Let the inquest begin.

8 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

Have you voted? ⬇️

At the moment 66% of OWTB members (who expressed a preference) think Micky Mellon should stay as manager.

🗳️ 

Most voted Tory in the last general elected.

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Most voted Tory in the last general elected.

No they didn’t. 43% of votes went to the tories but they won a massive landslide thanks to our wonderful voting system. 

I’m not sure how pleased Mellon would be being compared to them either 😂

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

Have you voted? ⬇️

At the moment 66% of OWTB members (who expressed a preference) think Micky Mellon should stay as manager.

🗳️ 

Considering the run we went on at the end of the season that's a pretty high approval rating overall.

Their does seem overall a lot less appetite for sacking the manager. So while knowone is happy with the way the season finished I think we are more fed up of rinse and repeat.

I know some have said that the only reason we shouldn't sack Mellon because of his prior track record I think overall its a compelling one. I do believe him when he says he knows what good looks like.

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Considering the run we went on at the end of the season that's a pretty high approval rating overall.

Their does seem overall a lot less appetite for sacking the manager. So while knowone is happy with the way the season finished I think we are more fed up of rinse and repeat.

I know some have said that the only reason we shouldn't sack Mellon because of his prior track record I think overall its a compelling one. I do believe him when he says he knows what good looks like.

Knowing what good looks like is hardly a pre requisite for success ……We all know what good looks like FFS!!😂😂

Edited by oafc1955

10 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Knowing what good looks like is hardly a pre requisite for success ……We all know what good looks like FFS!!😂😂

No but 5 promotions as a manager does

When was the last time we saw a promotion winning team? Atleast half of our fanbase hasn't seen one so I'm not sure we do truly know what one looks like.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

No but 5 promotions as a manager does

When was the last time we saw a promotion winning team? Atleast half of our fanbase hasn't seen one so I'm not sure we do truly know what one looks like.

It’s like saying you know what good food is because you eat at Michelin starred restaurants. You don’t know how to choose the ingredients or how to cook it!

Mellon has a track record of delivering promotion when given time and resource. That’s why I’m very comfortable with him being kept on. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It’s like saying you know what good food is because you eat at Michelin starred restaurants. You don’t know how to choose the ingredients or how to cook it!

Mellon has a track record of delivering promotion when given time and resource. That’s why I’m very comfortable with him being kept on. 

I wouldn't say we've been eating at Michelin star restaurant more a greasy spoon with a 1 out of 5 hygiene rating.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I wouldn't say we've been eating at Michelin star restaurant more a greasy spoon with a 1 out of 5 hygiene rating.

😂

13 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

I suggest maybe we didn’t understand what Mellon meant. 

There are several players pretending to try to play their best. The difference between 95% and 100% effort, is subtle. Not reacting instantly to a loose ball, not putting maximum effort to accelerate, means being half a stride slower getting to the ball and the opponent has it.

Maybe that message about “knowing what good looks like” was actually for those players who were not playing their best. 

Certainly the rest of us could also see they were playing badly, and not trying, so the comment often repeated by MM seems on the face of it, redundant.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 5:43 PM, GlossopLatic said:

Was thinking the same thing. Pretty compelling endorsement for MM this.

I'm reassured - because I agree - by the fact that Oldham fans generally aren't behaving like over reacting babies.

• Like 3

On 4/21/2024 at 9:36 AM, scamp04 said:

Chesterfield fan in peace

Having done a 6 year stretch at this level it took us so long to get the formula right.

The good news is that once you get it right, getting out of this league is completely rejuvenating for your club. It's an amazing feeling to finally get out of the most difficult league in the country!

Wealdstone fan here. 

Agree with everything that the Chesterfield fan has said. This league is brutal. The bigger ex Football League sides like yourself understandably hate being in this division. Totally get it. We once had to drop into level 5 of the non league pyramid. We're talking average crowds of 100. We thought we'd walk it but lo and behold every one man and his dog team raised their game against us. The following season our manager focused on stronger characters than gifted individuals and we won the league. 

This is exactly what happens in the NL. The plucky non league clubs like ourselves are absolutely desperate to stay here. Playing big ex league teams like yourselves is always going to be a motivator. You also have established and well funded non league clubs such as Solihull and Bromley going for the football league. They tend to be big, physical and organised sides who can grind out results against the genuine big boys.

We've played you four times and have won two and drawn two. Something doesn't add up when a team of part timers can get those results against a professional club. What I saw in Oldham Athletic was a team of excellent individuals but little in the way genuine cohesion or team spirit. As was alluded to above you need to build a team with the right mindset. One that will go toe to toe with those teams just desperate to stay in the NL. 

When a team goes down on 52 points as Borehamwood did, that shows you how much competition there is just to stay here. 

See you next season.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, BradKnowles1 said:

I thought Atherton was a winger. Says in the times he’s been playing as a striker 

I've seen him several times, he can play as an out and out winger, wide in an attacking three or through the middle in a one or two. You'd describe him as a striker and certainly not a midfielder. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I've seen him several times, he can play as an out and out winger, wide in an attacking three or through the middle in a one or two. You'd describe him as a striker and certainly not a midfielder. 

He's been tried as a striker recently, which won't do him any harm, in the last match he was switched after not having much success (although he did score a goal) to the left wing where he was more prominent.

My observations are his best position will be on the right wing.

I noticed though he may need to curb his temper and not get involved in situations resulting on bookings.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

He's been tried as a striker recently, which won't do him any harm, in the last match he was switched after not having much success (although he did score a goal) to the left wing where he was more prominent.

I noticed though he may need to curb his temper and not get involved in situations resulting on bookings.

I like the edge to his game, he'll probably have to wind it in a bit when he steps up but at least he plays with aggression.

I'm staggered he wasn't given a run out in the dead rubber against Wealdstone, he is around the matchday squads now so hopefully it won't be long before he's introduced, physically he's developed the last 12 months and looks ready in my opinion for the step up now.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

@BP1960 for director of football 

All those in favour say aye :sign0173:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I like the edge to his game, he'll probably have to wind it in a bit when he steps up but at least he plays with aggression.

I'm staggered he wasn't given a run out in the dead rubber against Wealdstone, he is around the matchday squads now so hopefully it won't be long before he's introduced, physically he's developed the last 12 months and looks ready in my opinion for the step up now.

Alfie (number 7) played again today, scored the 1st and the 2nd goal from a lad I've not seen before was a cracker.

https://x.com/OAFCAcademy/status/1785627469367636210