MATCH: Rochdale (H) 06/04/24

Sheron kills us with his inability to string a pass together, it's worked playing him further up the pitch pressing which has also seen him chip in with some good goals, he's not the problem but part of the problem in games where we can't control the football. Our midfield and particularly wide areas is weak and I honestly think it needs a complete overhaul, Sheron included.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

he's not the problem but part of the problem in games where we can't control the football. Our midfield and particularly wide areas is weak and I honestly think it needs a complete overhaul, Sheron included.

That’s a lot more fair. 

Possibly an unpopular opinion but Sheron, for me, gets a bit of a pass from some as we're pretty shit overall.

Reminds me of Garnett, Thom and Reid in the sense he's a 100%er but the benchmark is really low.

2 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

Possibly an unpopular opinion but Sheron, for me, gets a bit of a pass from some as we're pretty shit overall.

Reminds me of Garnett, Thom and Reid in the sense he's a 100%er but the benchmark is really low.

I think you’re spot on. 

In the Pantheon of footballers - is Sheron class? No. 

Do you need better - yes. 

In this team over the last two years has he been the best of bad bunch- definitely. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

Without his goals. 

as in with him in the team, we would be 12th if he hadn’t scored as many goals. 

yes I accept that. 

but we are 9th, not 4th partly because he is in the team.

I don’t expect you to understand that but have a go chap. 

I understand what you are trying to say. But we were 4th only a month or so ago. With Sheron regularly playing in midfield (and taking into account Unsworth’s awful start)

We all know that, even with the squad imbalance, play off’s were extremely achieveable. Our form since February has been horrendous. That’s a collective problem, not just on Sheron.

I agree that an upgrade would benefit our starting eleven. But an Oldham team containing Sheron in midfield next season should be very much capable of earning a top 7 finish.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

They are all technically better than him by a mile. Gardner and Conlon played higher. McGahey is more trusted as the CDM. Lundstram is better than him. 

They are all technically better than Sheron and can pass the ball better than him (McGahey possibly being the only exception as I really don't rate him other than being a stopper in defensive midfield).  And yet they've all been worse than him this season in my eyes.  Not to say that Sheron is a world beater by any means but more that the list of players above has significantly underperformed on a regular basis.  Hopefully Lundstram's assist is more of what we'll see from him next season instead of what he's shown so far.

Can I also add on a technical level that Sheron is a really good tackler?  I'm not just saying that because he puts himself about, but he regularly times risky tackles well when he's pressing that breaks up opposition play.  It is needed in the centre of midfield as well as good passing ability and unfortunately this is shown when the other midfielder is Tom Conlan, who clearly has the ball control that Sheron doesn't but is frustratingly lightweight and often gets pushed off the ball far too easily for a central midfielder.

Like last year, if the manager and anyone responsible for recruitment can't find players who can perform better than Sheron on a regular basis they'll probably pay for it with their jobs just like Unsworth (and rightly so).  But I can't dislike Sheron because, unlike our other midfielders, he at least does the minimum that's expected whenever he's on the pitch compared to pretty much every other midfielder this season who regularly fall way below those levels.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

They are all technically better than Sheron and can pass the ball better than him (McGahey possibly being the only exception as I really don't rate him other than being a stopper in defensive midfield).  And yet they've all been worse than him this season in my eyes.  Not to say that Sheron is a world beater by any means but more that the list of players above has significantly underperformed on a regular basis.  Hopefully Lundstram's assist is more of what we'll see from him next season instead of what he's shown so far.

Can I also add on a technical level that Sheron is a really good tackler?  I'm not just saying that because he puts himself about, but he regularly times risky tackles well when he's pressing that breaks up opposition play.  It is needed in the centre of midfield as well as good passing ability and unfortunately this is shown when the other midfielder is Tom Conlan, who clearly has the ball control that Sheron doesn't but is frustratingly lightweight and often gets pushed off the ball far too easily for a central midfielder.

Like last year, if the manager and anyone responsible for recruitment can't find players who can perform better than Sheron on a regular basis they'll probably pay for it with their jobs just like Unsworth (and rightly so).  But I can't dislike Sheron because, unlike our other midfielders, he at least does the minimum that's expected whenever he's on the pitch compared to pretty much every other midfielder this season who regularly fall way below those levels.

This sums it up for me, it is possible to admire him but have reservations about some parts of his game and that's where I'm at.

He stands out for me because his weakness kills us but on the flip side he's the strongest runner, fiercest tackler and is as game as they come but in that area of the pitch I'd rather be looking after the football than looking for it. 

He can play almost any position on the pitch in a defensive role so on that basis you'd keep him but if he's playing centrally in midfield he needs ballers around him who he can do the donkey work for.

There's better out there though, we need a Matty Palmer or Alfie McCalmont type who we can play through and that for me has to be the priority as well as wide men to complement Green and I'm talking about players like Kanu and Sinclair at Dale, solid consistent wide men are a must in NL and you probably need 3 or 4 in the squad.

