I'd like to play but will need a buggy ir share one due to disability

No official handicap card but would say I can get about 110  in total

There seems to be some sort of chance we could do this. 

Plan would be to play on a Friday before a home game on a Saturday. I'll wait till fixtures come out and just pick a date 

@pcassist

@Flemboy

As you've said you need buggies can I ask you to research local clubs and see which ones can oblige?

We clearly have a very wide range of abilities in the group and there's no point trying to sort out a day at a course which will be too much like hard work for irregulars.  

I'd start off in the immediate area with Oldham and Werneth but if you know of potentially suitable venues then throw them in the mix.  On the rare occasions I play golf in the North West these days it tends to be on the Southport coast but that's not viable for this

Dave, Pike Fold GC, Bury would probably be the most accommodating, after that Blackley Golf Club. Most clubs require you to have a bonafida handicap to play, unless you play a municipal course like Heaton Park, but it's a tough course and I'm not sure if they have buggy's. Lofty

4 minutes ago, pcassist said:

Dave, Pike Fold GC, Bury would probably be the most accommodating, after that Blackley Golf Club. Most clubs require you to have a bonafida handicap to play, unless you play a municipal course like Heaton Park, but it's a tough course and I'm not sure if they have buggy's. Lofty

Ah, Blackley - that takes me back...  As a junior I won a competition there, mainly because my putter was on fire.  24 putts in a round if memory (a long time ago!) serves and someone nicked my putter out of my bag.  I always suspected my partner who saw it in action.  Never been the same since!

3 hours ago, pcassist said:

If you block book as a group I doubt these clubs would be asking for everyone's handicaps. 

15 minutes ago, disjointed said:

If you block book as a group I doubt these clubs would be asking for everyone's handicaps. 

Upper level golf courses certainly would, thet don't want occasional hackers holding up the courses.  In any event it's no fun for an occasional player to pay a big green fee to play a course that's beyond their abilities

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Upper level golf courses certainly would, thet don't want occasional hackers holding up the courses.  In any event it's no fun for an occasional player to pay a big green fee to play a course that's beyond their abilities

Put me down if it's crazy golf.  😁

54 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I would say that as nice as Pike Fold and Blackley are they wouldn't come into the upper level golf course category. They will be glad of the money. 

18 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I would say that as nice as Pike Fold and Blackley are they wouldn't come into the upper level golf course category. They will be glad of the money. 

Defintley- I only have my society handicap which isn’t official and I’ve played the vast majority of local courses as a guest.  Nowhere has asked for my handicap. 

The only two that did, were the belfry and Penha longa in Portugal. As long as it’s not high end we’ll be reet. 

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

The main thing I recall about Blackley having last played it in about 1979 was the strong possibility of hitting overhead wires from the first tee 

30 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

The main thing I recall about Blackley having last played it in about 1979 was the strong possibility of hitting overhead wires from the first tee 

With Pike Fold there are a couple of holes where the main hazard is goose shite, other than that it's a pleasant and fairly flattish stroll. 

Ive played pretty much every course in Greater Manchester and never been asked for my handicap.

Didn't even get asked at Hillside or West Lancs when we played there a couple of weeks ago.

As long as you are dressed appropriately, it's not a problem.

I remember Manchester Golf Club (the one next to Hopwood Hall) being a nice course, though it's a few years since I played it. The slope rating is 128 off the yellows though, so might be on the tough side!

59 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I remember Manchester Golf Club (the one next to Hopwood Hall) being a nice course, though it's a few years since I played it. The slope rating is 128 off the yellows though, so might be on the tough side!

Played there many times as a junior but it's too tough for this group 

On 5/20/2024 at 9:22 AM, Dave_Og said:

@pcassist

@Flemboy

As you've said you need buggies can I ask you to research local clubs and see which ones can oblige?

We clearly have a very wide range of abilities in the group and there's no point trying to sort out a day at a course which will be too much like hard work for irregulars.  

I'd start off in the immediate area with Oldham and Werneth but if you know of potentially suitable venues then throw them in the mix.  On the rare occasions I play golf in the North West these days it tends to be on the Southport0 coast but that's not viable for this

I used  to be a member at Saddleworth and Grange over Sands but only played socially so never bothered about putting my cards in.Due to a spinal stroke shortly after a covid jab I now need a buggy..I don't want to be a burden so count me out.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Flemboy said:

I used  to be a member at Saddleworth and Grange over Sands but only played socially so never bothered about putting my cards in.Due to a spinal stroke shortly after a covid jab I now need a buggy..I don't want to be a burden so count me out.

Not remotely a burden, just asking for a bit of help to organise 

Edited by Dave_Og

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Not remotely a burden, just asking for a bit of help to organise 

They have always had one at Saddleworth 

Right. here's the plan.

These are interested

@LightDN123

@PeteG

@pcassist

@shaw_blue

@League one forever

@disjointed

@LaticsLegend

@Worcester Owl

@Stainrod

@BradKnowles1

@Flemboy

@dannyboy55555

So 13 which is certainly enough for a little gathering although experience tells me that there is little prospect of all being available at the same time

Wide range of abilities so no point in trying to play at a really tough course - no fun for anyone

Two need buggies, not a a problem.  I imagine you'd share one and split the cost

Date to be set.  Most likely on a Friday afternoon the day before a home game.  Will have a look when the fixtures come out.  To give plenty of notice would be towards the end of next season and probably after the clocks change, so next April.  That will help those who would travel (including me!)

Obviously not looking for commitment at this point but an indication of genuine interest would be handy.

If anyone wants to suggest any other venues, bearing in mind this is supposed to be fund for all!, please message me.

• Like 4