Let the inquest begin.

8 minutes ago, scamp04 said:

Chesterfield fan in peace

Having done a 6 year stretch at this level it took us so long to get the formula right.

You remind me a lot of us in those first couple of seasons down here, we had Martin Allen in the first year and we just kept drawing games (I think 8 or 9 in a row at one point)

It's so difficult for a relegated side to get the  momentum back and one thing you definitely need is a positive manager. All of our players say how enthusiastic and positive Cook is and he's really lifted the fans since he came back.

Cook said when he came back constantly referred to our squad being too big, having 35 players at that point this season we've pretty much got through with a 23 man squad. I think I recognise that a little bit with you guys having a big squad this season. Trimming off the fat and getting quality in each area was key. We had a competitive budget this season but it was only the 3rd biggest in the league. (We only had two forwards all season don't forget 😂)

This season I've also noticed is there doesn't seem to be any big egos anymore in the side. Cook has said this is the best set of personalities he's ever managed. When we first dropped to this level I can remember us signing players who were looking for one last pay day and thats never good. You need a mix of experience but still with the desire to do well (Grigg/Naylor/Jones) and the young upcoming (Dobra/Berry/Hobson)

The other thing you've got to do is get yourself out of the mindset that we should be beating (Altrincham/Bromley/Solihull) because of your clubs former football league history. We had a period of time where we showed a lack of respect for these sort of sides as players as well as fans. We regularly got frustrated to the point, that the players froze in home games and we relied on our away form to not drop out the league into the Conference North. Cook and Danny Webb prepare for every game as a tough one and that no one will be a push over.

The leagues also improved massively in terms of the brand of football whilst we've been down here and nowadays teams are more likely to get out of here playing good football. The other thing is that you'll get out this league by attacking we have conceded more than Kidderminster but have already scored 100 goals.

Prior to Cook coming in we were top of the league under James Rowe but the entire team was built around the goals of one player Kabongo Tshimanga who scored over 50 percent of the teams goals but, he then broke his leg and we had a terrible second half of the season. Cooks re-dressed that balance and most of the midfield have got 15-20 goal contributions (goals and assists) each this season. You've signed Norwood but, the balance seems to be wrong elsewhere.

You need pace as well, as some teams will be difficult to break down. Last season we kept the ball well but struggled to break teams down. We signed Colclough last season and Berry this season who are quick and we've used this to our advantage by rotating the front four to bring on quick players to run at tired legs late on.

The good news is that once you get it right, getting out of this league is completely rejuvenating for your club. It's an amazing feeling to finally get out of the most difficult league in the country!

Nailed it pal. Your post should be printed out, framed and put up in every corner of the ground. Good luck in the EFL.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Good post - doesn't make us feel any better at the moment though! (Can't see Mellon becoming positive any time soon).

The only thing I can say as consolation is we initially nearly sunk lower after scraping a 1-1 draw at Dover to stay up on something like 0.02 points per game in our first few seasons down here. 

We had very unpopular owners when we first came down here and it took us 4 seasons after getting our new owners to sort out the whole club, at one point we had a 38 man squad which was bonkers because you pretty much guarantee 20 odd players unhappy 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, scamp04 said:

Having done a 6 year stretch at this level it took us so long to get the formula right.

You remind me a lot of us in those first couple of seasons down here, we had Martin Allen in the first year and we just kept drawing games (I think 8 or 9 in a row at one point)

It's so difficult for a relegated side to get the  momentum back and one thing you definitely need is a positive manager. All of our players say how enthusiastic and positive Cook is and he's really lifted the fans since he came back.

Cook said when he came back constantly referred to our squad being too big, having 35 players at that point this season we've pretty much got through with a 23 man squad. I think I recognise that a little bit with you guys having a big squad this season. Trimming off the fat and getting quality in each area was key. We had a competitive budget this season but it was only the 3rd biggest in the league. (We only had two forwards all season don't forget 😂)

This season I've also noticed is there doesn't seem to be any big egos anymore in the side. Cook has said this is the best set of personalities he's ever managed. When we first dropped to this level I can remember us signing players who were looking for one last pay day and thats never good. You need a mix of experience but still with the desire to do well (Grigg/Naylor/Jones) and the young upcoming (Dobra/Berry/Hobson)

The other thing you've got to do is get yourself out of the mindset that we should be beating (Altrincham/Bromley/Solihull) because of your clubs former football league history. We had a period of time where we showed a lack of respect for these sort of sides as players as well as fans. We regularly got frustrated to the point, that the players froze in home games and we relied on our away form to not drop out the league into the Conference North. Cook and Danny Webb prepare for every game as a tough one and that no one will be a push over.

