• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ShakerT said:

Nope not selective, just concentrating on what happened a few weeks ago and that I understand why there's a flag in the first place, Also you don't know me and I'm not happy to turn a blind eye to any form of terrorism hence why I started this post. I take it your more offended by the red hand?

You seem to be suggesting that I only have a certain amount of outrage to go around and that therefore being offended by misuse of the Red Hand I don't have much left for disliking ISIS. I can manage both thanks 

I think the flag is a bit daft but they're young lads, cut them some slack - there's the usual sneering comments on social media about them. It'll get confiscated at a ground very soon I have no doubt & life will go on.

However, people getting distressed or embarrassed at a message (however crude) of scorn directed at an utterly barbarous death cult, one which I wish death upon every one of it's members, is also a bit daft. From experience away from Latics related things I reckon some of those most upset or cringing about it probably wouldn't be overly embarrassed if ISIS was replaced by Nazis. Now *that* I find telling. 

I feel the same about the IRA song - was never sure why it was a matter for a football game,have never sung it in my life & have rolled my eyes at it on occasion but I've always thought those most agitated about it were hipster leftys horrified to be in close proximity to those they consider thicky plebs. While I'm making sweeping generalisations I bet you all voted remain as well - oh and voted for Jezza but are now perhaps a bit confused (or clinging to the hope the Glorious Leader has a cunning plan) ;-)

Oh and putting the red hand of Ulster on the flag is also a bit lame but as I said they're kids & not doing anyone any harm.

Absolutely embarrassing, especially when a bunch of virgins are stood around it

No place for it in football, even if the sentiments are justified. Totally understandable people wanting to make a tribute to victims of atrocities, especially close to home, but surely there's a more eloquent way than sticking Fuck Isis on a flag with the NI flag. What is the need? 

Edited by NewBlue

10 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Absolutely embarrassing, especially when a bunch of virgins are stood around it

Yes it would look slightly better with a couple of whores from Filton Hill and a couple of dirty dicks from Derker standing over it.

3 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

The recent horrors have appalled me and I know that there will be many in the Oldham and Royton area who will have been affected. My heart goes out to them all.

But a flag such as this at a football match? A friendly between two local teams? Whoever dreamed this up is very misguided even though I doubt their intentions were inflammatory.

Football matches are not the place for politics, religion or anything else  other than enjoying the beautiful game. Be sensible, lads. Destroy the bloody thing before it becomes a potentially serious situation.

100% agree with this.

I don't think most people where this wil appear (before being removed) will associate Oldham, or know the Royton connection, with the Manchester bomb.

Even then a bee would have been a more appropriate show of support.

Besides, don't we spend time saying we are not from Mancester or Mancs?

Aside from all that, the ultimate measure is this: would the families of those affected appreciate the support (a la Ernie Flag) or be appalled?

It's odds on the latter, we don't even need to ask, so it should never see the light of day again.

It's completely fucking embarrassing. I anticipate, and will stand corrected, that it's the same people (predominantly Athleticos) who were waving their Crystal Palace checked flags at the youth team friendly at Wythenshawe earlier in the day, setting off fireworks and getting involved exhanging abusive songs at a group of loud mouthed drunk girls at full time. At a fucking youth team game.

(Not that they watched most of the game, they seemed to spend most of their time taking selfies and videoing each other)

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

I wonder if, in about 15 years, there will be ISIS terrorists with seats in UK Parliment like what happened with the IRA terrorists.

5 hours ago, jsslatic said:

It's completely fucking embarrassing. I anticipate, and will stand corrected, that it's the same people (predominantly Athleticos) who were waving their Crystal Palace checked flags at the youth team friendly at Wythenshawe earlier in the day, setting off fireworks and getting involved exhanging abusive songs at a group of loud mouthed drunk girls at full time. At a fucking youth team game.

(Not that they watched most of the game, they seemed to spend most of their time taking selfies and videoing each other)

Not allowed to slag athleticos/gate13, or whatever they call themselves these days, off on here. They're the future if the club. Ye. The future of our club. A bunch of wannabe hooligan virgins. I'll gladly accept your downboats. Cheers

57 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

I can't think of any level on which that flag is acceptable. It's just totally embarrassing.

Not as bad as some of the comments on Facebook Dear God! 

I'm glad we have moderators on here to weed out any of that unfiltered balderdash.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Cant believe we've having to post this, but seeing as we have recieved some unpleasent messages over a flag.

To make this point clear, the flag in question was not purchased, nor ordered by the Athleticos. However for those who are interested in the flags we order here is our latest one kindly raised by Latics fans over the past few weeks.

