MATCH: Altrincham (A) 01/04/24

54 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Was going to say I've not heard a peep from the away end on tv it sounds flat it's hard to blame them.

Their is no way the manager is telling them to play like that they have to take responsibility. Someone show us something a forward run a few tackles a shot. christ someone smash Chris Conn Clarke and get a booking he's making you look like a bunch of twats.

The best way to make Conn -Clarke shit is to sign him 

• Like 1

Missing out on the playoffs I can take. Missing out by, most likely, 6+ points having looked like we would progress to finish 4th at the end of Feb represents a total disaster. 

that is worrying. It says a lot about the character of this team. They will be damaged. It’s hard to see this team  coming back from this.

God that McGahey chance. Just had to pass it into the half of the goal that was empty. Instead he just blasts it across goal into a crowd of players. 

• Like 4

Cue the melts on here praising the team for improved performances over the last five games of the season and pointing to that being ‘playoff form’ after heroically just missing out having been 6 points adrift at the start of April.

Next four games are the opportunity for everyone involved to show that they can make a positive impact for next season.  I'd put much more faith in Mellon than the current crop of players, but he now has to prove that he can do something different to build back some faith.

I've disagreed with BP1960 about blooding the kids in the playoff push, but now is the time to give the best of them to show that they can improve the way we play.

There are players in the squad who show the attitude I see as a winning one.  For example, I like that Norwood is furious with the players who aren't up to it and they are right to be told it.  But no one should be exempt and all of them in the last four games need to show that they are worthy of a place at the club next season.

• Like 1

There can be no excuses. The season has been an abject failure.

those with any influence over on the

pitch matters at the club should be ashamed.

I’d like to hear from Darren Royle. He is answerable. 

5 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Next four games are the opportunity for everyone involved to show that they can make a positive impact for next season.  I'd put much more faith in Mellon than the current crop of players, but he now has to prove that he can do something different to build back some faith.

I've disagreed with BP1960 about blooding the kids in the playoff push, but now is the time to give the best of them to show that they can improve the way we play.

There are players in the squad who show the attitude I see as a winning one.  For example, I like that Norwood is furious with the players who aren't up to it and they are right to be told it.  But no one should be exempt and all of them in the last four games need to show that they are worthy of a place at the club next season.

Are you for real? What can we take from the last four games (which will be essentially friendlies). Are you seriously suggesting this team can finish the season with some dignity? 

My word this is some perspective

am sick of Oldham fans taking positives from meaningless matches. Chesterfield was the peak. 

like England fans jizzing themselves over a convincing qualifying campaign. Good teams perform when it matters. This team has just failed spectacularly in that sense.

Edited by AndyB2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Because we have a manager who does the following. 

Drops players inexplicably after a good game. 

Picks players who aren’t in form because they are ‘leaders’ 

Massively over rotates and doesn’t let partnership’s build. 

Is more concerned with not conceding than first rather than scoring the first goal. 

Plays players needlessly out of position when he has others who can play the position naturally. 

Wont play any youth players to bring some energy or zip. 

The players need take some responsibility- no question. But ultimately you can’t sack 25 players. . 

The manager has shown over the last ten games that he simply doesn’t have what’s needed to get the team to play - sure the players are to blame but I genuinely believe that Mellon is more to blame for the way we are ending the season 😮

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

Much better second half and should’ve scored and I think probably a draw would have been a fair result..

Are you reading the script for Mellon's post-match presser?

20 minutes ago, League one forever said:

How utterly and predictably depressing. 

Think we all need a few months doing something else. 

100%. The fans need a break from watching these players. The players who are staying probably need a break from the fans. It’ll do everyone the world of good. Improve the squad over the summer and let’s all come back on a sunny August day full of optimism. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

There can be no excuses. The season has been an abject failure.

those with any influence over on the

pitch matters at the club should be ashamed.

I’d like to hear from Darren Royle. He is answerable. 

To be fair I’m not sure what else he could have done, he brought Mellon in with one of the best reputations, brought the players in both managers wanted . New pitch . Conditions stable within the club. It’s the players as a group for me. 

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

100%. The fans need a break from watching these players. The players who are staying probably need a break from the fans. It’ll do everyone the world of good. Improve the squad over the summer and let’s all come back on a sunny August day full of optimism. 

I need a break from it all, and I only follow the games on a laptop in my spare room at home.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

So dismal from start to finish. 

It's like he's picking his team and the formation from a tombola every week. Shifting from 5 at the back to 3; players like Hope and Sutton in from nowhere; players out of position. 4-3-3 without genuine width and pace is utterly fucking pointless. 

In-game, putting Norwood wide left for 15 minutes. Why? He's never played there in his career. He's certainly not going to succeed at 34 in this shit bag team. 

Frankly Norwood was fortunate not to be subbed off. He obviously doesn't want to be here. We plainly can't play to his strengths by getting him the ball in the box. May as well move him on and get a big stump like Dieseruvwe and boot it at his head for 90 minutes. 

The fullbacks have no quality going forward, the keeper and centre halves can't pass a ball, and the three centre midfielders are cowards who won't put a foot in, presumably because they are all crocks. 

Mellon won't go, but he should be on very thin ice for next season. His signings have been garbage - 2/6 playing today. He got unlucky with Stones' injury, but he would have gone back anyway. Looking like being a second successive rubbish, expensive managerial mistake for the Rothwells/Darren Royle. 

Good post Josh. 

Your first two paragraphs in particular are spot on. 

Mellons decisions have become more and more inexplicable.