The Chaddy is the Home End

Bought a season tickets for this and last season, but only been to 2 or 3 games.  Each time it feels weird Latics coming out of the tunnel on the Rochdale Road side.  Also the bench on that side just feels wrong.  I assume the team use what was once the away changing room.

The vibes, the Karma or whatever is all wrong.  Why not change it all back to how it was.  I am not saying switch the home fans to the Chaddy, after all Latics  fans are on 3 sides of the ground.

We have had god knows how many different players playing all sorts of number systems, different managers and new owners.  Maybe we should try something a bit left of field, anything to bring some consistent wins at home.

Whatever is done I will buy ST again for next season to support Frank.

• Like 3

I've thought this for many years, and have expressed my views on this forum quite recently to that effect, and was generally ridiculed, it must be said (none of it taken personally, by the way). Yes, I think the ground is configured back to front, and that the current deserted state of the Chaddy End gives a semi-derelict appearance to the ground, which may well transmit itself to the players without them even fully realising it perhaps. One recent poster commented that the players look as if they don't want to be there, and I know I'd feel the same in their place.

224 home league defeats since Royle departed as manager in 1994 btw, just sayin'.....

An average of around 9 home defeats per season not only guarantees regular relegation every few years (exactly what's happened), but will in due course bring about extinction for the club.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

I've thought this for many years, and have expressed my views on this forum quite recently to that effect, and was generally ridiculed, it must be said (none of it taken personally, by the way). Yes, I think the ground is configured back to front, and that the current deserted state of the Chaddy End gives a semi-derelict appearance to the ground, which may well transmit itself to the players without them even fully realising it perhaps. One recent poster commented that the players look as if they don't want to be there, and I know I'd feel the same in their place.

224 home league defeats since Royle departed as manager in 1994 btw, just sayin'.....

An average of around 9 home defeats per season not only guarantees regular relegation every few years (exactly what's happened), but will in due course bring about extinction for the club.

Absolutely correct ofcourse 

Maybe we got too used to being a 3 sided ground that we didn't even notice 

7 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

So the semi derelict appearance of our ground they don't want to be at. But they'll go perform at some leisure centre car park and want to be there and play?

8 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

And the solution? I don't really understand what you mean when you say the ground is configured back to front. I get the nostalgia re the Chaddy End but nobody rational would choose to be in there rather than the RRE. Football, of course, isn't always rational.

I stood and sat in the chaddy end for many years, but for me the RRE is the dominant stand now and has to be for the home supporters, unless that is they decide to rebuild the chaddy end . 

28 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Things change, get used to it. To suggest an empty chaddy end contributes to our woeful home form is  desperate. 

Not bothered about the home fans going back to the Chaddy end, it is about the changing room, bench and walking out Chaddy side of the tunnel for me.  

And yes things are desperate.

I don't think an empty stand contributes to negatively impact on the players. Once they are playing they should not even notice the stands. Also there tends to be 6,000 plus in the other three to make it feel cosy :)

Lots of clubs especially lower league ones have empty stands and Oxford United play towards a car park!!! Wrexham had a pile of rubble for one end as well for most of their last season in NL.

Also if it did you could counter balance it with the new Joe Royle Stand that has adequate numbers in there, so get the players to look at that.

Not a single member of the playing and coaching staff will know any different regarding changing rooms etc.

I agree though about trying to find reasons for why we are so bad at home. I have give up trying though and conclude we are cursed, simple as that.

It used to be the home end it's not anymore.

As for the benches being on the Chaddy End side that's a definite no even if we were to move back to the Chaddy. Because the linesman on the main stand side runs down the RRE side of the ground. If you moved the dug outs you would be giving the away team the advantage as they could get in the linesman/referees assistants ear just to keep happy a few old timers.

The only time we should change it is if crowds go up to a level when their is sufficient demand for home fans in the Chaddy and you could either split the chaddy half and half for home and away fans or give the away fans the small section of the RRE. But until then leave it as it is.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

Something that did frustrate me though is am I right Rochdale were only restricted to selling the top "tier" of the chaddy yesterday. I'd actually quite like to see it relatively full. We turned down the chance to sell another 2000 tickets to Chesterfield a couple of weeks ago. I know their maybe reasons to mot give them a huge amount of fans but we turned down between what 30-40 grand of income on that one game alone and it would have enhanced the atmosphere significantly. 

7 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Something that did frustrate me though is am I right Rochdale were only restricted to selling the top "tier" of the chaddy yesterday. I'd actually quite like to see it relatively full. We turned down the chance to sell another 2000 tickets to Chesterfield a couple of weeks ago. I know their maybe reasons to mot give them a huge amount of fans but we turned down between what 30-40 grand of income on that one game alone and it would have enhanced the atmosphere significantly. 

Any extra income would have been offset by fans going on the pitch. It would also have given Chesterfield a lift when we needed wins. 

2 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

If they bring back Fish n Chip crisps with a wagon wheel chaser, I'm balls deep into this outrageous crackpot idea!

Could also bring back Lt Pigeon and 'Mouldy Old Dough' over the public address system.

Hang on.....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Rochdale were restricted to 1700 tickets and managed to sell 1689 of them by friday dinner when they went off sale .what makes you think they would of filled the rest of the stand  if available ? 

6 hours ago, peanuts2 said:

Rochdale were restricted to 1700 tickets and managed to sell 1689 of them by friday dinner when they went off sale .what makes you think they would of filled the rest of the stand  if available ? 

Well if they didn't sell their allocation, I assume it would have been 1689.

The Chaddy End was a wonderful place to be ......but only in the standing era. The atmosphere and noise that was created in those times was  the best, all seater stadiums ended this. As a experience in the seated world , the Rochdale Road end is a a great stand .

1 hour ago, stargazer said:

The Chaddy End was a wonderful place to be ......but only in the standing era. The atmosphere and noise that was created in those times was  the best, all seater stadiums ended this. As a experience in the seated world , the Rochdale Road end is a a great stand .

What happened to the proposal to bring back terracing again, particularly at lower level?

Being in non league could we actually do it?

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

What happened to the proposal to bring back terracing again, particularly at lower level?

Being in non league could we actually do it?

Iirc once a stand has been built or converted to seating that cannot be reversed although rail seats can be retrofitted (safe standing) .

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

Who has done that?

There are lots of clubs who are transitioning back to safe standing, which you can often see watching match highlights, with the barriers they use etc. I’d say it’s not common at our level or in the lower leagues of EFL though, as presumably it’s rather expensive.