Latics v Girona

Well I don't think we will play a team that keeps the ball aswell as that all season was a different test to what we are usually used too. Quite liked the look of the diminutive number 17 tried to make things happen hard to tell off a friendly. The keeper I thought looked competent couldn't do anything about the first goal maybe could have done better with the second.

It's always hard to tell in friendlies how hard a team is going at it. But I would say we were pretty much second best here for large parts of the game. We never really got a period in the game when we got on top of them. Mainly because we spent the game chasing the ball.

54 minutes ago, Blue_Guru said:

Patiently awaits a match report and ratings from a spectator...?

We were playing a decent side who cut through the centre of midfield at times and looked comfortable in the first half.

first goal possibly off side in the build up. Super finish from 18 yards. Keeper might just have done better. I realised tonight that whichever keeper we get this year each goal conceded will come with the nagging doubt , would Ripley have saved it? He was unlucky with the second having made a terrific save. Didn't quite convince enough

dummigan seemed to be improving on other friendly performances. Did ok

edmundson - seemed too central at times which made us more defensive as he didn't pull out right to either support or cover the rwb as Wilson does so effectively

clarke - scared the shit out of Stuani. Ever so slightly rusty

gerrard -'ok again a bit rusty

Hunt solid I think he'll improve with each game

flynn and banks- I am not prone to knocking players but they were poor. I've put them together because together they were the problem. Both can't position themselves when defending and don't move forward quickly enough when they have the ball. One might be a luxury we can just about afford but I think together they are a liability

Fane - carried the midfield. I think he gets over hyped on here but tonight was the best I have seen him play. MOM. Never thought he was about to get sent off. Could be learning

davies and Holloway- quietly impressed .held it up well and got about. Made chances and got in the box

subs - 17- think he flattered to deceive. Had a few pacy runs. Incredibly small

duffus isolated up front. Did 3 things.superb turn and shot out of nothing which went just over. Won penalty ,scored penalty. I am looking forward to watching him

fawns busy saw little of the ball

edit

missed 18 and Obadeyi which says it all really. 18 tried but had little end product. Was switched a couple of times which couldn't have helped  a triallist. And Obadeyi didn't seem arsed .

Edited by astottie

1 hour ago, RobOAFC said:

They could do with changing the netting back to white aswell! 

The blue and tangerine net-hitching posts looked good.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/diego_sideburns/35404103373/in/album-72157686852911555/

More pictures/video:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/diego_sideburns/albums/72157686852911555

17 was very lively. Good on the ball, quick.

18 looked like he had 1 option, try and go outside your man every time. Didn't work well. Small bit I saw of 18 made me think of Flynn. Can't beat a man.

Although both played very little so I'll reserve judgement for the time being 

An interesting choice of opponent given the obvious disconnect between the trialist purporting to be a goalkeeper and our defence.

However an enjoyable game.  No doubt the gaffer likes Banks but I can't get over his unwillingness to tackle.  Fawns despite his inexperience appears a much better option.

Fane was the player I hoped he would become.

Duffus looks like the real deal.  Whereas Amadi-Holloway and Davies still look unlikely to score the goals we need to reach the top six - they work hard but Duffus has something.

18 didn't do well whereas 17 did inject some pace and skill but I can't see him starting games if we signed him.

What we need is every penny of available money spent on goalkeepers.  

6 minutes ago, Blue_Guru said:

I love Duffus' turn and shoot mentality...love his confidence. Should be in serious contention for a starting spot.

Agree. Think him and Holloway up top would be a very decent force. Think davies should be sub. I would be looking to get rid of osei and bring back Erwin if funds allow.