North Stand Construction Thread

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no alternative, oh sorry that was the line about Failsworth wasnt it! It wont!

I think the catering side (business functions etc) will operate at a profit. I don't see it generating anything over and above what's needed to reinvest in itself as a business though.

Matchday hospitality cones into play somewhere too. Apparently Chesterfield earn 30% of their income from new ground facilities beyond seat and pie spectator spending.

Not a stratospheric leap, but a measured improvement in earnings.

I think the catering side (business functions etc) will operate at a profit. I don't see it generating anything over and above what's needed to reinvest in itself as a business though.

Matchday hospitality cones into play somewhere too. Apparently Chesterfield earn 30% of their income from new ground facilities beyond seat and pie spectator spending.

Are we not getting anything from the leasing of the building to Subway and the gym?

Are we not getting anything from the leasing of the building to Subway and the gym?

One would assume so. Although there doesn't seem to be any rush to get the Subway in place. And as I said ... "Not a stratospheric leap, but a measured improvement in earnings".

Isnt the Gym let to OMBC, a connected party, as is the Sports store, to Sports Direct. Both look a bit desperate rather than arms length transactions.

With regards to Subway, it isnt a prime sight is it-just aiming to feed on the hospital staff as far as I can foresee. A mate of mine owns a fully fitted cafe that he lets out to tenants-he is now on his 5th tenant in 5 years. We are not talking about an independent hotel or the like. I tend to consider what Corney says very sceptically.

Progress is so slow it seems that the result will not be anywhere near as profitable as some people think it will be!

One would assume so. Although there doesn't seem to be any rush to get the Subway in place. And as I said ... "Not a stratospheric leap, but a measured improvement in earnings".

I suppose if you add the subway and gym to the corporate income and HOPEFULLY few extra fans, it all adds up to give us more leeway in terms of FFP.

There is no alternative, oh sorry that was the line about Failsworth wasnt it! It wont!

lets just do nothing then eh just carry on losing money and struggling rather than trying to do something about it eh ?

I've worked in Stadium hospitality catering for years consulting for teams in the Prem down to League 2 (Historically Stockport of all clubs were excellent at making maximum return from the facilities they had) and you can either make or indeed lose a fortune doing it yourself.....going back 5 years the trend was to get a contract caterer in and have a guaranteed return but nowadays clubs tend to want to go inhouse.

I've had numerous meetings with SC over the last 9 months to discuss what they are going to do and it's clear his entrepeneurial juices are flowing and he is going to go it alone!

I did suggest that he may be a little too close to it and emotion make take over when making decisions which he took quite well but he made it pretty clear that he is looking to employee someone to look after the new stand and driving income as an addition to the current commercial team.

Stockport used to do a friday afternoon sportmans 'curry & beer' session that made them a lot of money, it used to sell out all the time targetting businessmen and those industries that tend to finish at lunch on a Friday involving ex pros such as Mickey Thomas & Sammy Mc

I've worked in Stadium hospitality catering for years consulting for teams in the Prem down to League 2 (Historically Stockport of all clubs were excellent at making maximum return from the facilities they had) and you can either make or indeed lose a fortune doing it yourself.....going back 5 years the trend was to get a contract caterer in and have a guaranteed return but nowadays clubs tend to want to go inhouse.

I've had numerous meetings with SC over the last 9 months to discuss what they are going to do and it's clear his entrepeneurial juices are flowing and he is going to go it alone!

I did suggest that he may be a little too close to it and emotion make take over when making decisions which he took quite well but he made it pretty clear that he is looking to employee someone to look after the new stand and driving income as an addition to the current commercial team.

Stockport used to do a friday afternoon sportmans 'curry & beer' session that made them a lot of money, it used to sell out all the time targetting businessmen and those industries that tend to finish at lunch on a Friday involving ex pros such as Mickey Thomas & Sammy Mc

This is great news SCIG, as someone who has been a Catering Manager at a number of venues for over 30 years, your involvement is welcome news. Of course, vital to get the right person in, I hope you are involved in the recruitment process at least.

Is the Subway going where their was a coffee shop in the plans?

And, I thought WE were going to be letting offices (in the new stand) to the NHS not 'tother way round.

Either would make a killing from the hospikal. The area isn't well served for the number of staff, plus all the patients and visitors. Think of all the doctors walking up the road from the car park wanting a caffeine hit.

Is the Subway going where their was a coffee shop in the plans?

And, I thought WE were going to be letting offices (in the new stand) to the NHS not 'tother way round.

The Subway is going where the club shop is on Furtherwood Road.

I understand that Port Vale get added income by letting their hospitality suites for use/office space for local businesses. Great idea and hopefully an option. The stand will be open and manned by Latics staff during the week anyway and they would prove to be nice small business accommodation overlooking the pitch and with car park space for staff and visitors. Will add to wear and tear in the suites but getting 6 days income out of them instead of 5 hours would be a real boost. Hope they are already ahead of us with this!

Also Walsall have regular Sportsman's dinners and cabaret nights again earning cash. This stand should work but of course it needs the town to use it, I'd hate to think of the admin team rattling around it on their own all week.

Either would make a killing from the hospikal. The area isn't well served for the number of staff, plus all the patients and visitors. Think of all the clinical staff and students walking up the road from the car park wanting a caffeine hit.

FTFY- lots of clinical staff enjoy the caffeine hit. You'd need a bit of time to get from the far side of the hospital to our old club shop. Students are the more likely candidates to have that spare amount of time.

Can someone remind me again, how this stand will make us money?

There is going to be a huge dropdown screen that covers the whole stand. (It is secretly being fitted behind the new roof panels; that is the reason we changed from glass, as if we had a glass roof, it would no longer be a secret). Then, during the close season, we are going to project the whole second division championship winning season (starting with the Wolves game, from the main stand onto the drop down screen using one of the projectors from the ABC cinema.

Hang on, do we have planning permission for the projector gantry?

I see your point.

Archived