And I Thought We We're Skint

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Feeney isn't a goalscorer though, he's a second striker, like Tounkara, Abbott or Paul Warne. We need someone who is going to consistently put the ball in the net and not worry about creating chances for others.

And where will we find one of them? Any goal scorer will be playing regular 1st team football.

with white coming in, we've got six players who could compete for 2 places. it's always good to have competition but i think dickov is creating possibly more than he needs, especially if the loaned-out players come back and want to play. i hope he knows what he is doing because we need to get rid of players like worthington, lomax, purdie, jacobson and even gregan unfortunately.

im not trying to count out white before he even plays and i hope he is a useful loan player for us, but if we're in the :censored:, how can we afford to have a squad of 30-odd players.

this move probably means jacobson is going, but it might mean moving alessandra upfront as the striker to play off tounkara.

In Dickov we trust. So far he has done well with his loan signings - but I do wonder why we have another left winger - maybe he will share the left wing spot with Evina - meaning that each can play flat out for the time they are on the pitch. :blink:

its just my opinion, he has only scored this season against league two side ( i think ) and he hardly starts at charlton, last season he looked good because he was surrounded by :censored:e players or players who couldnt be arsed playing for a :censored: like penny.

now he is at a club where he is surrounded by good players he has been found out he is average player. just.

To be fair, I think it's not easy for a striker to look good because the players around him are :censored: - I think it takes for the opposition defence to be :censored: for that. Abbott was not :censored: for us. He did carry us with goals and hold up play, and playing a role that few would envy, then he was clearly :censored:ed, for whatever reason. Can't really see what there is to debate except whther he might have chased the odd extra ball down into the corner.

The Alan Sheehan loan is an interesting point – he came with minimal fuss; in fact Leeds fans on 606 and a few on who came on here were very derogatory and derisory about his ability; they were really glad he went out on loan; not so he could get games and improve fitness; so he was off the wage bill and out of the club.

This young lad White; well it seems it’s the exact opposite. Leeds fan at work rates him highly; and thinks he should be getting more game time than he has – but Grayson also has Snodgrass; Johnson, Gradel & Sanchez Watt who can & have all been playing wide left; so White hasn’t been getting a look in. It’ll be interesting to see just how he plays, and what he’s like after reading / hearing how highly he appears to be rated by the lot over t’hill.

The one thing that jumps out at me about this loan though is; just because a player becomes available (for no wage contribution it appears)......doesn’t necessarily mean that you need to bring him in? Shez tinkered with loan after loan; many in positions we were covered in; so did Penney in the loan deal for Goodwin. What i’m getting at is; whilst it’s great to have options down the left – Black / Evina / Lewis / Taylor / Jacobson and now White.....do we really need to strengthen in that particular area? For me we are just 1 striker away from a really competitive side; not another left winger.

BUT - in Dickov we trust. Be interesting to see the line-up’s for the next few games anyway........

The Alan Sheehan loan is an interesting point – he came with minimal fuss; in fact Leeds fans on 606 and a few on who came on here were very derogatory and derisory about his ability; they were really glad he went out on loan; not so he could get games and improve fitness; so he was off the wage bill and out of the club.

This young lad White; well it seems it’s the exact opposite. Leeds fan at work rates him highly; and thinks he should be getting more game time than he has – but Grayson also has Snodgrass; Johnson, Gradel & Sanchez Watt who can & have all been playing wide left; so White hasn’t been getting a look in. It’ll be interesting to see just how he plays, and what he’s like after reading / hearing how highly he appears to be rated by the lot over t’hill.

The one thing that jumps out at me about this loan though is; just because a player becomes available (for no wage contribution it appears)......doesn’t necessarily mean that you need to bring him in? Shez tinkered with loan after loan; many in positions we were covered in; so did Penney in the loan deal for Goodwin. What i’m getting at is; whilst it’s great to have options down the left – Black / Evina / Lewis / Taylor / Jacobson and now White.....do we really need to strengthen in that particular area? For me we are just 1 striker away from a really competitive side; not another left winger.

BUT - in Dickov we trust. Be interesting to see the line-up’s for the next few games anyway........

Good post Sly and I agree with the Sheehan comparisons and that this might be one loan too many from Dickov and that we don't need to improve our depth on the left side over other areas of the pitch, but I'm happy with our front 2 at present and would be willing to give them time to find more goals because they allow the whole team to create so many chances. Taylor is the link between midfield and attack which brings the likes of Furman, Morais and Evina into the game in dangerous positions and Tounkara's "wrecking ball" description shows what a nightmare he is for opposition defenders! Neither of them are 20 goal a season strikers but I feel that taking either of them out of their current positions for another striker would take us backwards in the next couple of months.

