Jose Baxter

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why are you so sure?

what do you actual know regarding that transfer?

Was told at the time (from a club employee) that shez was told there was potential for a deal to be done for O'gragy but he didn't fancy him, only for corney to do a deal anyway using some of the budget, and that's why he never really got the chance here...

Could be complete bull:censored:, but that's what I wer told!

not a personal dig at you Gaz_oafc but.....

its amazing how many club employees know the ins and outs of club transfers

not only know about them but know how the managers feel about said players

not only that they then tell their Latics supporting mates all about it!

Edited by palmer1

not a personal dig at you Gaz_oafc but.....

its amazing how many club employees know the ins and outs of club transfers

not only know about them but know how the managers feel about said players

not only that they then tell their Latics supporting mates all about it!

i don't think it is

surely 3rd division football managers whinge, moan and talk as much, if not more than the rest of us?

i don't think it is

surely 3rd division football managers whinge, moan and talk as much, if not more than the rest of us?

this is by the way a manager who wont let his own fans know who is injured or fit in case someone guesses his team for Saturday

Edited by palmer1

From what I saw of Baxter in the first half of the reserves match today he looks a neat and tidy player, but not the 'run through a brick wall' type PD reckons he favours.

He functioned mostly around the halfway line (deeper than Simpson plays), so if that's the position Latics are going to play him he won't score or create many goals IMO.

Again it showed the need for an out and out striker as Taylor struggled to little effect on his own.

Young winger Sutherland looks promising and I thought he shaped much better than Hughes - who was on the opposite flank..

Edited by BP1960

do you think that 3rd division football is the same as Sunday League???

Mike Bassett England Manager was not a real documentary you know???

why do you think that once you drop below the championship all managers want everyone to know the clubs business?

this is by the way a manager who wont let his own fans know who is injured or fit in case someone guesses his team for Saturday

:o

In todays chron PD says he knows we're short in the forward department and is hoping we can do a deal with baxter..........so why today ( according to BP1960 and others ) has he seemingly played in a midfield role??.........I don't get it, we're desperate for bodies in the box, in the hope of sticking one in the onion bag.

“I feel great and cannot wait to get training with the lads,” Jacobson said. “New manager Dave Penney has a reputation of getting the best out of players, that suits me fine. I can’t wait to show the fans what I can bring to the party.”

Wow.

In todays chron PD says he knows we're short in the forward department and is hoping we can do a deal with baxter..........so why today ( according to BP1960 and others ) has he seemingly played in a midfield role??.........I don't get it, we're desperate for bodies in the box, in the hope of sticking one in the onion bag.

Baxter could turn out to be a decent schemer, but with the system operated by Latics (even in the reserves) with a striker who cannot hold up the ball isolated some 20 yards ahead way its a talent wasted. Baxter would be fine just behind 2 strikers - similar to how Kilkenny operated, but unless PD has a tactical rethink Im afraid its going to be much of the same.

From what I have seen I would now put Sutherland ahead of Hughes, Winchester or Millar, the drawback is he's an out and out winger and would probably be starved of the ball in the first team and not be effective.

Another problem would be Sutherland likes to fire in low hard crosses and as we have seen in the seniors there's often no one in the box who could take advantage.

Mellor seems to have gone backwards and didn't look to be happy in his role as a defensive midfielder - although the one time he did venture forward he scored a goal.

My impression is Latics players are tied into rigid tactical systems and this is inhibiting their natural talents.

Throw off the shackles is my advice and let the attack minded midfielders play with some freedom of expression giving them 2 strikers to supply instead of one.

Edited by BP1960

Baxter could turn out to be a decent schemer, but with the system operated by Latics (even in the reserves) with a striker who cannot hold up the ball isolated some 20 yards ahead way its a talent wasted. Baxter would be fine just behind 2 strikers - similar to how Kilkenny operated, but unless PD has a tactical rethink Im afraid its going to be much of the same.

From what I have seen I would now put Sutherland ahead of Hughes, Winchester or Millar, the drawback is he's an out and out winger and would probably be starved of the ball in the first team and not be effective.

Another problem would be Sutherland likes to fire in low hard crosses and as we have seen in the seniors there's often no one in the box who could take advantage.

Mellor seems to have gone backwards and didn't look to be happy in his role as a defensive midfielder - although the one time he did venture forward he scored a goal.

My impression is Latics players are tied into rigid tactical systems and this is inhibiting their natural talents.

Throw off the shackles is my advice and let the attack minded midfielders play with some freedom of expression giving them 2 strikers to supply instead of one.

I've never heard of Sutherland; is he right or left sided?

I've never heard of Sutherland; is he right or left sided?

Right winger, quick, strong running, good ball control, fires in streams of crosses defences find difficult to cope with.

For those who remember similar to Carl Valentine though maybe not quite as rapid..

Edited by BP1960

I hope I'm wrong but Mellor looks to me like becoming the new Scott McNiven. Rumours of the biggest clubs being after him as he emerged. Turned out to be utterly :censored:.

I hope I'm wrong but Mellor looks to me like becoming the new Scott McNiven. Rumours of the biggest clubs being after him as he emerged. Turned out to be utterly :censored:.

IMO Mellor needs to be the key man driving the team on, but under he current Latics tactical system he's just a small cog in the wheel, it would not surprise me to see him fulfil a leading role at another club in the future, say Rochdale or Bury.

David Mellor if played correctly will earn the club a lot of money. He's a left-footed central midfielder, that needs licence to get forward, his development is stagnating through a manager that is bereft of how to get the best out of his players.

Mellor will score goals from midfield, if used with any sort of attacking ambition. Instead his manager plays him at left-back and hangs him out to dry or wants him to play just in front of the back four, like Furman, Winchester and M'Changama have been asked to do too.