Has tonight delayed the inevitable?

Yes, unconvincing tonight by all accounts

Slightly concerned that the team and tactics seems to be so predictable, regardless of previous performances.

Probably more about the result than performance tonight, but PD's a lucky chicken.

No Baxter or Montano for Saturday is going to force his hand - it might even work in our favour.

Edited by JoeP

it's made the inevitable less inevitable. for which we should be grateful (I think).

can you have degrees of inevitability?

I don't believe you can. Likewise, a must win game is no such thing if you are still getting sacked after winning it, surely it's a, "makes no odds," game?

PD says in his Monday interview that he and SC new in the summer that this would be a very difficult season, more or less saying that they new it would be a relegation battle. How does that tie in with PD saying that this is the bes group of players he has had at the club, and SC stating that the budget is around the middle of the league, compared with other clubs. That budget means if we finish below 11th. PD has failed.

PD says in his Monday interview that he and SC new in the summer that this would be a very difficult season, more or less saying that they new it would be a relegation battle. How does that tie in with PD saying that this is the bes group of players he has had at the club, and SC stating that the budget is around the middle of the league, compared with other clubs. That budget means if we finish below 11th. PD has failed.

Before the big kick-off SC also said he wouldn't be surprised if we won the divisiion or got in to the playoffs and there was no chance of us being in the relegation places, so it doesn't sound like he thought it would be a relegation battle!!

I said ages ago he's a dead man walking.

I think it's waiting for a poor home performance against mediocre opposition as part of an extended winless run. Until then he'll cling on.

No winner last night and a bore draw with Shrewsbury would have seen him gone. As it is he got the win, which is great, and the clock gets reset. The cycle will continue until we lose a couple of more difficult games and then fail to put away a bottom Half team at BP.

Dickov the player was a bloody hard worker who chased down every lost cause. He's no quitter. Uncle Simon will have to make the decision.

It has for me delayed the inevitable but lets just celebrate the win, the thing is win Saturday and we are again half way up the table and I would imagine his job will again be safe until xmas

Still only 2 points clear of the bottom 4, lose again Saturday and we're back in the :censored: mix - Baxter and Monty will be big losses but we have options it's up to the manager to pick l, the right team and to set our stall out to go for the jugular. A monkey hanging brain fart got us out of jail last night, I'm looking for something more convincing on Saturday then take Tuesday out of the equation it's all about the cup tie........

I said ages ago he's a dead man walking.

I think it's waiting for a poor home performance against mediocre opposition as part of an extended winless run. Until then he'll cling on.

No winner last night and a bore draw with Shrewsbury would have seen him gone. As it is he got the win, which is great, and the clock gets reset. The cycle will continue until we lose a couple of more difficult games and then fail to put away a bottom Half team at BP.

Dickov the player was a bloody hard worker who chased down every lost cause. He's no quitter. Uncle Simon will have to make the decision.

Beats Donny in the cup and he gets a prolonged stay of execution, until Feb/March at the earliest.

Can't see Dickov just leaving due to results. Who was the last manager that just walked away due to a poor set of results? There are some high profile premier league managers that have quit without a job to go to knowing that they'll get another one down the line, but hardly any lower league boss just leaves, and if it's by mutual consent that only really means one thing.

In any event it's not really about the boss. It's about the future of the club, and in the short term, preserving its League 1 status with things hopefully progressing off the pitch, so three points is a welcome three points whoever is in charge now and however long they will last.

it's made the inevitable less inevitable. for which we should be grateful (I think).

can you have degrees of inevitability?

Nah - but you can have degrees of probability. The situation at the moment is fluid - not sure what the performance was like last night but the recent trend has been a downward one - however a win can often change the mood and confidence in the team. Shrewsbury do not travel well and it is important that we get at them early.

No Baxter (wil be missed) no Montano (not a great loss given his recent form). But still a good chance to put back to back victories together.

If we lose then the probability of a managerial change increases...

I also think its all about the FA Cup match.

If we dont get to the 3rd round, it will push SC into making a change.

While I have always been in Dickov's corner, some recent results and performances (Bury & Tranmere) have made me realise that I am not sure he has the tactical nouse to change a match when it isn't working.

It pisses me off how he keeps squeezing the likes of Simpson in there rather than using Smith and changing the formation around.

I like him and I hope he turns it around..................... watch this space!

Guest Scratch2000uk

Although i'm happy about the three points. Hartlepool are dire, and for people to thank luck that we beat them, tells a story.

Dickov's first few months were great, but ever since, it's been mainly a downward spiral, with the occasional upbeat performances. I'm getting rather bored of it now, a team, that on paper should be doing better, but are constantly lacking on the pitch.

I'm not sure who's to blame for it though, Is it the players inconsistency? Is that why they are here anyway? or, is it down to Dickov to get out of them, what other managers couldn't get from them?

Although i'm happy about the three points. Hartlepool are dire, and for people to thank luck that we beat them, tells a story.

Dickov's first few months were great, but ever since, it's been mainly a downward spiral, with the occasional upbeat performances. I'm getting rather bored of it now, a team, that on paper should be doing better, but are constantly lacking on the pitch.

I'm not sure who's to blame for it though, Is it the players inconsistency? Is that why they are here anyway? or, is it down to Dickov to get out of them, what other managers couldn't get from them?

If Dickov had inherited this team then you could say that the players were to blame, but the fact is Dickov has brought in every single one of last nights starting eleven apart from Furman so it is his side and SC has backed him well to bring these players in. Therefore its up to PD to get the best out of the players he signed, however the players also need to shoulder some of the blame. We will never know what he says to them in the dressing room before, at half time and at full time, and we may never know if its the players not carrying out the instructions or whether they are carrying them out to the letter. Whatever happens, last night only papered over ever increasing cracks. Dickov will still most likely be gone by Christmas at the latest as I just dont have any faith or confidence that he will turn it around. That said though I hope he does and we kick into gear!

I said at 1-1 that it's a typical Dickov performance. We've thrown away too many points this season against some very poor sides, if Dickov manages to claw back some of these points in tougher games then he'll deserve to stay but last nights result doesn't get him out of the hole he's dug by failing to beat the likes of Walsall, Coventry, Bury, Scunthorpe etc

Edited by Tommy_Fent