Shopping List For Next Season

Chesterfield have previously tried to sign Dallas and will be well aware of Norwood's ability. Doubt they would rely solely on what I agree was an indifferent day for them at BP.

Do you not think they could play L2? That was my point.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

How many games did he miss?

Well considering he’s averaged 1 in 2 throughout his career, including playing a significant amount in league 1/2, I am more inclined to judge him over that period. 

But if you want to focus on a couple of months when he’s been injured and we have been shite then crack on. 

• Like 1

Just now, Boyyou said:

Chesterfield have previously tried to sign Dallas and will be well aware of Norwood's ability. Doubt they would rely solely on what I agree was an indifferent day for them at BP.

Dallas played for them in the playoffs last year. 

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Well considering he’s averaged 1 in 2 throughout his career, including playing a significant amount in league 1/2, I am more inclined to judge him over that period. 

But if you want to focus on a couple of months when he’s been injured and we have been shite then crack on. 

Think we won 3 out of 5 in his absence, 0 in 5 since.

Makes you think.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Think we won 3 out of 5 in his absence, 0 in 5 since.

Makes you think.

What about the time we went on a decent winning streak and Norwood was scoring the goals ? 

Or we just pick and choosing again periods to fit our narratives ?

Look at his career, he’s continually bagged 1 in 2, he’s doing that here. Couldn’t give a fuck if he scores using the back of his head. It’s his goal. 

8 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

If he's averaged a goal every two games mainly in L1 & 2 wouldn't you expect that ratio to improve down here?

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

What about the time we went on a decent winning streak and Norwood was scoring the goals ? 

Or we just pick and choosing again periods to fit our narratives ?

Look at his career, he’s continually bagged 1 in 2, he’s doing that here. Couldn’t give a fuck if he scores using the back of his head. It’s his goal. 

I haven't got a narrative, I said, in my opinion of course, that his goal returns and performances have been disappointing relative to the investment made in him.

20 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

I'm not entirely convinced they can play in the National League, let alone L2!

😂

Can't be arsed getting into the Norwood debate again and I don't have the time or inclination to research what players have been like elsewhere, but Dallas hasn't even scored yet!  And Chesterfield aside he hasn't exactly shined particularly brightly... 

Edited by JoeP

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I haven't got a narrative, I said, in my opinion of course, that his goal returns and performances have been disappointing relative to the investment made in him.

How can you honestly type that a 1 in 2 striker is a poor goal return ? It just doesn’t make sense. Do you expect him to score every game ? 

Just now, LightDN123 said:

How can you honestly type that a 1 in 2 striker is a poor goal return ? It just doesn’t make sense. Do you expect him to score every game ? 

If he is so much better than the level as plenty suggest than I'd have hoping for around 2 in 3 as a minimum.

35 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He hasn't scored from open play this calendar year, one can only imagine the amount of stick Nuttall would be receiving in the same instance.

Is that the Joe Nuttall who has scored about 3 goals for us. 

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If he is so much better than the level as plenty suggest than I'd have hoping for around 2 in 3 as a minimum.

But we hardly create chances for him. If he was missing chances each game I would understand. But he literally gets about half a chance each game. 

The midfield the problem need wingers and middle men like wellens and sheridan were or duxbury plus a right back , the kid from youth getting rave reviews should of started by now if your good enough your old enough .

43 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

If he's averaged a goal every two games mainly in L1 & 2 wouldn't you expect that ratio to improve down here?

Not if he got a better quality of service in the higher leagues, which I suspect he did. We can all speculate about player-targets the club needs, getting them to sign is another thing altogether. Some of the deadwood will still be here next season.

30 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

But we hardly create chances for him. If he was missing chances each game I would understand. But he literally gets about half a chance each game. 

Fair enough I guess. But the style isn't going to radically change so is it worth looking at a different type of forward and using the wages to strengthen elsewhere?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Fair enough I guess. But the style isn't going to radically change so is it worth looking at a different type of forward and using the wages to strengthen elsewhere?

