Hartlepool off?

Thinking way back to school days, I seem to remember that it takes the same amount of heat energy to thaw ice as it does to boil the equivalent weight of water to 70°C or something. Also don't ice crystals start forming in the water at about 3°C?

I would think we need some rain to help thaw the pitch rather than slightly warmer weather.

Can anyone confirm or has dementia finally set in?

Derek.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=wzHXiGdMvkU

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they need to turn the pitch sprinklers on with red hot water coming out of them to melt it,then borrow that big sponge machine from lancashire cricket to mop up then put the covers on...oiece of cake.

:grin: barry fry was on ssnews yesterday, saying that his pitch was 95% playable with one or two frozen areas. i did think that surely that was nothing a few buckets of warm water from the showers couldnt fix! bloody stupid these guys, cant do owt reet.

A bloke on the radio from pitchcare.com said it would cost £180,000/£200,000 to install undersoil heating if not done as part of a complete pitch reconstruction. It would also cost £3,500 per day in runnnig costs. The final say is with the ref, and if only an aea of a couple of square metres of the pitch is not satisfactory, he would call the game off in the interest of the players' safety.

The problem with undersoil heating is that it dries out the pitch, and then irrigation is required.

Thinking way back to school days, I seem to remember that it takes the same amount of heat energy to thaw ice as it does to boil the equivalent weight of water to 70°C or something. Also don't ice crystals start forming in the water at about 3°C?

:mmm:

Way back indeed... :wink:

A bloke on the radio from pitchcare.com said it would cost £180,000/£200,000 to install undersoil heating if not done as part of a complete pitch reconstruction. It would also cost £3,500 per day in runnnig costs. The final say is with the ref, and if only an aea of a couple of square metres of the pitch is not satisfactory, he would call the game off in the interest of the players' safety.

The problem with undersoil heating is that it dries out the pitch, and then irrigation is required.

:shock:

That's that then! I assume that is only when it's switched on? Or is it for general maintenance including the irrigation and what not?

The final say is with the ref, and if only an aea of a couple of square metres of the pitch is not satisfactory, he would call the game off in the interest of the players' safety.

Burton Albion's game was called off last night because of the pitch, but Nigel Clough took training on it for the last time and added:

"I’m going to miss working with them. They’ve been training, on a treacherous pitch, running around like small kids at times, laughing and enjoying it. I’ll miss that.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Weren't we one of the first club to install undersoil heating way back?

Also, why the hell did we not get undersoil heating again when we went back to grass? We were in the top flight at the time and we had a few quid! Surely it would have been better to spend some money on that rather than £800K on Ian Olney!!!

my mate in a nearby town said the answer to our problems could be lighting loads of fires in metal dustbins or braziers on the pitch,perhaps people who are in industrial disputes could give us some tips on how to light and keep the fires burning

That's a plan

There is a marked improvement in the weather here in the central Midlands, with all frost having disappeared. What's it like up around ISZ today?

Milder, but a forecast of -3 to -5 for tonight and tomorrow...

That's what my desktop widget thingy says anyhow....

:unsure:

EDIT: May I add that there is still widespread snow on the ground too...

There is a marked improvement in the weather here in the central Midlands, with all frost having disappeared. What's it like up around ISZ today?

Coalshaw Green Park is at the back of my house and although there is no snow on the street there is loads on the park still. Going for my Hereford tickets this afternoon will post an update.

Coalshaw Green Park is at the back of my house and although there is no snow on the street there is loads on the park still. Going for my Hereford tickets this afternoon will post an update.

Overnight lows for tonight and tommorow are forecast to be no lower than zero.

If they can remove the snow and if the soil underneath isn't frozen, they can put overnight covers to protect against frost and the pitch should be ok for Saturday, when the temperature is set to zoom to 5-6C.

It's very mild here on the Fylde, temp around 5C, sunny and no frost anywhere.

The weather forecast in the Advertiser is looking good, but no temperature given for tonight.

Today

Forecast: Periods of sun

Rain probability: 7%

Temp High: 5°C / 42°F

Wind Strength: Light Breeze

Wind Direction: South

Tonight

Forecast: Partly cloudy

Friday

Forecast: Mostly sunny

Rain probability: 1%

Temp High: 5°C / 41°F

Temp Low: -1°C / 29°F

Wind Direction: South-South-East

Saturday

Forecast: Partly sunny

Rain probability: 5%

Temp Low: 2°C / 36°F

Wind Strength: Moderate Breeze

my mate in a nearby town said the answer to our problems could be lighting loads of fires in metal dustbins or braziers on the pitch,perhaps people who are in industrial disputes could give us some tips on how to light and keep the fires burning

Rochdale have mastered that art it seems .. seen them on SSN with the pitch alight!

Edited by kellys_discopants

The weather forecast in the Advertiser is looking good, but no temperature given for tonight.

Today

Forecast: Periods of sun

Temp High: 5°C / 42°F

Tonight

Forecast: Partly cloudy

Friday

Forecast: Mostly sunny

Rain probability: 1%

Temp Low: -1°C / 29°F

Wind Direction: South-South-East

Saturday

Forecast: Partly sunny

Rain probability: 5%

Temp Low: 2°C / 36°F

Wind Strength: Moderate Breeze

I woner how they manage to forecast rain possibility at 7% and 1% and 5%. Surely they could just say very low!!

I woner how they manage to forecast rain possibility at 7% and 1% and 5%. Surely they could just say very low!!

Greegs in his LW interview reckons its 70/30 against it being on. Pitch is still rock hard as of this morning.

Edited by oafcprozac