Tounkara's "wrecking ball" description shows what a nightmare he is for opposition defenders! Neither of them are 20 goal a season strikers

Don't underestimate the Tonk.

He's scoring 1 in every 2 games at BP and if he could be a little more composed away from home he'd have knocked in 3 or 4 more.

While he might not get 20 this season, I'd suggest he will be a good enough striker to score 20 in this divison next season.

As for signing players on loan, all Dickov has done is use his contacts well. As a result he's been able to attract young talent, very possibly at very low cost. If he is ssen to be a manager who can develop that talent in a loan period, he has set us up with a supply line for the future - the Arsenals and Sunderlands of this world will want to repeat the process with their next crop of youth.

Previous loanees? Well I think it was a case of ringing up contacts and saying "we're desperate - lend us a journeyman please". Nuff said.

Edited by opinions4u

Previous loanees? Well I think it was a case of ringing up contacts and saying "we're desperate - lend us a journeyman please". Nuff said.

Previous ones have had a bit of a different scenario though. Sheridan was sniffing around the playoffs and Penney struggling in a relegation problem. It's a bit easier when your destination is mid-table obscurity (not saying that it definately is with Dickov, but if it isn't we'll see how the loans are in April).

I think you are damned either way if it doesn't work. If you get a kid in and he fails, then people are asking why an untried lad is being used (and why aren't our own kids being used instead of promoting someone elses players with experience). If you get an experienced pro in you are either seeing them back into form before they are taken off your hands, or seeing them back from injury.

are you saying we shouldn't keep him for the Championship?

No, because Shez is going to turn Deane Smalley in to a 30 goal a season Championship level striker.

Previous ones have had a bit of a different scenario though. Sheridan was sniffing around the playoffs and Penney struggling in a relegation problem. It's a bit easier when your destination is mid-table obscurity (not saying that it definately is with Dickov, but if it isn't we'll see how the loans are in April).

I think you are damned either way if it doesn't work. If you get a kid in and he fails, then people are asking why an untried lad is being used (and why aren't our own kids being used instead of promoting someone elses players with experience). If you get an experienced pro in you are either seeing them back into form before they are taken off your hands, or seeing them back from injury.

Far too balanced and reasonable!

Edited by opinions4u

Good post Sly and I agree with the Sheehan comparisons and that this might be one loan too many from Dickov and that we don't need to improve our depth on the left side over other areas of the pitch, but I'm happy with our front 2 at present and would be willing to give them time to find more goals because they allow the whole team to create so many chances. Taylor is the link between midfield and attack which brings the likes of Furman, Morais and Evina into the game in dangerous positions and Tounkara's "wrecking ball" description shows what a nightmare he is for opposition defenders! Neither of them are 20 goal a season strikers but I feel that taking either of them out of their current positions for another striker would take us backwards in the next couple of months.

I agree that Taylor is appearing to flourish in this new central role. Big Joe said he saw Taylor as a striker; it appears PD sees the same thing. The way he’d played against Hudds was a good as i’ve seen him play since; like, late 2007 – he looks far more of threat higher up the pitch; and as you say; he’s linked the play up really well over the last few weeks. His goal return isn’t too bad for someone who is learning a new position as he goes.

I said after watching the Tonk for a few times; I’d back him to get 10+ this season, and i still stand by that – but he adds far more to our side than just goals alone, his workrate, effort & link play is top-notch; and getting better & better with every passing week. His display vs Hudds was simple awesome.

I just feel that the one thing we miss is a poacher / finisher – easier said than done to find one I know – whether we already have that player on our books in Brooke remains to be seen – he was doing really well & looking the part in pre-season; I wonder whether this injury will have set him back, not just fitness wise but confidence wise......guess on time (& reserve games) will show that in Brooke’s case.

I said after watching the Tonk for a few times; I’d back him to get 10+ this season, and i still stand by that – but he adds far more to our side than just goals alone, his workrate, effort & link play is top-notch; and getting better & better with every passing week. His display vs Hudds was simple awesome.

Imagine defending against him for 90 minutes. You'd be absolutely shattered after 70 and start making a lot more mistakes.

+1 i am prepared to trust dickov as we are getting results, but i do think that come january, we will see more of what type of manager he is. he will need to persuade people to take the likes of worthington, purdie, lomax etc of our hands, keep off interest from bigger clubs for players like lee, furman and taylor, and also keep the squad with the same atmosphere it seems to have at the moment.