That is a possible argument, but then again Norwood has scored goals and won promotion with Mellon before so there's no reason why they shouldn't be capable of recreating that.

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

That is a possible argument, but then again Norwood has scored goals and won promotion with Mellon before so there's no reason why they shouldn't be capable of recreating that.

Think we have to bear in mind that that was five years ago now, would be unfair to expect him to be the same player.

10 hours ago, Londonboy said:

For me it's simple....more width and pace is what we need. 

Agree midfield seems weak but when we have had some width/pace in the side we have actually looked OK, and I'm sure that they would be much more effective with more options out wide to pass too. When Green and Stones played for example these were arguably some of our better performances.

Midfield looks shit because of our lack of any real outlet apart from the long ball down the middle. Conlon, Lundy and even Sheron are capable I think in this league given options.

A right back yes defo, and I'd actually look for a decent left wing back also as Kitch seems lost at the moment.

I don't have FMS's knowledge of other teams players but what he seems to be saying with the type of player we need I 100% agree with. 

Yes definitely wide areas and creativity are the issues in our team. We need a magic man someone who can male things happen in the final third. We have Devran Green who can do it a little bit but not consistently. So I would say 2 wide players who have the courage to get on the ball and try things. I think if you did that you will see more from Tom Conlon who is the one midfielder that we have who has abit of quality on the ball but he needs runners or players who will show for him in good positions particularly in wide positions which will allow him to spread the ball. So 2 wide players preferably with abit of pace and trickery who can create chances.

We still need a first choice right back it's a mystery why in the 2 seasons of the National League but we haven't. It's quite possible a decent right back can not only add to is defensively but can also be a creative force with over lapping runs and good crosses. 

For our strikers we have Norwood Garner on the payroll next season I believe Fondops Contract is up but I'd keep him on. So we'd need to find another who can complement them. All 3 are the wrong side of 30 so I'd be looking for a younger player with pace who can run the channels. On paper Andrew Dallas ticks these boxes (he's also scored 20 goals at NL level in the last 2 years) but for some reason it hasn't worked for him here it's abit of mystery why he hasn't got going. If we are to make a move for him then we'd have to find a way to get more out of him.

Apart from that I'm pretty happy with the centre of defence Left back and goal keeper. The centre midfield while has been a concern but I don't think it's as bigger problem as the wise areas. As said earlier Conlon has ability on the ball he just needs runners and players who can get into space. Hammond has potential and Sheron who divides opinion sometimes is very much a team player who we know we are always going to get 100% effort from. If we sign creative players and tell him to just go win the ball and give it the ball to them he will be perfectly fine. He does need those players around him.

The final thing is that all the players we sign need to be tough mentally. You don't have to be a physically big player to be tough mentally but we need players who can deal with the expectation of challenging for promotion of being expected to win regularly particularly at Boundary Park as while we can hugely supportive can at times feel intimidating for some of our players, they need to be able to deal with the moans and groans if things don't go right. This will be difficult for creative players who we need to take risks and try things but it needs to happen if we are to go up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

No it isn't.

Norwood is not the problem. 

He has scored nearly a third of all our goals this season, which I suggest is as good a strike rate for a player, as in any team in the top 5 divisions.

As a team we simply don't create enough chances and so we dont score enough goals.

Only Halifax have scored fewer goals than us in the top 14 which is criminal with our so called "fab 4" strikers, plus Reid who can't get a game.

Without Norwood we really would be fucked.

7 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

No it isn't.

Norwood is not the problem. 

He has scored nearly a third of all our goals this season, which I suggest is as good a strike rate for a player, as in any team in the top 5 divisions.

As a team we simply don't create enough chances and so we dont score enough goals.

Only Halifax have scored fewer goals than us in the top 14 which is criminal with our so called "fab 4" strikers, plus Reid who can't get a game.

Without Norwood we really would be fucked.

His best days are behind him and we aren't going to create the chances he apparently needs under Mellon so I think it would be worth putting his wages to an alternative use.