Accuse me of watching a different game by all means but last 2 games has seen wes return almost back to his best. Just need a creative midfielder next to him.

We have....Baxter!!!

I'd even put M'Changama in that slot.

Edited by mikejh45

He said in the 'Chron that his role now was more defensive.

Maybe he just thought ":censored: it, I'll go back to how I used to play"...or maybe Dickov has been staying up late and reading this board.

Have to think if Dickov had been reading this board he would have gone himself this morning, didn't seem to have too many friends on here yesterday. But I suppose he still wont have too many today.

Have to think if Dickov had been reading this board he would have gone himself this morning, didn't seem to have too many friends on here yesterday. But I suppose he still wont have too many today.

He is obviously aware of this forum and he would have to be extremely strong-willed not to come on here and read what the fans are saying. It is human nature.

You are right, he still won't have many friends but I think that Corney has definitely put him in the 'last chance saloon' with his actions, this morning.

He is obviously aware of this forum and he would have to be extremely strong-willed not to come on here and read what the fans are saying. It is human nature.

You are right, he still won't have many friends but I think that Corney has definitely put him in the 'last chance saloon' with his actions, this morning.

I should imagine SC reads these forums.

Wes and Furman as a partnership are limited IMO. They are too similar players; they dont compliment each other. Now; whether they've been asked to both do the defensive role; or they've naturally drifted into that during games remains to be seen.

We are crying out for a Gary MacDonald type midfielder IMO. Someone who is consistently going to break beyond the midfield zone and push into the box; whilst not forgotting the defensive side of the game. To accomodate that type of midfielder; i'd always want a more defensive minder CM along side them - be that deep lying ball player a la a Sheridan, a Wellens or a Kilkenny type; or an out & out ball winner in the Milligan esq role.

Out of the 2 - its Wes all day for me. I'm not sure what Furman actually is? Wes is better at the breaking up the play / tackling / hassling role; and is IMO just as good / on par with Furman's abilities when further up the pitch.

I think Furman leaving for the African Cup of Nations will be a blessing actually. Its a chance for Wes to be paired with either M'Changama or Mellor; either of which will IMO offer more going forward than Furman currently does.

Its been passed over with todays news; but Furman's performance on Saturday was IMO a disgrace. On this seasons form; he shouldn't be anywhere near the side; and most certainly shouldnt be wearing the arm band.

As i say; him hopefully leaving for the ACN will be a positive rather than a negative.

I'm not sure what Furman actually is? Wes is better at the breaking up the play / tackling / hassling role; and is IMO just as good / on par with Furman's abilities when further up the pitch.

I think Furman leaving for the African Cup of Nations will be a blessing actually. Its a chance for Wes to be paired with either M'Changama or Mellor; either of which will IMO offer more going forward than Furman currently does.

I think Wes is far, far more effective with Baxter pulling the strings in midfield and Wes doing his donkey work. we try all the time at the through-the-eye-of-a-needle passes which nearly always get snuffed out but Baxter is the only one who can do that. New striker in, loan Smith out and bring in Eaves on loan. Far more teeth in that front line and Baxter providing the ammunition.

Give me the :censored:ing job.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Whilst Furman set up both of Smith's goals, I agree with Sly in that Furman's performance against Crewe was shocking and I thought he should have been taken off as the first sub. Wes is a solid team player who I personally think is best suited to the defensive midfield role along side an attacking central midfielder. Who would feed best off Wes? I think we've got two great attacking midfielders of Mchangama and Montano who have been played out of position on the wing whilst Furman gets a free ride without any pressure on his place.

I'm not knocking Furman's overall quality as we've all seen what product he can produce on his day but since his call up to South Africa, I believe he has played in second gear with not wanting to get injured and miss the African Cup of Nations. Along with negative defensive tatics, our midfield has become stale and predictable.

Today is a crucial game in the season and we therefore need to be attacking and win it, for me the line up would be:

Bouzanis

Brown, Mvoto, Byrne, Grounds

Croft, Wes, Montano

Mchangama

Smith, Baxter

I'd give Smith another chance as the little and large combination should work well against Scunthorpe, plus whilst his miss was a shocker, I thought he played well. That being said, if we're locked in a stale 0-0 after 60mins, Taylor should be utilised to see if he can do the business again.