BPAS PODCAST: 22nd Apr '24, S4E35: The Squad Pod

That's it, we made it. Micky doesn't seem too confident about the coming season but in this final episode of the season, we have a look who may or may not be here in our third NL campaign.

Find all our links ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠!

You can support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/oafcpodcast/subscribe⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠.

If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠

You can also support us by visiting ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Please subscribe to our ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠YouTube channel⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ to watch the Latics Football Phone In live every Wednesday from 8.30pm.

BPAS and Latics Football Phone In are ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠KUPOD⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ productions.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

Always difficult to do the release game without knowledge of financials (both player and budget) but I think the bulk of us would fall under a "not really arsed who leaves" banner. 

Probably worth mentioning Foreshaw had a season ending injury within 5 mins of his first Ossett United game rather than not catching at the level. Not that you'd imagine he'd stay regardless.

• Matt featured this topic

Our first goal on Saturday demonstrated exactly why Fondop and Green should be kept on. We're not going to find first- choice AND back-up better than them. 

Keep. 

Edited by JoeP

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Our first goal on Saturday demonstrated exactly why Fondop and Green should be kept on. We're not going to find first- choice AND back-up better than them. 

Keep. 

I voted for both but Green's fitness is a worry so definitely need at least 2 other wide men.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I genuinely think the only OOC player worth a discussion is Gardner, and even then it has to be on £150 a week with £500 appearance fee...

Would you sign that?😂

5 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Fondop is rubbish? Good one

It is funny what some people define as "good", isn't it?

Rubbish = someone who's a nuisance, scores from range and close-up with his head and feet, defends (FFS!), runs at players and holds the ball up.

Good = someone who sulks and "will score 20 a season" but only if the ball is played in a very very very very VERY specific way to him.  And he takes all the penalties.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Rubbish = someone who's a nuisance, scores from range and close-up with his head and feet, defends (FFS!), runs at players and holds the ball up.

Good = someone who sulks and "will score 20 a season" but only if the ball is played in a very very very very VERY specific way to him.  And he takes all the penalties.

I think you’re slightly overstating Fondop’s abilities there! But he should 100% be getting a new deal. My question is over his record in delivering in big games, so personally I wouldn’t have him down as a constant starting striker. But as a sub or an occasional starter he is a really important player to have. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I think you’re slightly overstating Fondop’s abilities there! But he should 100% be getting a new deal. My question is over his record in delivering in big games, so personally I wouldn’t have him down as a constant starting striker. But as a sub or an occasional starter he is a really important player to have. 

I'd have him starting, to be honest.  If the club do make the mistake of not offering him a new deal, they need to sign a better version of him and that could be hard to come by.  We need a hard-working unit who will press the defence and cause problems, run at defenders and work hard to get on the end of Green (or AN Other's) crosses.  I'd pick Garner over Norwood every day of the week, but they are too similar a player to work as a partnership.  We don't need another like them.

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I'd have him starting, to be honest.  If the club do make the mistake of not offering him a new deal, they need to sign a better version of him and that could be hard to come by.  We need a hard-working unit who will press the defence and cause problems, run at defenders and work hard to get on the end of Green (or AN Other's) crosses.  I'd pick Garner over Norwood every day of the week, but they are too similar a player to work as a partnership.  We don't need another like them.

The problem Mikey has got is he isn’t capable of consistent 90 minute performances week in week out. He’s got a poor engine and that lets his touch down when he’s tired. He can be great in a one off game, or even better as first sub- someone who will run tired defenders ragged and rough them up a bit. I would definitely offer him a deal, but it would be first sub- not first team regular. 

It’s a massive if - but if we can offload Nuttall/Reid/Kurt. I want some pace next to Norwood, someone to do his running like stones did. 

Norwood & AN other as first pick. 
Garner & Mikey as replacements. 

37 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Oh come off it. Both are in their 30s, go compare their careers and come back with a valid argument. 

Compare Fondop to Nuttall, Kurt and Reid if you want. 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The problem Mikey has got is he isn’t capable of consistent 90 minute performances week in week out. He’s got a poor engine and that lets his touch down when he’s tired. He can be great in a one off game, or even better as first sub- someone who will run tired defenders ragged and rough them up a bit. I would definitely offer him a deal, but it would be first sub- not first team regular. 

