MATCH: Aldershot Town (A) 09/03/24

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

One for those with an encyclopaedic knowledge of other lower league teams/players -  what sort of set-up/players did Mellon have when he got Norwood firing at Tranmere?  I can't imagine this approach is anywhere near it..

And Shrewsbury. 

And Flyde. 

This is what I mean Joe. Promotion isn’t won with - smack it. 

Wtf is happening? 

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

One for those with an encyclopaedic knowledge of other lower league teams/players -  what sort of set-up/players did Mellon have when he got Norwood firing at Tranmere?  I can't imagine this approach is anywhere near it..

He had Andy Cook next to him. He’s a big man, but unlikely Mikey, he’s got half a brain. 

That’s it for me today, no chance this spineless bunch of twats is making the playoffs and if they did scrape in you would hardly back them in 3 cup finals.

MM is a horrific football manager, obviously gets teams promoted but my god is it awful to watch. I am not looking forward to next season already.

The team were pathetic today, Mellon was pathetic and the support was pretty dreadful too, we are not a club heading for promotion

43 minutes ago, deckyd said:

Out played, out passed and out worked.  Didn't win a battle. They were up for it and it showed.

Team lost all shape and had no composure from about 55 minutes onwards.  Defence and midfield were all over the place, massive gaps.

Don't think anyone comes out of that with any praise other than Hudson as he made a couple of good saves and had the pen covered.

Wasnt a good game of football but Aldershot played it a lot more than us

Need to find the winning formula again and fast.

I think you summed it up perfectly.

Normally in a team game two or three can play bad and the rest of the team pull them through, but Latics have all 11 playing badly and have done so with most of the disaster defeats.

The result really doesn't show how poor we were. 

Not sure where to start with that.

I don't use this lightly but it was a disgrace from top to bottom, start to finish.

It's hard to apportion the blame across manager and players, but I'll try.

Team selection was odd, but I'm not even sure that matters when you play with tactics like that.

Equally, when players are that inept at basic tasks like not putting a ball into the perfect position for your opponent at every single attempt, it's hard to know where to put the blame.

Personally I think the wins we've secured in recent months are down to little more than poor opposition, grinding it out and a bit of luck. It was never going to be sustainable or progressive to play the way we've been playing and now we're being found out.

I don't particularly care about 'style', if an ugly approach is effective and we're good at it then we should crack on. But here's the issue. We're not good at it, it doesn't work most of the time and we continue to try things that make zero common sense and play into the hands of the opposition. This is where the issue lives, we have nothing else to fall back so where do we go from here when its clear it's not sustainable.

It's incredibly worrying that people involved in professional football can't see that lumping the ball forward repeatedly down a centre halves throat, not winning any first or second balls etc.. needs changing. Even more so when the players just blindly keep doing the same thing and particularly today, just accepting that we weren't going to win the match and some of them (including the captain) completely giving up.

Might sound dramatic, but it's all quite concerning at this stage in the season.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

And Shrewsbury. 

And Flyde. 

Wtf is happening? 

Shrewsbury he had Connor Goldson, Liam Lawrence, James Collins, Ryan Woods, Jordan Clark to call on.

35 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Grow up

And have we got the first person wanting rhe manager sacked? Well done. In the playoffs and you chat like that 🤣🤣🤣

I didn’t say sack him I said I think we’ve got the wrong manager. 

That was a totally embarrassing performance today and it’s not for the 1st time either that we’ve looked like a bloody pub team.

He’s signed 6 players and in my opinion it’s made no difference whatsoever. Only Garner has had a positive effect and two of them were left out of the squad all together.

We may as well have saved the money and persisted with Shelton, Hope, Tollit & Dickenson who are no worse!

How much longer is he prepared to play this one dimensional hoof ball?

We will be expected to set the pace next season and be challenging for the top spot but I’ve seen absolutely no evidence to suggest we have even the nucleus of a side capable of doing that…..

• Like 1

Just now, deyres42 said:

Shrewsbury he had Connor Goldson, Liam Lawrence, James Collins, Ryan Woods, Jordan Clark to call on.

We’ve got some good players as well. 

He’s been very effective elsewhere, and like I said- no promotion is won with just smack it. I know you have never liked him/wanted him, but even you can surely see that’s what he’s done before (even if it’s a style you don’t like) and what he’s producing is miles apart. 

Good sides look fit- we look slow and are constantly blowing. 

Good sides look confident in whatever style they have - we look panicky and really nervous. 

It’s a concern. 

9 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

I don't particularly care about 'style', if an ugly approach is effective and we're good at it then we should crack on. But here's the issue. We're not good at it, it doesn't work most of the time and we continue to try things that make zero common sense and play into the hands of the opposition. This is where the issue lives, we have nothing else to fall back so where do we go from here when its clear it's not sustainable.

This is absolutely bang on. 

He’s clearly had an effective and successful style elsewhere, some might like it other might not. But that’s moot. 

The far far bigger issue is- he’s not producing what he’s supposedly good at it. I had him down as a Phil Parkinson type. Horrible to play against, big strong side that bully teams and are hard to beat by competing. 