Defensive frailties are obvious and you could argue the defence needs a complete overhaul, by my reckoning we probably need eight new players to push on up.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

This sums it up for me, it is possible to admire him but have reservations about some parts of his game and that's where I'm at.

He stands out for me because his weakness kills us but on the flip side he's the strongest runner, fiercest tackler and is as game as they come but in that area of the pitch I'd rather be looking after the football than looking for it. 

He can play almost any position on the pitch in a defensive role so on that basis you'd keep him but if he's playing centrally in midfield he needs ballers around him who he can do the donkey work for.

There's better out there though, we need a Matty Palmer or Alfie McCalmont type who we can play through and that for me has to be the priority as well as wide men to complement Green and I'm talking about players like Kanu and Sinclair at Dale, solid consistent wide men are a must in NL and you probably need 3 or 4 in the squad.

Defensive frailties are obvious and you could argue the defence needs a complete overhaul, by my reckoning we probably need eight new players to push on up.

At last you've mentioned the real problem.....

Don't care who you have in midfield if you have no width you have no options. 

Get some pace out wide and 2 decent overlapping full backs and Sheron will do just fine winning the ball and/or moving it on to a Conlon or Lundy or passing a simple ball out wide himself.

Our only decent option out wide is Green.

Fact is we've won 2 out of our last 12......Green started in both these games.

We've not won in 8 which corresponds with Green getting injured against Southend and not playing since..

It's not rocket science where the bigger problem lies and why we have fucked up was a good position after winning at Eastleigh....no width or pace and we are too narrow and predictable.

• Like 4

Have to say, it was great to have a larger away following in the ground yesterday and some real atmosphere (until the game, and both teams’ seasons, petered out). It felt like a Football League game in the run-up to kick-off.

Not heard of any bother too which is good, the scoreline may have helped with that. There was a small pro-Palestinian/boycott Isreal demonstration outside the old club shop and I overheard in the ground that they were given some shit before the game. I’d be surprised if they had been given permission from the club to set-up there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Of course he is. Make that make sense

Wow. I mean, wow. You do know that scoring a few goals and being a liability are not mutually exclusive don’t you. 

3 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

His ability to tackle is irrelevant when it’s a result of correcting his own mistakes. Same goes for his running about and pressing. He will be replaced and fans will quickly see what I and others see. He’s an absolute liability. He can’t be trusted with the ball and kills any of our momentum. 

Cannot wait for the day he’s replaced. 

6 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

I understand what you are trying to say. But we were 4th only a month or so ago. With Sheron regularly playing in midfield (and taking into account Unsworth’s awful start)

We all know that, even with the squad imbalance, play off’s were extremely achieveable. Our form since February has been horrendous. That’s a collective problem, not just on Sheron.

I agree that an upgrade would benefit our starting eleven. But an Oldham team containing Sheron in midfield next season should be very much capable of earning a top 7 finish.

I agree it ain’t just sheron. An Oldham team with me in it can get in the playoffs if we have the players around me to carry me. 

point is that Sheron is currently our Mike Milligan. The guy we rely on to run the midfield and be at the heart of everything. That goes a long way to explaining why we are near as damn it midtable as far as I am concerned. Granted the players around him have not risen to the occasion. 

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

His ability to tackle is irrelevant when it’s a result of correcting his own mistakes. Same goes for his running about and pressing. He will be replaced and fans will quickly see what I and others see. He’s an absolute liability. He can’t be trusted with the ball and kills any of our momentum. 

Cannot wait for the day he’s replaced. 

But he scored 6 goals. He scored 6 goals. I mean why won’t you acknowledge that he scored 6 goals. 

7 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

But he scored 6 goals. He scored 6 goals. I mean why won’t you acknowledge that he scored 6 goals. 

😂😂 Dickinson managed 5. He can’t even get in the squad at Hartlepool. 

Sheron hasn’t scored a penalty so they all count ! 

Im sure he will be chuffed with players player award again for his running ability and commitment to clapping his hands and pointing. 

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

At last you've mentioned the real problem.....

Don't care who you have in midfield if you have no width you have no options. 

Get some pace out wide and 2 decent overlapping full backs and Sheron will do just fine winning the ball and/or moving it on to a Conlon or Lundy or passing a simple ball out wide himself.

Our only decent option out wide is Green.

Fact is we've won 2 out of our last 12......Green started in both these games.

We've not won in 8 which corresponds with Green getting injured against Southend and not playing since..

It's not rocket science where the bigger problem lies and why we have fucked up was a good position after winning at Eastleigh....no width or pace and we are too narrow and predictable.

Which begs the question, why hasn't Atherton figured when available ?

29 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

😂😂 Dickinson managed 5. He can’t even get in the squad at Hartlepool. 

Sheron hasn’t scored a penalty so they all count ! 

Im sure he will be chuffed with players player award again for his running ability and commitment to clapping his hands and pointing. 

If Sheron had taken and scored all the penalties taken by Norwood how many goals would each have scored this season?

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

If Sheron had taken and scored all the penalties taken by Norwood how many goals would each have scored this season?

Penalties aren’t open goals. Sheron wouldn’t have scored them all.