For future for the lovely people who feel the need to inbox/message us these colourful letters, as much as we appreciate it please can you consider we have young members who are in our group and these kind of messages we don't find acceptable, especially from our own supporters.

OA95

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

21 minutes ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

"To make this point clear, the flag in question was not purchased, nor ordered by the Athleticos. However for those who are interested in the flags we order here is our latest one kindly raised by Latics fans over the past few weeks."

So in fact the flag was not sanctioned by the Athleticos. That is welcome news. Sometimes there are some who cannot wait to point the finger without knowing all the facts. 

The flag shown via the above link carries a simple and straightforward message of sympathy and solidarity. 

My opinion: I do not believe the original flag should have any place at any football match.

I have mixed feelings about the flag in general but also by some comments made on the thread on here.

Firstly the flag; It certainly wouldn’t be the way I portrayed my hate of ISIS and it certainly wouldn’t be my choice of language to have on the flag. The red hand of Ulster is controversial amongst some but ever thought the person who has had the flag made is a Latics fan with Northern Irish connections who wishes to show his pride of both along with sending the rather silly comment about ISIS and also the unfortunate choice of language he/she wished to use?

As for some of the comments regarding this though:

‘I hope that flag is pulled out at an away game where the Hibs fans are present’

That’s pretty poor also, the interpretation being that he will get hassle for unveiling a flag you may not agree with but wish some trouble to come his way because of a flag, bit contradictory.

On from that, the Athleticos have come in for quite a bit of abuse once more from a few. I understand there are 3 younger lads on this picture with the flag but the 3 lads in question offer no threat, no trouble and no problem to the club, its supporters or opposition or their supporters. As well as this it isn’t their flag, just wanted a picture with it for whatever reason. The reason I imagine is due to recent events and going with the trend of everybody else in hating ISIS.

When a few of you were growing up in this country the IRA terrorist attacks were rife, Manchester Arndale being blown up, the bomb in Warrington, the bomb who killed women and children on a coach as well as many more. Similar sort of thing right? Not the organistations or the reasons why they are attacking but both being frowned upon and rightly so! I also bet quite a lot of you (not all, but then again there are 3 Athleticos on the picture) have joined in with the song ‘Keep St George In My Heart’ which leads to the reference towards the hatred of the IRA?

Again, these are young lads! I happen to know most of them and certainly get on quite well with Ryan, who orders all of the flags (not this one in question as stated before) and does everything to help, support and raise funds for both the Athleticos and the club as a whole.

During the game, however ‘cringey’ you seem to see it, the Athleticos did a tribute to Bradley Lowery on 6th Minute and set off a rendition of ‘Don’t Look Back In Anger’ in tribute for the 22 who lost their lives in Manchester on 22nd minute whilst raising enough funds, mostly between them to get the ‘Manchester 22’ flag made ready for next season.

Whichever way you look at this flag as a whole which for what it’s worth I don’t really see why they saw the need to make a flag saying what it said and/or unveil it at a pre-season friendly (perhaps as the owner may be aware it won’t last very long in a League game’ the comments and the abuse towards both the flag owner and Athleticos I feel a bit ridiculous.

I’m sure a lot will disagree and fair enough if you do, but I’m sure if you have any suggestions, issues or whatever that Ryan will be quite happy to speak to you, explain decisions and also take your opinions on board.

All this aside, I hope you are all enjoying your summer and looking forward to the season! It should be a better one than last season that’s for sure!

48 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

.......During the game, however ‘cringey’ you seem to see it, the Athleticos did a tribute to Bradley Lowery on 6th Minute and set off a rendition of ‘Don’t Look Back In Anger’ in tribute for the 22 who lost their lives in Manchester on 22nd minute whilst raising enough funds, mostly between them to get the ‘Manchester 22’ flag made ready for next season.......

They also started the "One Gordon Lawton" chant.

Personally I have nothing against the Athleticos, and from what I've read from them it's not their flag.

The thing is just embarrassing and shouldn't be displayed at any game, or anywhere for that matter. Giving terrorists of any sort, on any side any kind of recognition is just plain wrong in my book, and certainly has no place in football. 

On 10/7/2017 at 1:42 PM, latics22 said:

It's obviously been made by some racist little teenagers with spots! Fine young casuals ?. This isn't a political, it's football. No one likes Isis but on a flag at a football game, what is it achieving??

You seen the state of em. Nothing casual about em.

I am gonna get some stickers and scarves made with the new slogan. That should get rid of the terrorist bastards once and for all...