Oldham Sign Two Trialists

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kidderminster forum suggests that he's a striker that has been played out of position on the wing for them (because he couldn't get a game infront of their strikers).

There's always a place on the wing for strikers here. :wink:

Spot the error (or prediction?) from the BBC:

"Oldham Athletic have signed former Kidderminster Harriers striker Amari Morgan-Smith on a one-year deal.

The 25-year-old, who scored 11 goals in 47 appearances after initially moving to Aggborough on loan, rejected the offer of new deal from the Conference Premier side at the end of last season.

League Two Oldham have also signed 22-year-old former Kilmarnock striker Willie Gros on a one-month contract.

The Frenchman's move to Boundary Park is subject to international clearance.

Gros, a former team-mate of Latics boss Lee Johnson at Kilmarnock, netted just twice in 56 matches for the Scottish Premier League side after joining in 2010."

Billy Clarke, Paynter, Akinfenwa, Lowe, McLeod, Barnard, Tubbs, Zola.

Cheers. I've had to take some time to consider these!

Personally, I'd have had us signing Barnard or McLeod out of that list based on their age and their scoring record. Not sure if either of those was a possibility for us?

Clarke's record isn't great, Paynter hasn't played a lot, Akinfenwa is mainly lg 2 and isn't prolific, Lowe has the goals but is old and has found himself a 2 year deal that would have been foolish for us to give him. Tubbs had a great spell with Crawley but not much since and Zola doesn't have much in this league. All would have been a gamble in some way or another.

So I'm still fairly happy that we've not missed anyone obvious. Saying all that, I'd still love us to sign a proven scorer obviously (and not have him die on his arse) but we probably need to get lucky with either one of our young players or with a prem loan.

Billy Clarke, Paynter, Akinfenwa, Lowe, McLeod, Barnard, Tubbs, Zola.

Eh? Akinfenwa's at Winbledon (L2) as is Tubbs, Lowe at Bury(L2), Zola was largely derided (perhaps unfairly) when here before, Barnard is at at Southend (L2) and Paynter is at Carlisle (L2).

Doesn't exactly smack of outr L1 rivals blazing the trail on signing up striking talent.

Eh? Akinfenwa's at Winbledon (L2) as is Tubbs, Lowe at Bury(L2), Zola was largely derided (perhaps unfairly) when here before, Barnard is at at Southend (L2) and Paynter is at Carlisle (L2).

Doesn't exactly smack of outr L1 rivals blazing the trail on signing up striking talent.

Point was these lads were potentially there to be signed as arguably better options than our current ones.

You forgot Billy Clarke is at Bradford. I'll reiterate it's not necessarily a goalscorer we need but either an attacking midfielder in the Harkins mould or another winger preferebly one who can put a decent ball into the box

So what's the story with Forte? He's appeared in quite a few (all?) of the friendlies, but there's been no word on whether we're looking to sign him.

I'd assume something's in the works - why else would the club play him in so many games, and why would he still be here when his opportunities to trial for other clubs in PSFs will be fewer and fewer?