MATCH: Aldershot Town (A) 09/03/24

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Can we please talk about Harisson McGahey falling over his own feet / tripping over some mud in absolute slow motion as the ball almost crossed the line. 

Reminded me of my Dad playing football for the Dad team when I was in school. Fucking shocking and sums him up. About as far away from an athlete as you could possibly imagine. 

He has no business in our starting 11..

• Like 1

It was bad, very bad. I said on the first reply to this thread that we're due an away defeat and it duly arrived.

Thought the reaction from some fans at the end of the game was a bit much. They deserved booing off, no doubt, but the angry vitriol directed at the players was a bit OTT for me. 

We always react well to a horror show and haven't lost two in a row all season. It'll be better on Tuesday...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

Wonder if he'll stick Gardner in too.

Team selection will be very interesting.

Gardner is ex Halifax, the ideal game for him.

22 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Lundstram will definitely be chucked back in...

Can't wait..

Got to start Sheron.  Got to start Fondop.  If Gardner's got anything left in his tank, then him.  Hudson and Hobson too.

After that, no strong opinion...

59 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Pathetic turnout for a key game in the playoff chase. The fans have given up on this squad as we know they don’t give a shit about the club or their jobs

I’m sorry but that’s just bollocks. That was a 460 mile round trip and we’ve got another away game at Halifax on Tuesday. The majority of away games are in and around London and the South of England.

Finances are tight and this is the National League after all.

I’ll also bet that every one of those supporters wished that they hadn’t bothered!!

• Like 5

A truly unenjoyable away day. It felt flat in the away end as soon as we entered to be honest, and then of course the football started, which the players provided zero to shout about from minute 1. I honestly can’t take a single positive from that, and not a single player gets any credit. 

Tuesday feels like a massive point in our season now, and another performance like that in front of a big following could seriously turn ugly quickly.  

5 hours ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

Shelton was pants week-in-week-out but I'd sooner see him at wingback than some of the others we've seen there of late. 

Or better still, bin the wingback system since we've only got 1 of any note in the bloated squad.

One of Shelton’s best game for us was at wing back and played there regularly for Hartlepool 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

I’m sorry but that’s just bollocks. That was a 460 mile round trip and we’ve got another away game at Halifax on Tuesday. The majority of away games are in and around London and the South of England.

Finances are tight and this is the National League after all.

I’ll also bet that every one of those supporters wished that they hadn’t bothered!!

He's probably gone overboard a bit, but I don't think he's far off. It wasn't a good turnout. For some reason, the Athleticos don't appear to travel anywhere south of Solihull. We have a few hundred fans already based down south so would have expected us to take over 500 yesterday.

Aldershot fans were really loud, by the way. Was very surprised at them...

32 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He's probably gone overboard a bit, but I don't think he's far off. It wasn't a good turnout. For some reason, the Athleticos don't appear to travel anywhere south of Solihull. We have a few hundred fans already based down south so would have expected us to take over 500 yesterday.

Tbf if we had took that many yesterday to somewhere like Colchester 10 years ago we would have been saying it was decent turnout.  

Weird atmosphere yesterday by our lot.  Fans weren't up for it at all.  I like the old school Aldershot ground though.  The covered away end reminded me of Ninian Park

34 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

I  couldn’t go yesterday but I was at Fylde.

For those who poor souls who witnessed both which was worse?.

Aldershot, in all my 70 years of watching football at all levels I've never seen so much hoofball, even in pub leagues.

I can’t remember seeing a collective performance that full of mistakes. Falling over, mishitting passes, bad control, slicing clearances, floating cross after cross straight to the keeper, strikers making a run the opposite way to where the ball went. It was embarrassing to watch. I don’t think a single player was immune to it. 

A couple of games ago they put together a 17 pass move for the 2nd goal at Eastleigh. 

I think they tried. The effort was there they just simply couldn’t do even the basics when it came to finding space or finding another player. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

How long was at these other clubs to build them up to promotion?

I posted this a while ago. If I remember right he’s only got promotion in his first season once, but he was appointed in May so had the full summer. Every other time has been 2nd season at the earliest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Yeah I had read somewhere that Aldershot make decent noise at home, but I was surprised at how loud they were. Easily the best atmosphere at a ground I’ve been to this season, and i’ve been to most. Fair play to em. 

21 minutes ago, daniel said:

Yeah I had read somewhere that Aldershot make decent noise at home, but I was surprised at how loud they were. Easily the best atmosphere at a ground I’ve been to this season, and i’ve been to most. Fair play to em. 

Some of the best fans in the league tbf, it’s actually great fun being over on that side of the East Bank. They have a real connection with their team and you can see how the players respond. They are are a slightly smaller version of what we should be 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Aldershot, in all my 70 years of watching football at all levels I've never seen so much hoofball, even in pub leagues.

Wow, Fylde was horrific, it must have been dire.

Shez wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but he always used to shout 'pass the ball'. Something I've yet to hear from the present manager and coach.

On reflection in the  end he had a motley crew of players to deal with under the AL regime, but we never saw this low standard style of play.