The leagues also improved massively in terms of the brand of football whilst we've been down here and nowadays teams are more likely to get out of here playing good football. The other thing is that you'll get out this league by attacking we have conceded more than Kidderminster but have already scored 100 goals.

Prior to Cook coming in we were top of the league under James Rowe but the entire team was built around the goals of one player Kabongo Tshimanga who scored over 50 percent of the teams goals but, he then broke his leg and we had a terrible second half of the season. Cooks re-dressed that balance and most of the midfield have got 15-20 goal contributions (goals and assists) each this season. You've signed Norwood but, the balance seems to be wrong elsewhere.

You need pace as well, as some teams will be difficult to break down. Last season we kept the ball well but struggled to break teams down. We signed Colclough last season and Berry this season who are quick and we've used this to our advantage by rotating the front four to bring on quick players to run at tired legs late on.

The good news is that once you get it right, getting out of this league is completely rejuvenating for your club. It's an amazing feeling to finally get out of the most difficult league in the country!

Great post , saved me doing the research into other former league clubs  fortunes but we definitely aren’t unique being in this position at the moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scamp04 said:

Everything right in this post 

18 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

I was Told today that Norwood & Conlon won’t be here next season.

18 hours ago, spanishfly said:

Yes I heard similar a few weeks back and posted same on here. It can only be back him or sack him after what's come out of the woodwork.

As they are both in-contract, would be get (at least half decent) transfer fees?

40 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

As they are both in-contract, would be get (at least half decent) transfer fees?

I think we'll be glad just to offload their wages but they should get a nominal fee for Norwood. We might need to pay someone to take Conlon off us though 😂.

14 minutes ago, mick26 said:

I think we'll be glad just to offload their wages but they should get a nominal fee for Norwood. We might need to pay someone to take Conlon off us though 😂.

Doubt we would get fees for either.

Think they are decent players but in the wrong team at the wrong time.

Scamp04 in the above post makes some great observations.

Chesterfield had already recruited the basis of a good, balanced squad and narrowly missed out in the play-offs. They added Grigg and Naylor and Berry  as the final pieces of the jigsaw.

For Grigg and Naylor read Norwood and Conlon. Added to an already established squad they would be viewed differently.

Chesterfield didn't recruit 5 cente backs and no full backs, they already had a midfield with goal potential which could pass to each other and had one good goalscoring winger (Colclough)  so added a second in Berry, giving them pace and width. We signed willing runners.

We simply didn't address the basics before putting cherries on the top.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Chesterfield had already recruited the basis of a good, balanced squad and narrowly missed out in the play-offs. They added Grigg and Naylor and Berry  as the final pieces of the jigsaw.

For Grigg and Naylor read Norwood and Conlon. Added to an already established squad they would be viewed differently.

Chesterfield didn't recruit 5 cente backs and no full backs, they already had a midfield with goal potential which could pass to each other and had one good goalscoring winger (Colclough)  so added a second in Berry, giving them pace and width. We signed willing runners.

Think Norwood would be the cherry on the top but we've got a lemon with Conlon. (Which tbf is a fitness/injury problem).

20 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

I was Told today that Norwood & Conlon won’t be here next season.

🤞

There was two simple passes yesterday that Conlon made a complete hash of.

7 hours ago, Boyyou said:

When Cook left us for the first time in 2015 we had a couple of terrible appointments and transfer windows which sent us into a downward spiral. Not a single manager last a full season and until Cook returned and every manager we had in between wanted to sign players but had to do it within budget constraints, so, we constantly bought rubbish which meant the team kept losing and we sacked the manager and started the same spiral again and again!

Cook came back and at each end of season we released more than we signed. Often we'd trade 2 players who were steady for one top quality player and over the last few seasons we've done that culminating in Grigg, Naylor Jacobs and Berry this year as mentioned.

I just think you need to refine the squad season by season and it might take 2 or 3 seasons to get there as long as you are seeing a year on year improvement like we did.

As a side note I really thought Andrew Dallas would do well for you, he looked a decent player for us. Not sure why that one doesn't appear to have worked out

23 minutes ago, scamp04 said:

When Cook left us for the first time in 2015 we had a couple of terrible appointments and transfer windows which sent us into a downward spiral. Not a single manager last a full season and until Cook returned and every manager we had in between wanted to sign players but had to do it within budget constraints, so, we constantly bought rubbish which meant the team kept losing and we sacked the manager and started the same spiral again and again!

Cook came back and at each end of season we released more than we signed. Often we'd trade 2 players who were steady for one top quality player and over the last few seasons we've done that culminating in Grigg, Naylor Jacobs and Berry this year as mentioned.