It’s a massive if - but if we can offload Nuttall/Reid/Kurt. I want some pace next to Norwood, someone to do his running like stones did. 

Norwood & AN other as first pick. 
Garner & Mikey as replacements. 

Not one player we have is capable of consistent 90 minute performances week in, week out!

I think - when the camp seemed a bit happier - and we were 5th, him playing for 60mins with Garner worked well.  I concede he tires, because he does so much running so would have to be first sub off, I would guess.  We'd need someone else with his energy to finish the job, though.

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Oh come off it. Both are in their 30s, go compare their careers and come back with a valid argument. 

Norwood has had a far better career and is a much better footballer. 

Miley has a better MPG ratio than Norwood this season having played far fewer games. . . 

Norwood needs service- he’s that type of player. 

Mikey creates his own chances with power and physique. 

Both offer very different things, and in this team, at this time we need them both. 

14 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Cheers for letting me know who I'm allowed to compare with whom. 

Couldn't give a shiny shit who's done what in their previous careers. It's about what Oldham Athletic need now.

7 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Not one player we have is capable of consistent 90 minute performances week in, week out!

I wasn’t talking about ability, when he’s played regularly for us- he’s great for a  couple of games, then always fades by game 3 or 4 to the point where the powerful runs, and the hustle and bustle becomes less and less. 

7 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I think - when the camp seemed a bit happier - and we were 5th, him playing for 60mins with Garner worked well.  I concede he tires, because he does so much running so would have to be first sub off, I would guess.  We'd need someone else with his energy to finish the job, though.

I’ve no problem with their partnership, they’re both pests and valuable squad players. But one is 37 next year, and the other has a poor engine. Id play them from the bench, but no issue if/ when they cover injury. 

30 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Thats bollocks….I’ve seen Shelton and Nuttall play consistent 90 minute performances loads of times!😂😂😂

• Like 2

Few things about the pod that I personally found a bit grating (I largely agreed on the keep/sell except for Norwood who's a nailed on get rid in my opinion):

1. The idea that fans booing players is totally unhelpful and that fans need to be more constructive - how can this ever be possible? In the case of Norwood, for example, who's scored 7 goals since November and none in open play since December, booing him off is the only possible way fans can voice their dissatisfaction with a player who's on £5k per week being shite for 6 months. How can we "constructively" give this feedback? The guy won't hang around the stadium after the 90 minutes are up long enough for any of us to sit him down and constructively tell him where his pressing was bad and where he can improve. Unfortunately our only choices are booing or sit there in silence and let them get away with it. I disagree with the fans who shouted personal abuse from the Main Stand Upper after he'd sat on his bench, but I've no problem with the crowd at large making their feelings known by booing him off the pitch.

2. The ending of the pod where Andy says that "people have died, that's a bit more important than football isn't it?" Well you can do this for literally anything. I'm afraid that the simple fact that humans do not live forever isn't enough to make me not furious about how the season has totally fizzled out for the last three months. I completely buy the fact that the club is no longer in danger of liquidation and the Rothwells have got a stable club with players who are paid on time, but I'm not going to sit around in the National League for years just being thankful that Oldham exist, which is the bare minimum for any football club. Existing was only an achievement under the Lemsagams, under the Rothwells it should be taken as a given.

Other than that, great pod and thanks for sticking out another horrendously underwhelming season and discussing it every single week. It's important for the fans to have something like this and the phone in.

• Like 3

If we're going to let Mike go we need to sign someone in a similar mould - big, disruptive CF that can put himself about, good in the air and has a bit of pace. I'm a fan, I would want to be convinced we were going to bring in someone better. Along with others, I've lost a bit of confidence in MM. I don't think he fancies Big Mike, I can see him being released and not adequately replaced.

With Reid frozen out Green is the only player at the club with real pace. Again I would keep him unless he was to be replaced with better players with pace.  

Green featured in our last three wins of the season, starting two, barnstorming performance at Maidenhead (A). We didn't win another game after his hamstring injury. Those last three wins also featured the successful Fondop/Garner strike partnership.