Edmundson

Hunt

Fane

Gardner

Byrne

Baxter

New Striker

What is wrong with that?

Fane got a long term injury (months), clattered by Byrne in training - apparently. 

Coke plays more advances for me, lots of square pegs and round holes.

Decent back four/five though with lots of options, be tempted to play three at the back with Dummigan and Hunt as wingbacks, midfield three of Gardner-Byrne-Coke with Baxter in behind a decent strikes in the Doyle mould.

30 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Decent back four/five though with lots of options, be tempted to play three at the back with Dummigan and Hunt as wingbacks, midfield three of Gardner-Byrne-Coke with Baxter in behind a decent strikes in the Doyle mould.

Just need two players then ?

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

New Keeper

Dummigan

Hamer

Clarke

Edmundson

Hunt

Fane

Gardner

Byrne

Baxter

New Striker

What is wrong with that?

I wasn't at Ashton United, but having gone to the Curzon game I don't believe FB has had us playing 352 yet - correct me if I'm wrong though.  So I assume you're suggesting 352 to back your point up?

Baxter isn't an out & out striker, and I would be surprised to see him used as one throughout the season.  I'd expect him to play as a #10.  Taking that into account, we have zero strikers as of today. I don't think it can be argued that we NEED 2 strikers (even if Baxter does occasionally play up top.  COG was absolute toss against Curzon, as was Benteke.

Fane is injured for a number of months, so hopefully the new lad can step up, though to me he seems more box to box than DM.  Do we have a decent winger in our squad?  McLaughlin wont be returning, we have this Branger lad, Nepo is 'OK', but I'd be lying if I knew what his natural position was, so I would say we NEED at least one natural wide man.

Agree that we need a keeper (if JP does leave).  I'd still prefer to bring someone better than JP in even if he didn't leave though.

For as long as we have more than 11 players in our squad, any XI can be thrown out there.  But as far as I am concerned (and I'd be surprised if people disagreed), we NEED much more than 1 GK and 1 ST.

4 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Depth is also an extremely important factor and one of the reasons we went down last season. 

We had capable players at the club who Wellens refused to use whilst picking the same shite week in week out.

42 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Gardner tweeted from Blackpool yesterday - he was on the beach with his young son. 
Crossed wires about Fleetwood or looking at the area?

Only in the age of social media could being on the beach with a toddler suggest a move is imminent 

13 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Depth is also an extremely important factor and one of the reasons we went down last season. 

in 1990-91 [I think] we only used 18 players all season; Depth isn't an issue if your players are any good;

GK's

- Hallworth

Defendefers

- Warhurst

- Barrett

- Jobson

- Halle

- Barlow

- Donachie

Mids

- Redfearn

- Henry

- Holden

- Adams

- Bernard

- Kane

Forwards

- Marshall

- Ritchie

- Palmer

- Moulden

- Currie

3 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

in 1990-91 [I think] we only used 18 players all season; Depth isn't an issue if your players are any good;

GK's

- Hallworth

Defendefers

- Warhurst

- Barrett

- Jobson

- Halle

- Barlow

- Donachie

Mids

- Redfearn

- Henry

- Holden

- Adams

- Bernard

- Kane

Forwards

- Marshall

- Ritchie

- Palmer

- Moulden

- Currie

Yes but thats because all 18 could come on and do a very good job at some point.

Our 18 or so isnt that strong or unproven I think we are about 6 decent players away from being competitve and by competitive I mean top 7.

28 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

I wasn't at Ashton United, but having gone to the Curzon game I don't believe FB has had us playing 352 yet - correct me if I'm wrong though.  So I assume you're suggesting 352 to back your point up?

Baxter isn't an out & out striker, and I would be surprised to see him used as one throughout the season.  I'd expect him to play as a #10.  Taking that into account, we have zero strikers as of today. I don't think it can be argued that we NEED 2 strikers (even if Baxter does occasionally play up top.  COG was absolute toss against Curzon, as was Benteke.

Fane is injured for a number of months, so hopefully the new lad can step up, though to me he seems more box to box than DM.  Do we have a decent winger in our squad?  McLaughlin wont be returning, we have this Branger lad, Nepo is 'OK', but I'd be lying if I knew what his natural position was, so I would say we NEED at least one natural wide man.

Agree that we need a keeper (if JP does leave).  I'd still prefer to bring someone better than JP in even if he didn't leave though.

For as long as we have more than 11 players in our squad, any XI can be thrown out there.  But as far as I am concerned (and I'd be surprised if people disagreed), we NEED much more than 1 GK and 1 ST.

I forgot about Nepo. Bonus.

And I’m only saying this one last time, if you can’t get it then Lord help you.

The TEAM needs two more players, the SQUAD needs five.

1 hour ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

I think you meant strength in depth, and that is right. we had a deep squad that were either poor or not being picked. The team more or less picks itself at the moment, so the next half a dozen are crucial to be able to challenge for a space. Not quite doing that at the moment i think.

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yes but thats because all 18 could come on and do a very good job at some point.

Our 18 or so isnt that strong or unproven I think we are about 6 decent players away from being competitve and by competitive I mean top 7.

That's the point I'm making..... I've got no problem with a smaller squad if the players are good.

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

I forgot about Nepo. Bonus.

And I’m only saying this one last time, if you can’t get it then Lord help you.

The TEAM needs two more players, the SQUAD needs five.

File under ‘P’ for patronising... ?

48 minutes ago, LaticsLen said:

Is Ishmael Miller still training with us? 

Judging by his Twitter/Instagram pic I wasn't that keen when he was claiming he'd been roped into it. He's not featured so I suspect he's probably had a better offer off Tamworth or Southport. 

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

File under ‘P’ for patronising... ?

Ignore him, he’s odd.

His original post stated we only needed 2 players, there was no mention of team or squad.

He knows we need more than 2, but pedantic people will be pedantic.

Moving on.

7 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

GK's

- Hallworth

Defendefers

- Warhurst

- Barrett

- Jobson

- Halle

- Barlow

- Donachie

Mids

- Redfearn

- Henry