New Signings Latest News* in the Chron

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommended a player, Steve Morisson, from my local side to Latics last year but unfortunately he was snapped up by Stevenage two days later. Banged in 20odd last year and he's in the teens again thie time round. Still think he will play higher. Meanwhile his replacement, Greg Pearson is into the 20s already this time round. There is a lot of talent in non-league but most of them would have to take a drop in pay to go full time at Latics level. I know for example that Cooksey saw his money cut in half when he joined Latics and there's not many that can or will do that.

There is a lot of talent in non-league but most of them would have to take a drop in pay to go full time at Latics level. I know for example that Cooksey saw his money cut in half when he joined Latics and there's not many that can or will do that.

:shock: I find that very difficult to believe.

Probably true....

An establish player playing in the conference who is doing well is probably going to be on more money than a 18 year old profesional on latics books....

I doubt the likes of Smalley and Wolfy are even on anything approaching good money....

Not their football salary - their overall wages from their full time job and the footie. Cooksey was a dry liner (whatever that is) and giving that up for a short term contract on 3rd div money isn't that appealing. Pretty much impossible for a player with a mortgage and family.

Not their football salary - their overall wages from their full time job and the footie. Cooksey was a dry liner (whatever that is) and giving that up for a short term contract on 3rd div money isn't that appealing. Pretty much impossible for a player with a mortgage and family.

yeah thats very true....

Also like I said above alot of the conference teams are pritty much profesional paying proper wages.....

Probably true....

An establish player playing in the conference who is doing well is probably going to be on more money than a 18 year old profesional on latics books....

I doubt the likes of Smalley and Wolfy are even on anything approaching good money....

I wasn't refering to kids, which obviously I could easily understand.

I was assuming the names mentioned were senior players.

You may be surprised.

From what I have heard, Chris Hall is getting paid far more by Stalyvegas than he got from Latics.

So why is touting DVDs, or was that the film career he was talking about? Perhaps one day he's hoping to realise his ultimate ambition and take charge of his very own Blockbuster store.

So in summary:-

We cant afford Championship players as they are on Championship wages (7K).

We cant seem to get League 1 players in as we get out bid by Leeds and Donny etc.

We cant pick up current non-league players as they wont take a pay cut to join us.

We presumably cant keep all our current players as if good offers come in for them then we cant afford not to sell.

We really are struggling, no wonder there is no incoming transfer activity at BP.

I think this today highlights a very, very worrying point in football which I think most of us knew, but never really gets talked about in the same breath as it does higher up....and that is, the difference between the leagues in this country.

We all know the Grand Canyon between the Premiership and the Championship, but until reading this lot today, it really really shows the size of gap between the Championship and League One more than ever. I've always been of the mind that the powers that be have always wanted this 2 x 20 teams in a Premier League 1 and 2. And the rest go under or part time like non-league. And if the gap between our level and that next one directly above continues, then it's easily going to go that way. TBH, it shows what a good job the likes of small clubs like Colchester have done to stay up but saying that, they'll now be adding to this gap by having the likes of Sheringham playing for them. And at our own level, teams like Donny, Forest and Swansea have thrown cash at it for a few years now and gone nowhere. Only Bristol City have thrown money at it lately and gone up, but it took them a good 5yrs of doing so.

10yrs at this level and counting.....could be a while yet (until the revenue streams from the new stadium) before we can consistently throw money at it to the proportion required, to get up.

Re Stuart Fleetwood,

The real problem was he contracted a virus while at Hereford, which caused him to lose nearly a stone in weight.

It took a long for him too recover and resulted in a dramatic loss of form.

Now he has fully recovered his form is back.

There is no doubt in my mind he can be successful at Division One level.

We cant seem to get League 1 players in as we get out bid by Leeds and Donny etc.

We cant pick up current non-league players as they wont take a pay cut to join us.

We presumably cant keep all our current players as if good offers come in for them then we cant afford not to sell.

We really are struggling, no wonder there is no incoming transfer activity at BP.

Sad but true.... :disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:

Re Stuart Fleetwood,

The real problem was he contracted a virus while at Hereford, which caused him to lose nearly a stone in weight.

It took a long for him too recover and resulted in a dramatic loss of form.

Now he has fully recovered his form is back.

There is no doubt in my mind he can be successful at Division One level.

Seems a very good player with his stats this season .. You dont lose ability its just getting the body working again and regaining the confidance !

By the way anyone know what Virus he had and where I can catch it ??? :grin:

I think this today highlights a very, very worrying point in football which I think most of us knew, but never really gets talked about in the same breath as it does higher up....and that is, the difference between the leagues in this country.

We all know the Grand Canyon between the Premiership and the Championship, but until reading this lot today, it really really shows the size of gap between the Championship and League One more than ever. I've always been of the mind that the powers that be have always wanted this 2 x 20 teams in a Premier League 1 and 2. And the rest go under or part time like non-league. And if the gap between our level and that next one directly above continues, then it's easily going to go that way. TBH, it shows what a good job the likes of small clubs like Colchester have done to stay up but saying that, they'll now be adding to this gap by having the likes of Sheringham playing for them. And at our own level, teams like Donny, Forest and Swansea have thrown cash at it for a few years now and gone nowhere. Only Bristol City have thrown money at it lately and gone up, but it took them a good 5yrs of doing so.

10yrs at this level and counting.....could be a while yet (until the revenue streams from the new stadium) before we can consistently throw money at it to the proportion required, to get up.

Perhaps but I think it is still doable. Look at the teams who were promoted last season. Scunny are struggling, Pool comfortable mid-table with Bristol city flying hight in 2nd place.

I do know a little bit about Cooksey, from an ex boss who was his Asst Mgr for a time. Most recently a Scout for a Conf Non league club. Not sure if he is still there, not in tocuh any more.

Anyway, Cooksey was on £32k (might have been £35k) and this was a significant pay deal for him. Plenty of them were amazed at the deal. Remember this was the Chris moore flashing the cash era. If memory serves me he tok a big pay cut to go to to Rochdale.

Edited by singe

I do know a little bit about Cooksey, from an ex boss who was his Asst Mgr for a time. Most recently a Scout for a Conf Non league club. Not sure if he is still there, not in tocuh any more.

Anyway, Cooksey was on £32k (might have been £35k) and this was a significant pay deal for him. Plenty of them were amazed at the deal. Remember this was the Chris moore flashing the cash era. If memory serves me he tok a big pay cut to go to to Rochdale.

Nooo, no no no.

Cooksey was one of a host of trialists who we brought in to get a team together when Moore sold everyone off.

First saw him play for us against Rochdale in July 2003.

This is the point I have been trying to make. We just dont have the money alot of the time to attract qauility players and when we do get a player with qauility which we can afford, then we face competition from more wealthy clubs in are own division. Shez has a tough task ahead of him... Jan is always a bad time to look for new players....

Exactly, but how are we supposed to compete if we get promoted? The crowds won't be anywhere near big enough, nor will the off field income match anything like the average Championship side.

On the face of it all true. That's why it's so hard finding the right players. Hopefully more fans will begin to realise that it really is an awful lot more complicated than Football Manager 2008...

Guest oa_exile
Glad I woke up a little earlier today and not missed any frantic transfer activity.

Should have stayed in bed the Chron Digital Version isnt available until about 13:30 :wink: so no news until then I'm afraid. :grin:

"Thowdum Chron a hub of information"