But in too many games, we look the complete opposite. Panicked, lost, and the only mindset is- must not lose. For a manager of his calibre it’s nowhere near good enough. 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We’ve got some good players as well. 

He’s been very effective elsewhere, and like I said- no promotion is won with just smack it. I know you have never liked him/wanted him, but even you can surely see that’s what he’s done before (even if it’s a style you don’t like) and what he’s producing is miles apart. 

Good sides look fit- we look slow and are constantly blowing. 

Good sides look confident in whatever style they have - we look panicky and really nervous. 

It’s a concern. 

Only speculating but you'd magine most of those lads would have been obviously above the level, I don't think any of ours are.

He doesn't seem to offer any value tactically or on the training ground so it's hard to see where you go with him other than just keep chucking money at it and hope you land on the right ones.

34 minutes ago, League one forever said:

And Shrewsbury. 

And Flyde. 

Wtf is happening? 

We need to go back to the drawing board with the way recruitment is done.

Are we still persevering with the stats department/head of recruitment?  That needs to be sacked off tomorrow.  Ridiculous strategy at this level and one this manager won't operate well under.

Mellon is actually the last one we should be looking at.  Unsworth was shit, but it's too much of a coincidence that these players have been shit under two managers.

Edited by JoeP

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

We need to go back to the drawing board with the way recruitment is done.

Are we still persevering with the stats department/head of recruitment?  That needs to be sacked off tomorrow.  Ridiculous strategy at this l

level and one this manager won't operate well under.

Mellon is actually the last one we should be looking at.  Unsworth was shit, but it's too much of a coincidence that these players have been shit under two managers.

You can't imagine the stats department came up with Joe Garner.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Midfield three of Lundstram, Shelton and Ward on Tuesday, need to get minutes into them.

Shelton was pants week-in-week-out but I'd sooner see him at wingback than some of the others we've seen there of late. 

Or better still, bin the wingback system since we've only got 1 of any note in the bloated squad.

Convinced Conlan is more interested in trying to look like a footballer than actually being one.

Tries to look fancy with an exaggerated technique, rather than playing the simple ball.

Really odd behaviour 

6 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

Convinced Conlan is more interested in trying to look like a footballer than actually being one.

Tries to look fancy with an exaggerated technique, rather than playing the simple ball.

Really odd behaviour 

😂😂

Yeah, I noticed that. 

13 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

Pretty certain Mellon would have poured his brew over the statsbomb laptop on his first few days.

It might not be his choice as to what the structure is. 

I know they were on about bringing a Head of Recruitment in after Thompson left, but don't know what happened about that...

From the Aldershot fans forum, hard to argue with that, I feckin hate this squad

..Oldham were a disgrace and got everything they deserved. Very little attempt to actually play football, constant feigning injury, taking players out off the ball. God help their fans, watching that crap every week!….”

1 hour ago, LaticMark said:

Just one shot (off target) according to BBC Radio Surrey!

Before the match the strikers of both teams were ‘practicing’. The Aldershot players were all striking the ball as if they meant it, had the majority on target, and the majority of those went in. The Latics lot were half hearted, missed the target on every single shot except one.

One team were up for this and one weren’t.

MM is not the right man for the job, he is spending the Rothwell family fortune and making us worse. Season ticket sales next season are going to be well down I would imagine and overall home and away attendances are already starting to decline.

Its mostly unwatchable and all the positivity is rapidly disappearing 

Today was supposedly a huge playoff game and we took barely 400. It’s pathetic

9 minutes ago, JED said:

Before the match the strikers of both teams were ‘practicing’. The Aldershot players were all striking the ball as if they meant it, had the majority on target, and the majority of those went in. The Latics lot were half hearted, missed the target on every single shot except one.

One team were up for this and one weren’t.

To me, this suggests something is up behind the scenes.

The players have seemingly already downed tools. I'm not even sure that they like each other...

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

What I can’t understand is- what is Mellon actually telling them? 

Surely he’s not saying - whenever you get it, no matter where you are on the pitch- just smack it aimlessly. And yet that’s what we watch. 

Player analysis is largely redundant when every single one of them can’t pick a pass, or show any composure in possession and just smack it. 

Sides reflect their manager. . . . 

Whatever he’s telling them sin’t working - it’s the lack of any energy, basic skills or football intelligence - once again we got the runaround from a team that played much better than us. 
Horror show 😮

• Like 1

You do wonder if the Reid situation has had an effect, people have suggested there is more to it but at face value the punishment doesn't really fit the crime.

If only there was a way to find out what the CEO makes of it...

3 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

MM is not the right man for the job, he is spending the Rothwell family fortune and making us worse. Season ticket sales next season are going to be well down I would imagine and overall home and away attendances are already starting to decline.

Its mostly unwatchable and all the positivity is rapidly disappearing 

Today was supposedly a huge playoff game and we took barely 400. It’s pathetic

Based on the past few games and the likely hike in prices I won't be rushing in to spend my money, I really expected us to kick on this month but it's been quite frankly shocking.

That's a shame for the Rothwells as they do deserve support but something is seriously wrong with the structure at the football club as we appear unable to progress and continue to make a succession of poor business decisions, it's difficult even with the biggest budget in the division to see where we are going.