MATCH: Aldershot Town (A) 09/03/24

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You do know we were eight or nine unbeaten away before yesterday?, those travelling away or based down south have been spoilt this season, away day crowd of 400 given that run and where we are at is disappointing. 

Rolling Eastleigh and Maidenhead still isn't enough to get me reaching for the Pol Roger. 

27 minutes ago, philwhite said:

Must admit I don’t get the love affair with Dorking 🙄 you can spend upwards of £60/£70 to attend a match down there and have a wet dream over a free pint. 

Did you miss last season? It had nothing to do with a free pint that is just as a result of a build up of getting along with their supporters and owner. So when I pick a long distance away I choose this one.

It is just a nice , friendly club to visit and I didn't have a free pint either. Can we not have some friends within the NL?

11 hours ago, O.A.F.C. said:

Tbf if we had took that many yesterday to somewhere like Colchester 10 years ago we would have been saying it was decent turnout.  

Weird atmosphere yesterday by our lot.  Fans weren't up for it at all.  I like the old school Aldershot ground though.  The covered away end reminded me of Ninian Park

Weirdly, you've still not muted me...

9 hours ago, Only Blue said:

Did you miss last season? It had nothing to do with a free pint that is just as a result of a build up of getting along with their supporters and owner. So when I pick a long distance away I choose this one.

It is just a nice , friendly club to visit and I didn't have a free pint either. Can we not have some friends within the NL?

No I was there and I got a free pint.

Just don’t get this love affair with other teams and their fans.

Perhaps one of the reasons we are a pushover at times is we are to friendly with other clubs. What’s happened to rivalry ? 

• Matt unfeatured this topic
6 hours ago, philwhite said:

Perhaps one of the reasons we are a pushover at times is we are to friendly with other clubs. What’s happened to rivalry ? 

Love affair is taking it to the extreme. It might be my age but I really can't build up a rivalry over Dorking and I do prefer getting along with fans rather than the dark days of the 80s and 90s.

Now if they were at the top of the league, were bleating on about wanting more tickets because for once they might have a decent away following and one of your players physically assaulted one of our players with no consequences, then yes am up for a bit of rivalry :)

What other clubs are we friendly to? Also to think that is one of the reasons we are a pushover is really, really stretching it.

When I played football I was always friendly to my rivals before and after, but generally kicked them all over the park during the match. Fans being friendly to each other should and actually doesn't affect how the team is playing.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Watched the match back, how bad was Hogan, shameful for the second goal and gave up at times. Looks like he was sulking to me.

Probably been told he wont be kept on next year .

13 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Watched the match back, how bad was Hogan, shameful for the second goal and gave up at times. Looks like he was sulking to me.

Agree with this.  I thought he was actually playing very well in the first half when in the 3 CB's, don't think he lost a header.  When he was changed to the WB role, especially in the second half it looked as though he downed tools. 

In fairness hes no wing back but there was a moment in second half where he let the ball bounce, didn't even attempt to challenge their number 3 (possibly) at the byline and Conlon (i think) had to rush in and stop the cross, he literally gave up on that situation. 

The other that stands out is when he brought their man down on the LW instead of attempting to try and make a tackle, remembering at the time thinking it was pure laziness and or not trying.  He did seem to run out of energy almost?  Again he is no wing back and eventually moving out to the left certainly didn't help either. 

Maybe a case of being a bit pissed off at moving here there and everywhere position wise?  The left wing back/ winger was roasting him as well.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Honest, the amount of times he's on the floor arguing with officials drives me insane...

11 hours ago, philwhite said:

I actually watch their stuff on Youtube, its a good watch.  Marc White might not be everyone's cup of tea, I think hes quite likable, always puts us over in good light as a club as well as the fans, speaks highly of Frank.   

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 8:04 AM, Lukers1 said:

I  couldn’t go yesterday but I was at Fylde.

For those who poor souls who witnessed both which was worse?.

On 3/10/2024 at 8:40 AM, BP1960 said:

Aldershot, in all my 70 years of watching football at all levels I've never seen so much hoofball, even in pub leagues.

19 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Went to both. Fylde the worst...

Fully agree with @Lee Sinnott surprised anyone else would say otherwise. You could see why Aldershot are in the playoffs but at Fylde you could also see why they were struggling. 

As an aside given that I know what @BP1960 looks like as I sit next to him at home games (when I go) and I didn't see him at Aldershot and I think he said at the Alty home game he didn't go to Fylde...

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

Fully agree with @Lee Sinnott surprised anyone else would say otherwise. You could see why Aldershot are in the playoffs but at Fylde you could also see why they were struggling. 

As an aside given that I know what @BP1960 looks like as I sit next to him at home games (when I go) and I didn't see him at Aldershot and I think he said at the Alty home game he didn't go to Fylde...

I’ve had a pop at @BP1960 myself in the past, but your comment there is puerile. I’m guessing, but it’s possible he streamed both games isn’t it? Did you carefully scrutinise all 400+ of our fans to be able to question whether he was at Aldershot? 
Were you one of those who ratted on kids playing truant at school by any chance?

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

but at Fylde you could also see why they were struggling. 

👀How so?….they played like Barcelona they were anything but struggling….

If you didn’t know they were rock bottom of the league you would have thought they were challenging at the top!

Our manager deserved a kick in the pods after choosing that starting line up. Big game, with a chance of putting daylight between teams very close to us . So the manager leaves our THREE leading scorers on the bench.  😬

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Just seen "highlights" from Saturday and the 1st goal is a yard offside but highlights the advantages of crossing early into the box.

It also shows the advantages of a linesman not being up with play if you're attacking which he did on quite a few occasions, he was right in front of us.

3 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I’ve had a pop at @BP1960 myself in the past, but your comment there is puerile. I’m guessing, but it’s possible he streamed both games isn’t it? Did you carefully scrutinise all 400+ of our fans to be able to question whether he was at Aldershot? 
Were you one of those who ratted on kids playing truant at school by any chance?

Watched both games live on National TV.

Fylde out ran us whereas Aldershot  was worse for me due to the total inability of the players to pass the ball to each other.

He's a good lad Is @rudemedic we have many a good chat during home matches.

I Watch full replays too of other matches and the Curzon Ashton centre back Devon Matthews has impressed me, he looks higher league bound.

Not to us though as we already have enough I think.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Watched both games live on National TV.

Fylde out ran us whereas Aldershot  was worse for me due to the total inability of the players to pass the ball to each other.

He's a good lad Is @rudemedic we have many a good chat during home matches.

I Watch full replays too of other matches and the Curzon Ashton centre back Devon Matthews has impressed me, he looks higher league bound.

Not to us though as we already have enough I think.

And there’s nothing wrong with giving a view on a game that you’ve watched on TV as opposed to being in the ground. In fact I’d say you deserve praise for not reaching for the off switch.

My question to @rudemedic re school was meant to be tongue in cheek so I apologise to him and to you if it came over as a bit stroppy.

9 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

And there’s nothing wrong with giving a view on a game that you’ve watched on TV as opposed to being in the ground.

However…

if you are watching National League TV, then it’s a single camera feed that does not really give a full picture of the movement on the pitch - still valid but not as good as being at the game 👍

• Like 1