Players not paid

Everyone is out of contract except for Lee, Jones, Furman, Taylor, Millar, Feeney, Brooke, Bembo-Leta (all contracted to 2012) and Stephens (2013).

That's 14 players out of contract this summer (not including Dickov) and one likely to be sold. There are also six squad players on non-contract or youth terms (Gerrard, Tarkowski, Carr, Winchester, Burns and Crompton) who could walk.

I think this could be a good year to be a youth team player, as I think we will be offering more contracts to them this year as they are cheap and some that wouldn't perhaps get one might.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is out of contract except for Lee, Jones, Furman, Taylor, Millar, Feeney, Brooke, Bembo-Leta (all contracted to 2012) and Stephens (2013).

That's 14 players out of contract this summer (not including Dickov) and one likely to be sold. There are also six squad players on non-contract or youth terms (Gerrard, Tarkowski, Carr, Winchester, Burns and Crompton) who could walk.

Trying to find a positive, that's a reasonable starting point to base a team around (plus Feeney....).

I think we have to resign ourselves to losing Stephens and probably Taylor.

Got to find the cash to get Tarky signed up on a longer deal.

After that Dickov (if he hasn't had enough and done one by then.....) will have to use his contacts for loans again.

If we dont pay the players surely thats a breach of their contracts and they could all go?

Yep. It's going to be a struggle from now until the end of the season,

Surely, though, it would be easier for the club to pay the wages over the summer if they only had 8 first-team players to pay, when all the out of contracts have gone?

Not ideal preparation for next season, but at least we'd still be in business.

Edited by JoeP

Surely, though, it would be easier for the club to pay the wages over the summer if they only had 8 first-team players to pay, when all the out of contracts have gone?

...and I reckon we could offload/sell three of those in Lee, Taylor and Furman. That'd leave Jones, Millar, Feeney, Brooke and Bembo-Leta. Of which only Jones and Feeney will be on a wage of any level.

So the players could become irrelevent financially. The ground/lease of another ground could be a problem though. Along with the fortunes we'll owe various companies/people.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

The thing with player contracts is that they end on 30 June, but you are still obliged to pay them in July, even if they have been released.

The thing with player contracts is that they end on 30 June, but you are still obliged to pay them in July, even if they have been released.

What? We have to pay people out of a fixed term contract? That sounds like the kind of madness only the Football league could come up with. Wouldn't stand a hope in hell in a court of law would it?

What? We have to pay people out of a fixed term contract? That sounds like the kind of madness only the Football league could come up with. Wouldn't stand a hope in hell in a court of law would it?

It would in any other line of work if that is how the contract was written

e.g

"Fixed term 2 year contract for work from date xx to date yy (xx + 2 years) with a final extra payment on date xx + 1 month."

It's hardly a surprise for the board and should have been budgeted for. Then again, taking on extra players without proper regard to the budget seems to have been the order of the day so who knows what the board is doing with the numbers.

DICKOV OUT!!!

This has nothing to do with Dickov this is boardroom issue,granted Oldhams performance on the pitch may be a reflection of what is going on behind the scenes but Dickov shouldn't be tarred with the brush of a bad manager WE HAVE NO MONEY and are stuck in this vicious circle Players can only go out (Stephens) nothing is gonna come in

This has nothing to do with Dickov this is boardroom issue,granted Oldhams performance on the pitch may be a reflection of what is going on behind the scenes but Dickov shouldn't be tarred with the brush of a bad manager WE HAVE NO MONEY and are stuck in this vicious circle Players can only go out (Stephens) nothing is gonna come in

Welcome to owtb.

Within the natural state of depression being a Latics fan brings, there is occasional humour. I suspect you've just replied to a very tongue in cheek comment :wink: .

It would in any other line of work if that is how the contract was written

e.g

"Fixed term 2 year contract for work from date xx to date yy (xx + 2 years) with a final extra payment on date xx + 1 month."

It's hardly a surprise for the board and should have been budgeted for. Then again, taking on extra players without proper regard to the budget seems to have been the order of the day so who knows what the board is doing with the numbers.

I imagine it was budgeted for but budgets are only estimates and the income side must be way out. Would agree on the extra players point though

Walsall FC manages to stay in the black. It gets income from a Sunday market held outside the stadium, with about 250 stalls selling a huge range of all new products. The market trades every week and is the biggest Sunday market in the Midlands.

5558773421_2e77938d99_z.jpg

Has been done before used to be a regular car boot/sunday market on the car park but if memory serves me right traders on tommyfield objected as it was supposedly affecting trade and the council pulled or restricted the liecence

Tommyfield is just a car park now anyways. Couldn't we have just offered competitive rates so they coud have their stalls at BP?

Should look into this as an idea over summer if not sooner as lot of people are using car boots as an extra source of income in this 'recession' to boost coffers and get rid of unneeded stuff.

Tommyfield is just a car park now anyways. Couldn't we have just offered competitive rates so they coud have their stalls at BP?

Should look into this as an idea over summer if not sooner as lot of people are using car boots as an extra source of income in this 'recession' to boost coffers and get rid of unneeded stuff.

I can#t believe how much the Council has stiched usup, but yes, i think it it worth looking at this again, expe4cially as they seem to be talking now.

not hat I ahve any idea about Car bok Sale economics, but they seem to generate q fair amount of money.

Would the problem be Blitz wanting a cut?

but we could chip some of the debt?

Edited by singe

If we are on the edge of Admin why the hell would we sign Jason Lowe and more importantly why would Blackburn let him come here!!!

We have quite a few midfielders on the books so it really doesn't make any sense.

We also have the players presentation night a month away....why would the White Hart take a booking if the club was in such a financial mess.

The club are still advertising this 'Evolution' on the main website.....things don't quite add up.

I know they have to carry on for as long as possible but why no word from the trust?????

Trying to find a positive, that's a reasonable starting point to base a team around (plus Feeney....).

I think we have to resign ourselves to losing Stephens and probably Taylor.

Got to find the cash to get Tarky signed up on a longer deal.

After that Dickov (if he hasn't had enough and done one by then.....) will have to use his contacts for loans again.

As Rudemedic says, it might not be a bad time to be a 2nd year scholar - if you're on the 50-50 list; I think our financial situation means you've more of a chance of staying than you might have done previously....

signing 3/4/5 of the youth team on 1 year pro deals to fill out the squad will surely be cheaper in wages than going out and getting released established players on free transfers?

I'd also imagine that Stephens is a goner; deal will be done in the summer for an 'undisclosed fee' transfer - and TBH I'd expect another one from Lee, Furman or Taylor will also go......doesnt leave us with much in terms of quality or numbers......but the numbers one plays into our hands somewhat given our current inabiliy to pay the staff.