I just think you need to refine the squad season by season and it might take 2 or 3 seasons to get there as long as you are seeing a year on year improvement like we did.

As a side note I really thought Andrew Dallas would do well for you, he looked a decent player for us. Not sure why that one doesn't appear to have worked out

Dallas got better with each game and joined us at a bad time really when the rest were jacking it in.

We need to do exactly the same thing really and in key positions so it will be interesting to see how this seasons transfer business goes, we should of been going in for the likes of Colclough as I think wingers at this level can win you games but we had this obsession with harvesting strikers. We played Fondop and Reid throughout pre season and it looked quite promising but we've seen little of it as we've also used Nuttall, Willoughby, Norwood, Dallas, Garner, Stones which is frightening really given we signed six of them permanently for God knows how much money.

19 hours ago, LaticMark said:

Hi Mark,  my "I heard similar..." comment was in regard to having been told a couple of weeks back that the board were going to back MM and a clearout had been sanctioned in the summer "by hook or by crook". I`ve heard nothing in particular regarding Norwood and Conlon but I think it's quite clear neither wants to be here in any event. 

Edited by spanishfly
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, spanishfly said:

Hi Mark,  my "I heard similar..." comment was in regard to having been told a couple of weeks back that the board were going to back MM and a clearout had been sanctioned in the summer "by hook or by crook". I`ve heard nothing in particular regarding Norwood and Conlon but I think it's quite clear neither wants to be here in any event. 

Im sure someone said on here that they were sat near Conlon’s family at a game, (not long after he signed) and they were bemoaning the move and said he’d picked the wrong club. 

Edited by League one forever
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Im sure someone said on here that they were sat near Conlon’s family at a game, (not long after he signed) and they were bemoaning the move and said he’d picked the wrong club. 

Yes it was either Brad or Paddy, they will probably confirm. 

12 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Dallas got better with each game and joined us at a bad time really when the rest were jacking it in.

We need to do exactly the same thing really and in key positions so it will be interesting to see how this seasons transfer business goes, we should of been going in for the likes of Colclough as I think wingers at this level can win you games but we had this obsession with harvesting strikers. We played Fondop and Reid throughout pre season and it looked quite promising but we've seen little of it as we've also used Nuttall, Willoughby, Norwood, Dallas, Garner, Stones which is frightening really given we signed six of them permanently for God knows how much money.

Probably half our budget!!

order of blame lmho

the lemsegams

TTA

bazza

Unsworth

the players as a collective

Big Joe

refereeing

the fans

thompson

redfearn

eyres (the agent not the poster)

the FA

the prem

the NL

various minutae

luck

other stuff

• Like 2

I'm actually optimistic about next season, with about 8 players  (including loanees) brought in who are young and determined there's no reason they can't do much better than the half hearted failures who will leave.

This providing the manager let's them off the leash to attack rather than defend.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I'm actually optimistic about next season, with about 8 players  (including loanees) brought in who are young and determined there's no reason they can't do much better than the half hearted failures who will leave.

This providing the manager let's them off the leash to attack rather than defend.

Me too.

It's puzzling why Atherton wasn't brought into the squad, when available, to fill Green's boots unless Mellon was trying to prove a point ( a bit like Shez did naming 3 subs a couple of years ago !).

26 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Me too.

It's puzzling why Atherton wasn't brought into the squad, when available, to fill Green's boots unless Mellon was trying to prove a point ( a bit like Shez did naming 3 subs a couple of years ago !).

I'm thinking they might have a deal to a big club lined up for Atherton and don't want him injured. Or perhaps his agent has?

Just a hunch based on no information.

Edited by Dickie Down
Syntax

7 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

I'm thinking they might have a deal to a big club lined up for Atherton and don't want him injured. Or perhaps his agent has?

Just a hunch based no information.

3 Premiership clubs interested to my knowledge. 

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Providing he brings in the right quality mind!

What I would say is that it might well have been a good idea to have played the same eleven in more than 2 consecutive games.

Surely a little continuity could have brought about an improvement in our general play?

The continual swapping and changing of players and their positions on an almost game by game basis was bloody ridiculous!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Isn't the consensus though that MM doesn't like/trust younger players BP? People have often said he goes for older, experienced heads first and foremost.

I`m in your camp, though. We definitely need some energy, pace and excitement adding to the squad. Oh, and some quality wouldn't go amiss.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

order of blame lmho

6) Big Joe

Interesting that you put Big Joe relatively high at number 6. It has been intimated to me that Joe has far more influence within the club than people might realise.