be no worse off and a few hundred thousand richer.

Some players absolutely cruising there today, criminal from them and the line up was a joke. 

Progress???

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Dunno what to say really. He brought Nors on and shifted him RW. 

Conlon, what is this guys issue? If his family has got in his head, then fuck him off. Crap. 

What’s this about his family?

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Think it was his second / third game. His family were saying he’s made the wrong decision coming here. 

Right now we’ve made the wrong decision buying him. Along with at least 15 others.

we have never witnessed an attempt to overhaul our team like the one carried out over the last 18 months. And yet McGahey remains in the starting line up regularly. Shocking 

Edited by AndyB2

Out played, out passed and out worked.  Didn't win a battle. They were up for it and it showed.

Team lost all shape and had no composure from about 55 minutes onwards.  Defence and midfield were all over the place, massive gaps.

Don't think anyone comes out of that with any praise other than Hudson as he made a couple of good saves and had the pen covered.

Wasnt a good game of football but Aldershot played it a lot more than us

Need to find the winning formula again and fast.

31 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Come out from your dark hole again I see

Grow up

13 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Am I watching a National League side?

This is Sunday league stuff……absolutely shambolic!!

Cant wait to hear what Mellon says after this debacle.

I’ll say it now and I don’t care about the reaction….despite his promotion record I think we have the wrong manager!

And have we got the first person wanting rhe manager sacked? Well done. In the playoffs and you chat like that 🤣🤣🤣

Gardner is better than McGahey, Sheron and Hammond and I’m not being convinced otherwise. 

I don’t believe Conlon and Lundy are are shit as they are playing for us. 

Give those three a go in the middle, the others treat the ball like a hot potato. Play Garner and Norwood together and get the ball on the floor and knock it around. 

All we do is hoof, it worked, it’s now not, so we need to try something different. 

The right back situation remains an embarrassment, 2 years later… 

5 goals in last 6 games. 

• Like 1

That’s on Mellon today. 

The line up looked very odd to begin with. 

Dallas has done nothing to deserve a start. Literally nothing. 

Our top scorer on the bench then brought on to play on the right. 

We play hoof ball, but leave Mikey on the bench who is only one to win knock downs. 

There doesn’t seem to any pattern of play, there isn’t any idea of what to do in possession. We look like strangers playing in the same kit. It’s very Unsworth esque to be honest. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

That’s on Mellon today. 

The line up looked very odd to begin with. 

Dallas has done nothing to deserve a start. Literally nothing. 

Our top scorer on the bench then brought on to play on the right. 

We play hoof ball, but leave Mikey on the bench who is only one to win knock downs. 

There doesn’t seem to any pattern of play, there isn’t any idea of what to do in possession. We look like strangers playing in the same kit. It’s very Unsworth esque to be honest. 

We just have no plan B. If we can’t hoof it and win the second balls we have no other option. 

Absolutely 0 width. We had 3 centre backs play down the right at various points today. We had a proven goalscorer at right wing. We had a centre back in central midfield. Dallas, whatever he is, played up front and on the left. 

No subs on the bench to change the system at all. We just have a squad of all players being exactly the same. 

The football at home has been dire and now is not the time to replicate it away but it sounds like today was just that. We are still in the play-off places and Tuesday is probably as pivotal as they come. The away from home winning machine must get back on track. I`ll have to get to Halifax to lend them some support. I don't like the football I am seeing but I really do want us to get out of this league as it's truly awful. We need to find a way up this season for me or we could be stuck here a long time because I don't think the support will be maintained next season in non-league and that will have a detrimental effect all round. 

I`ve just realised it's Chesterfield after Halifax. I`d say Halifax is a must win now.

• Like 1

It's all beginning to look very familiar, except for the league position in the playoff zone, not the actual playoffs. Mellon has a huge job to do over the summer to get Latics out of this league next season. Won't be easy.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Fondop's the only one - in any position - that has the right energy.

Should be first on the teamsheet every week.

Think we will be cut adrift by this time next week 

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

We just have no plan B. If we can’t hoof it and win the second balls we have no other option. 

Absolutely 0 width. We had 3 centre backs play down the right at various points today. We had a proven goalscorer at right wing. We had a centre back in central midfield. Dallas, whatever he is, played up front and on the left. 

No subs on the bench to change the system at all. We just have a squad of all players being exactly the same. 

What I can’t understand is- what is Mellon actually telling them? 

Surely he’s not saying - whenever you get it, no matter where you are on the pitch- just smack it aimlessly. And yet that’s what we watch. 

Player analysis is largely redundant when every single one of them can’t pick a pass, or show any composure in possession and just smack it. 

Sides reflect their manager. . . . 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

What I can’t understand is- what is Mellon actually telling them? 

Surely he’s not saying - whenever you get it, no matter where you are on the pitch- just smack it aimlessly. And yet that’s what we watch. 

Player analysis is largely redundant when every single one of them can’t pick a pass, or show any composure in possession and just smack it. 

Sides reflect their manager. . . . 

Same reaction here. I listen to all the BBC radio commentaries, but I'm beginning to dread them. Every time a Latics player gains possession, nine times out of ten the ball is back with the opposition within a couple of seconds.

• Like 1

There are no tacticts other than

1. dont lose

2. Get the ball up top ( but not in a footballing way )

Said it was crap after Tuesday and so did many others, others disagred.

We will not get out of this league with these lack of tacticts or players who can play in midfield and look after the ball.

The way we play is simply not sustainable.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

The football at home has been dire and now is not the time to replicate it away but it sounds like today was just that. We are still in the play-off places and Tuesday is probably as pivotal as they come. The away from home winning machine must get back on track. I`ll have to get to Halifax to lend them some support. I don't like the football I am seeing but I really do want us to get out of this league as it's truly awful. We need to find a way up this season for me or we could be stuck here a long time because I don't think the support will be maintained next season in non-league and that will have a detrimental effect all round. 

I`ve just realised it's Chesterfield after Halifax. I`d say Halifax is a must win now.

Lose both following this result and thats probably the play offs gone, unless another team becomes as woeful as us.

• Like 2

One for those with an encyclopaedic knowledge of other lower league teams/players -  what sort of set-up/players did Mellon have when he got Norwood firing at Tranmere?  I can't imagine this approach is anywhere near it..

Mellon- look with your eyes. 

I am doing Mickey- and to many games are absolutely woeful. 

How is manager with his CV reducing us to - smack it? 

How is a manager with his CV Instilling zero confidence into the players? 

Unsworth- I can understand, first job - out of his depth. 

But Mellon????